Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
live the dream

what now?

i have just pulled up the last of my onions and beetroot which leaves a rather large area with nothing growing. what sort of things can i plant now? as it is only a few days into august im sure i could probly still plant things that are supposed to be planted in july. thanks
Bernie66

Try small carrots, look for a fast growing "early" variety/Amsterdam etc. You will get lettuce through if its a quick one, certainly radish and most of the chinese veg . Will be time to put in Japanese onions for overwintering round about now and garlic is usually September /October time i think.Also spring cabbage and turnips.
Enjoy
cab

What Bernie said. And also green manures if you feel so inclined.
live the dream

went to the garden center and bought carrots, turnip, chinese pak choi, cabbage and spring onion.
my last attempt at growing carrots was a failure as i have stoney clay soil. i have since then got the veg patch into much better working order and is now covered and dug in with compost off the compost heap. there is stil the odd stone around so i have dug 1foot deep trenches and filled them with stone free compost. hope this makes my crop more successful. i have read you should not recently manure the soil if you are going to plant carrots. does the same apply for composting?
thanks.
cab

live the dream wrote:
went to the garden center and bought carrots, turnip, chinese pak choi, cabbage and spring onion.
my last attempt at growing carrots was a failure as i have stoney clay soil. i have since then got the veg patch into much better working order and is now covered and dug in with compost off the compost heap. there is stil the odd stone around so i have dug 1foot deep trenches and filled them with stone free compost. hope this makes my crop more successful. i have read you should not recently manure the soil if you are going to plant carrots. does the same apply for composting?
thanks.

If you're talking about well rotted garden compost, and you're trying to grow baby carrots to last into the start of winter, I wouldn't worry about it. Sow them more thickly than you otherwise might, and you ought to get lots of little clumps of baby carrots.
live the dream

thanks cab, the compost was only off my compost heap so it was just rotted garden and kitchen waste.
cab

live the dream wrote:
thanks cab, the compost was only off my compost heap so it was just rotted garden and kitchen waste.

You ought to be okay. As long as it drains well and it's well composted, you ought to get away with that. If it were MY compost I'd be worried Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home