Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Daydreaming

What is the right thing to do?

Tonight I was going to pick up two blue laying hybrid hens from an agent who told me he had association with two agents.
I have just spoken to one of these companies who has advised me that they don't use him anymore because of association with the 'other' company.
I was told the company has gone bankrupt owing lots of money, doing underhand stuff and stealing.
Does this make sense?

Anyway, the hens Iwas getting come from the 'other' company, and I have led to believe their are lots of people looking for them - they have been hidden.

What would you do? I'm confused and OH doesn't understand my dilemma
Bodger

As long as you get hands of your chickens at the same time that you hand over your money I can't see that you have any problems. Just look after your own interests.
Business can get nasty at times, just close your ears and enjoy your chickens ! Good luck, I hope your new arrivals do well for you !
Mrs Fiddlesticks

I think that would put me off. But of course who's to say who's telling the truth?

What about the hens themselves, are they in good condition, free of disease, welfare stand up to scrutiny?

Is it woth a quick call to trading standard who may have 'heard' of them and may have some unbiased info for you.
Daydreaming

They look okay and happy. They have a great big field to themselves. I still can't make up my mind. These hens are £20 Each
judith

That's a lot of quids for a hen. Even a blue egg-laying one.
Bodger

Judith is correct ! £20.00 is too much!
Daydreaming

They are all that much
judith

Daydreaming wrote:
They are all that much

Golly Shocked
Whereabouts do you live?
Daydreaming

All blue laying hens are that much. Meadowsweet and Goodlife.
Bodger

Theres obviously a lot of money to be made out there !
It sounds as though you've done your homework though.
I'll wait a few years untill they can hardly give them away. These new fads tend to be expensive at first and then become more reasonable in price. A bit like microwaves.
I bought one of the smallholding type magazines today and somebody was offering bargain starter herds of llamas at a £10,000 a trio Shocked I think I'll have two sets! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home