Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Bugs

What livestock have you got?

Me 'n' Treacodactyl have three Sussex hens, as you are no doubt bored witless of hearing!

We keep them for eggs, for bug-eating (and sometimes Bugs-eating, if I don't hand over their food sharpish), and for, ahem, compost material. Inevitably they've wound up being pets too, and we're more attached to them than you'd think normal for a chicken.

When we have more room we'll probably consider keeping some other poultry, some for meat, and one day I'd like to have goats and bees.

I thought this might be a chat thing, but then thought it'd be handy to have in here and know what knowledge, experience, and interests people have got.

So what animals have you got lurking about your premises, and what do you keep them for?
tahir

None unfortunately
alison

Tahir wrote:
None unfortunately

What about a nice cat, or dog Very Happy Wink

Dogs a couple of feral cats, 6 ferrets a few hundred hens, horses and sheep geese(somewhere)
My faves are the chickens
I dont count the cobs because they'll be gone anyday , but aswell as the layers I also keep and breed various strains of Shamo
Wombat

We keep Kune Kune pigs, have a young gilt hopefully in pig now for a litter end Jan. These are kept as grazers, pets and the youngsters will be sold as pets, with the odd one going to slaughter, that's if we can bring ourselves to do it!
Hebridean sheep, these too are used as grazers (two acres) ewes at Tup at moment, then on to friends/family freezers.
Various rare breed chickens, for fun, looks and eggs, plus Indian Runner Ducks, because they are amuzing to watch and lay great eggs.
Not forgetting GSP & Italian Spinone for shooting.

Wombat
alison

At the moment we have about 35ewes,(poll dorsets) 10 wethers (Jacobs)and a ram.(texal) We start lambing this week!!
2 steers, Dexters, and 7 cows and heiffers. Calving at Easter.
No pigs, but more coming in the next couple of weeks.
100 week old ISA browns
320 assorted hens, including Isa Browns, Light Sussex, Black Rock, Goldline and Welbar. 2 Cocks, Welbar and LS
16 Khaki Campbell ducks, 3 Aylesburys ducks
5 Alpaccas, 1 intact and 4 wethers
1 spaniel in pup, due in 10 days.
Mrs Fiddlesticks

2 children
2 cats
and 3 chickens

oh and an OH!
sofaloaf

1 cat and 7 chickens- 1 pekin, pair of speckled sussex bantams, lite sussex bantam, lav araucana bant.,warren and a speckledy. Soon to be 4 geese too! A pair of white chinese and 2 others- can't wait- the chinese are my xmas present, the 2 others my bros xmas present.
anneka

Wombat wrote:
Not forgetting GSP & Italian Spinone for shooting.

Italian Spinones are amazing, a personal favorite.

4 Goats
2 Sheep
1 Goose
3 Ducks
7 Chickens (at the moment - duck and chickens vary)
4 Dogs
1 Cat

2 GOS Pigs due to arrive on Sunday.

Anneka
tahir

What are Italian Spinone?
anneka

Big dog - looks a bit like an otter hound.
tahir

Thanks
bimini

4 hens (light sussex, marans, welsummer, exchequer leghorn)
3 tortoises (hibernating)
3 guinea pigs
1 rabbit
1 dog (terrier mostly!)
High Green Farm

10 chickens (2 light sussex, 1 maran, 1 dark brahma, 2 hybrids, 3 welsummer and a cockerel that we haven't managed to work out the breed yet.
2 cats (down from 4)
4 horses

Then we have three partridge wyandotte on order, and pigs and ducks in next years plan.
Wombat

Just for Tahir, our Italian Spinone, Roxy

Bugs

I'd like to submit a formal complaint about the number of people on this forum with far too gorgeous dogs. It's just not fair if I can't have one too. You could at least have the decency to pretend they're chihuahuas or bichon fricassees or something else I wouldn't like to see curled up by my fireside. Evil or Very Mad

Grrr. Mad
anneka

Wombat - Roxy is lovely!

Bugs - I really do have a poodle - hope that helps!

Anneka
Bugs

Yes, but you see I've become less dismissive of poodles since I discovered they're proper dogs at heart and don't necessarily all have the blue-rinse and curlers look - I bet yours hasn't.

