Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Cathryn

What is the world coming to

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22660132

and a few weeks ago someone stole a warehouse of hand made quilts.

I thought I had started nice peaceful pursuits. All quilters and beekeepers are nice people aren't they? Sad
Rob R

People are people, whatever they do & where there is value, there are criminals.
Lorrainelovesplants

down here the going rate for a nuc of bees is 190.

Thats a fairly easy way to make a bit of money if you have the kit and the balls to do it.
Treacodactyl

I thought it was quite common for bee hives to be nicked?

How do you guarantee not to be buying a stolen hive, I assume they are not simply sold by a dodgy bloke down the local?
Lorrainelovesplants

some people mark their hives - routing on letters or burning into boxes/lids etc with an iron, but no-one marks the actual frames (as far as I know).
I can actually see the thing where a bar will padlock the hive onto a solid base - eg a concrete plinth or such.....

lot of money in bees & hives.
Jamanda

I thought it was quite common for bee hives to be nicked?

How do you guarantee not to be buying a stolen hive, I assume they are not simply sold by a dodgy bloke down the local?

You buy it from somewhere reputable like this

But I think in the case in the OP, it was not the hive that was nicked but the actual frames of bees.

Again- if you buy from your local bee association you can be sure they've raised them themselves. But that probably won't be the cheapest option.
mochasidamo

Again- if you buy from your local bee association you can be sure they've raised them themselves. But that probably won't be the cheapest option.

Except that you will get redress if there's a problem, follow up advice (hopefully) and hopefully healthy, well-bred bees. Local breeders need to keep their reputations...or they stop being recommended. Some associations subsidize beginner nucs too.
Mistress Rose

Sadly thefts of hives is not unknown and has been a problem for many years. As for the quilts, well, it has been cold.

I would always recommend going to a reputable supplier, one known to your beekeeping association, because, as you say, they have a reputation to keep up, and people also know them personally. Our association will arrange for beginners to have swarms that have been collected, so a service to the public, and bees for the beginners.
Jamanda

Except that you will get redress if there's a problem, follow up advice (hopefully) and hopefully healthy, well-bred bees. Local breeders need to keep their reputations...or they stop being recommended. Some associations subsidize beginner nucs too.

Mine was subsidised. But you had to complete the beginner's course. A very sensible way of doing things. You actually raised your own nuc on the course.
MikeM

Mine was subsidised. But you had to complete the beginner's course. A very sensible way of doing things. You actually raised your own nuc on the course.

mind if I ask who you did your course with? I'm thinking of doing a course in Holsworthy iin the new year, but would like to shop around a bit as well.
mochasidamo

[quote="MikeM:1343748"]

Excellent Smile
Jamanda

mind if I ask who you did your course with? I'm thinking of doing a course in Holsworthy iin the new year, but would like to shop around a bit as well.

Here.

http://www.northdevonbees.org/

An excellent bunch of people.
MikeM

thank you, I shall keep my eye out for when they next have a training course. alison

Here.

http://www.northdevonbees.org/

An excellent bunch of people.

Seconded.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home