Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Bodger

What killed my toad then?

We had visitors last night and we sat out in the garden with a glass or two. We saw them off the premises just before eleven and as we left the garden, my friends young daughter said she saw a frog go under the log store. The log store is a few yards away directly opposite our back door. We thought no more about it but at around 2.00 am, our kennel dogs went berserk and started barking as though something or someone was about. I nipped outside with a torch but couldn't see anything. The chickens were quiet, so I don't think that there was a fox about. The dogs stopped barking and I went back to bed.
When I got up this morning I went out through the backdoor and there was a huge dead toad laid out right in front of me. Something had eaten its head right off and left the body untouched. We don't have a cat and I'm at a loss as to what could have done for Mr Toad. scratch We like toads and he'd obviously been on this planet for a good few years, have you got any ideas as to what the culprit might have been? The dogs had obviously heard something going on. scratch
Went

They are quite bitter and toxic tasting so I understand so unless a cat had a bite and decided against it I really don't know - maybe a snake but not at night and not just the head.

Maybe a local princess kissed it and it went wrong Wink
dpack

horrid ,i like toads ,the critter vomiting somewhere is probably the perp

my bet is a local pussycat done it as most wild predators know that toads are not a good dinner
Jamanda

Badger?
buzzy

Body on the doorstep? Sounds like a cat to me. Are you sure you haven't got one?

Henry
Hairyloon

Did you hear about the mysterious plague of exploding toads a few years back?
Apparently caused by crows pecking out their livers.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home