One of these days. Once we're able to give one the time it needs. And once I've decided between German Shepherd (childhood dog)...Wolfhound...Springer Spaniel...and about 3/4 of the pages of my "Hamlyn Book of Dogs of the World". Laughing
Treacodactyl

Wombat wrote:
Just for Tahir, our Italian Spinone, Roxy

I bet she keeps your toes warm on a winters eve. Very Happy
alison

Bugs,

We will have some very gorgeous, cuddly puppies in 10 days time , hopefully. Liver and White English Springer Spaniel Cool Wink
Bugs

Rub it in, why don't you Sad Wink
alison

I come over to the South east quite regularly too Very Happy Wink
Treacodactyl

This is a bit of a long storey. Bugs would like an Alsatian and I would love a spaniel. I particularly like the Brittany Spaniels but I don't think there are that many in the UK.

I have had a fair bit of time off work (out of choice) and I had just decided there was no more work for me and decided to finally get a dog and the next day I was offered some more work. Very Happy and Sad at the same time.

The offer's too good to turn down, but it means no hounds and no moving for a year or so. It's a shame because I had thought about asking you. Good luck with them and don't post any pictures. Wink
alison

I wanted the spaniel and DH wanted an Alsation!!

Pictures coming soon!! Wink
Lindsay

I currently have:
3 children
1 cat
1 DH
1 bantam Welsummer hen
2 Araucana x black rock pullets (soon to be 1)
1 11 week old Oakham Blue chick (soon to have a friend)
1 2 week old Oakham Blue chick (which is white)
1 10 day old ISA brown chick (currently away from home)

There'll be no more this side of Christmas.
anneka

Lindsay did you hatch both your Oakham Blue chick from tesco eggs?

Anneka
Lindsay

Yes I did, and now my local Morrisons stock Oakham Blue eggs by themselves, not with other types in the same box, so after Christmas I will be having another go Very Happy
anneka

Very respectable!

Well done, I am thinking of getting an incubator, at the moment I have a friend with one, who will oblige with duck eggs etc.

For food chicken wise I would buy the day old ross cob chicks from the chicken farm down the road, kind of a strange rescue misssion though Confused !

What kind of incubator do you have, and what would you reccomend?

Anneka
Lindsay

I have had all sorts of problems with mine but it's a home made one (myself and my DH built it) so until it's working reliably I won't write an article about it.

I would recommend Brinsea Octagons. I haven't used one myself but if I was going to buy one rather than build another I would get one of those. They seem good value for money and hold their value well on the secondhand market too. The Octagon 10 holds 12 hens eggs I believe, and the Octagon 20 holds 24. There's a company on Ebay called Hatch It Incubators or something like that, and they do a beginners set which seems good for the price. Otherwise most other companies e.g. Ascott, Interhatch, do free shipping if you buy an incubator.

My friend has a Novital Covatutto 12 and although it should hold 12 eggs there'll be no room for them to rock around and hatch easier, and I don't know for certain that the water trays give sufficient humidity.

Hope this helps - Brinsea have a good reputation from what I've heard.

As for meat birds, we start breeding some for ourselves this coming spring.
Bugs

Lindsay wrote:
1 10 day old ISA brown chick (currently away from home)

At university, is (s)he? Laughing
Lindsay

Laughing No. She (fingers crossed, already sexed by a professional) is where I was staying last week and was collected locally from near there but I wasn't allowed to bring her home on the bus and it would have been too long a journey for such a small peep. I'm expecting her on Monday.
Debbie

what livestock have you got

One husband
one cat
one great dane
2 horses
7 ewes (6 greyface dartmoor one jacobs)
1 border leicester ram
3 pigs (1 Berkshire gilt (Kylie) soon to be put to the boar and two
Berkshire x large white ready February)
4 Dorking x cockerals until tomorrow Wink
4 hybrids and 2 LS and 1 wellsomer hen as well as a LS cockeral
3 or 4 other cockerals not quite big enough YET
4 10 day old chicks
6 Oakham blue eggs in the incubator
anneka

did you get the oakham blue eggs from tescos?

good luck with the incubation - and for their sake given the form I hope they arn't all cockrels Very Happy ! Unless (for your sake - of course) they are particuarly tasty!

Anneka
Goldfinch

New hens

Yesterday I got my new hens Very Happy

Bantam araucanas; 3 lavender, 1 white and 1 red/black Smile Smile Smile

1 dog (Jack Russell x ? whippet)
2 cats
1 rabbit ........ toughest guy you ever met!

Have got plans for some ducks next year ................ shhh

Goldfinch
anneka

Number one to Mothership!

DUCKS????? Shocked

He'll go mad you know!

Anneka
Goldfinch

Ducks

Miniature Silver Appleyard Very Happy

They had them at the place where I got my bantams.
Apparently, they are really good mothers, so only need to buy a pair to get lots of lovely ducklings.

Don't say anything yet Wink

He really likes the chooks.......

Goldfinch
anneka

lots and lots of lovely ducks!

My lips are sealed Wink !
Debbie

Hi anneka

The eggs came from Morrisons - a friend got them for me. Tesco put only one Oakham Blue in each box but at Morrisons you can buy a box of six,

Fingers crossed for the 18 December
anneka

supermarket chicks!

Thats exciting!

I am very tempted to invest in an incubator from ascot and make a trip down there - I think that Safeway is Morrisons now so there is one quite near me.

I wish you all the best with yours, please let me know how it goes on the 18th.

Thank you,

Anneka
katie

Hi everyone.

I've got;

two goatlings, one British Tog which I hoped was in kid but has just come back into season Rolling Eyes and one little Bagot.
6hens of various sorts and Welsummer cockerel

3 Lavender Pekin bantams

1 spaniel, two cats ,and three guinea pigs.Projects for next year include quail , chickens for meat and ducks.

Katie
tahir

The goats sound great, any piccies?
Sarah D

Two less chickens than I had at the beginning of the week Crying or Very sad
tahir

Foxes?
alison

Sarah D wrote:
Two less chickens than I had at the beginning of the week Crying or Very sad

Oh dear, old age or preditor. Crying or Very sad
clive

My livestock

I am new to this site and this is my first post. My livestock which I keep on one of my three allotments consists of :

6 Welsummer hens
2 Welsummer cross hens
8 Black rocks ( laying machines)
A teenage son who has lost the abilty to communicate
A teenage daughter who will soon lose the ability to communicate and a very understanding and wonderful wife.
The last three are not kept on the allotment due to problems with animal welfare people. Great site. Merry christmas all.
tahir

Laughing
anneka

Debbie

I think thats the 18th now, hows it going with those eggs?

Fingers crossed for you Very Happy !

Anneka

EDIT - Just looked at the date Embarassed - for tomorrow then!
katie

Hi, tahir. No piccies at the moment as no camera! I'm hoping this will be remedied at Christmas!

Katie
tahir

katie wrote:
I'm hoping this will be remedied at Christmas!

have you been a good girl?

livestock

2 gos sows, 4 os&b weeners, 50 odd chickens, 7 shropie ewes.
Debbie

Hi Anneka

No news yet. Was expecting some piping this evening but none so far. Have candled. 4 looked like duds, one i couldn't tell and the other looked good.

Fingers crossed for some action
Sarah D

No fox problems here since we moved in 7 1/2 years ago, luckily. We know they are at the farm beside us, and over in the woods behind the house, but have never seen one, or seen any evidence of one. Strange but true, and we don't know the reason. However, we are around most of every day, they are all shut up securely at dusk and let out when it's light, and the dog sort of patrols the garden.
One chicken (ISA brown keeled over in the night, but I thought she was looking not too bright - pale wattle, slight hunch, gone next morning. The other one I had put down (maran)- prolapse suspected, and a couple of the others were starting to have a go at her. Took advice from a friend, and he put her down for me.
I hope to move into breeding Scots Dumpies and Scots Greys next year.
alison

Have you found any yet, as there have been some advertised in east Devon recently.
Sarah D

Not at the stage for stock yet; I have the website addresses of the Scots Dumpies and Greys, and will go from there when I'm ready. I would like the initial stock to come from Scotland, else I think it's a bit of an anomoly. Shocked
I like the idea of a crofter's chicken.
Bugs

We've got a lot of new members since this thread was last visited and I'd love to hear more about what people have, particularly as Rikki wants to hear more about ducks (and so do I)!

Any new members fancy telling us what animals they keep, and why? And where, and how?
Loopy Lou

I currently have:

4 chickens
1 dog
4 zebra finches
goldfish (in new pond and inside in a tank, soon to all be outside, then may get tropicals inside)

We had a cat and rabbit who both sadly left us earlier this year (old age). I have also in the not so distant past kept lizards, canaries and quail.

Very Happy Very Happy
nora

none
moogie

3 cats (one adopted from next door) - skitz, polly and cat, and two goldfish (one which escapes). - steven and Stephen spelt differently so I can tell them apart. Nothing useful really, although cat helps by digging in the garden and fertilising the lawn. Skitz helps by catching and eating mice, aphids, flies, snails, slugs you name it. Polly is totally useless and brings me slowworms as presents. She's not the sharpest tool in the box. But she is cute.
Wombat

Come on Nora
Your washable menstrual pads are so colourful, you must have names for some of them Exclamation Very Happy

Wombat
tahir

Only the wife and sprogs
Behemoth

Rugby finished?
tahir

Yup but I haven't watched it so pleeeaaase don't tell me who won.
Andy B

tahir wrote:
Only the wife and sprogs

Bet they love being refered to as "Livestock"
tahir

Andy B wrote:
Bet they love being refered to as "Livestock"

What they don't know won't hurt 'em Wink
nora

Wombat wrote:
Come on Nora
Your washable menstrual pads are so colourful, you must have names for some of them Exclamation Very Happy

Wombat

Fluffy and muffy have been suggested Laughing Embarassed
dave d

20 chickens 3 geese 11runners counting the 5 babys 2 appleyards 1 cat 1old jack russell called patch who,s 17 this year and fish in a pond
portwayfarm

10 chickens, 3 dogs and 7 cats. Watch this space though as next year pigs and cattle.
Hedgey

two speckled hens, two brown hens (forgot to ask what breed) all hybrids tho...still awaiting first eggs : Very Happy
oh and a minature sausage dog ...
Gertie

Come on, Hedgey, name names (especially your little dog).
Hedgey

Names

ok the speckled are Mable and Valarie the browns Cilla & Lulu and the pooch is Hector...

today I am the proud owner of their very first egg Laughing trouble is not sure who laid it !!! and no lion mark on it doh ! lol Laughing

New hobby egg checking!!!!
Gertie

Surprise, surprise!! It'll be Cilla's.

Your Hector is so cute.
Hedgey

Thank you, he is small with a huge attitude !! He chased a German Shepherd the other day. Good job he didnt catch him or else Hector would have got stuck in it's throat.
Gertie

Talking of attitude - we have two hens in our garden at the moment (well, one was picked on by the others and one has been on medication Embarassed ).

We let Nettie out to have a wander round the garden and she took a running jump at Toby (left) who was glaring at her from our conservatory. Needless to say the brave lad scarpered into the safety of our kitchen, whilst Nettie did a lap of honour round the garden! Confused
Bugs

You should have know Netties are always trouble Gertie Laughing
Kirstie

Ok well here goes, A shetland cow, two jersey cows with calves at foot, limousine calf, 2 ayrshires and 5 fresian calves, two dutch zwartbles tups, five dutch zwartbles ewes, 6 dutch zwartbles lambs, 6 goats of various breeds, poultry, pilgrim geese, chinese brown geese, saxony ducks, khaki campbell ducks, indian runner ducks, khaki campbell x Indian runners, light sussex hens, white silkies, Buff cochins, New Hampshire reds, Rhode Island Reds, Marans, speckled sussex, Isa Browns, golden pheasants, white peacock, Melanistic pheasants and numerous bantams for broody hens. 6 dogs, 9 cats, 8 guinea pigs, two rabbits, 10 pet lambs of mixed breeding, one shetland stallion, one irish cob stallion, one ISH Mare and one anglo arab x trotter. I think I have managed to get them all! I am cheating though as we do rescue animals, but they stay with us for life.
Nanny

livestock

kirstie

can i come and live with you ?

you are my kind of person

i dont' mind cleaning up animal poop but won't do humans..............
Kirstie

Sure Nanny, we need plenty of help, another lot of animals coming this weekend, never enough time in the day Laughing
woodyandluna

anneka wrote:
Lindsay did you hatch both your Oakham Blue chick from tesco eggs?

Anneka

Really?? Is this a joke?!!

Or am I just being gullible? Question
Treacodactyl

A few people managed to hatch the eggs from Tesco as they came from farms that ran cockerel with the hens. Fertile eggs will last a number of days before they need to be incubated so it is possible to hatch them. The was a rumour that the farms stopped running cockerels but that may not be true...
alison

Lindsay did indeed hatch her supermarket eggs. She also swapped the eggs around in a mixed box to get more of the blue ones to start with Cool
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home