Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Cathryn

What's in your fridge?

I am a pretty hopeless housewife, the fridge is sometimes bursting with nice things to eat or more usually, like now, nearly empty. It's got half finished jars of homemade chutneys, bits and pieces of sauces, milk (although we did run out on Sunday Embarassed ) a large block of nice cheddar courtesy of SUMA, blue cheese and parmesan but not a lot else and it's a big fridge! It would be nice to improve and overcome my dislike of shopping so what do you keep as standard in your fridge? Do you think yum when you open it or oh dear, I must go shopping!
Rob R

It depends when in the week you look, after shopping 10 litres of milk, two pots of cream, a block of cheese, butter and... No, that's it, usually (although we buy cheese and butter in bulk, so it tends to last several weeks). Maybe some yoghurt. And bacon.
Cathryn

I forgot to add a packet of Dulce de Membrillo that someone forgot. Must remember to return it to them.
jamanda

I forgot to add a packet of Dulce de Membrillo that someone forgot. Must remember to return it to them.

We're working through a block of Sean's Mum's at the moment.

We get local milk delivered so there's usually milk, also cream,yoghurt and butter. Assorted cheese, bacon, jars and bottles of sauces, jams, chutneys etc, not all of which actually need to be refridgerated, but it's somewhere to put them. Meat and veg tends to be bought daily, though there's often left overs awaiting being bubble and squeaked or souped. Wine and often something horribly sweet and fizzy belonging to BW.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

When it's just me, the fridge is mainly the only place to store piles of vegetables and the odd tub of leftovers or pre-cooked meals.
The freezer on the other hand had all kinds of fun stuff...!
Nick

If you throw some charcuterie in then you've always a meal. Also, make sure there's tonic and bubbles, and a lemon. Gin in the freezer, and even when there's no food you won't care.

I think I always have greenery, such as rocket, some olives, cheese, bacon and I've had a tub of green Thai curry paste in there for about five years.
sean

There's usually chorizo as well as all the stuff Jamanda listed.
Cathryn

I overlooked the alcohol. Ruby doesn't think it counts. I would have tonic but I can't get any without artificial sweeteners in locally. It's disgusting and spoils the gin. The alcohol is currently being used to numb the pain.

The freezer is a different matter. I just have to remember to take things out in good time.
Spider

Nothing exciting here.
Skimmed milk, diet lemonade, bottled water for work, eggs, Dairylea cheese spread, cooked ham, chicken, sugarfree jelly, salad veg, jiffy lemon and an eyeliner pencil Surprised
cir3ngirl

What about the pot of bicarb to keep the smells at bay Embarassed
Treacodactyl

Nothing here, we don't use a fridge.
Rob R

And black pudding if you're lucky. Occasionally a couple bottles of beer.

Although we do have a second fridge, which has a cow & five sheep in right now.
Nick

My beer fridge tends to have experiments in it. And no beer.
jamanda

Coffee!
MornieG

Basics consist of eggs, various cheeses, milk, butter, mayonnaise, tomatoes, capsicums, mushrooms, cucumber, bacon, yoghurt / creme frais, tomato puree, fruit juice, tonic, bottle of lemon juice.

Extras at the moment, almost empty bottle of maple syrup, half a jar of apple sauce, a whole bar of chocolate only because I keep forgetting it's in there, out of date filo pastry, out of date mushroom pate, very out of date beetroot, two skanky carrots, manky celery, half a jar of chocolate spread, half a dried up lemon and half a jar of mint sauce.

Out of that I would make an omlette and Pete would make a curry

Mo.XX
Shan

Please please please do NOT keep your tomatoes in the fridge. It is the one way of ensuring that they are bland.
Nicky cigreen

i have a tall fridge - about three shelves are full of chutney, jam and pickles. Then i have celery, spring onions, cheese, milk, butter, cream if there is any leftover, elderflower cordial, desert wine, leftover red wine (yes... actual leftover red wine - STILL left over from xmas - will be used in cooking if its not vinegar yet), half a bottle of maple syrup, half a crown prince squash, a small salami sausage, carrots. Four egg yolks waiting to be made into ice cream.
I dont keep meat in the fridge, other than salami if we have it, apart from whatever I am thawing for dinner which is minced chicken today.

not really full of exciting things for lunch no
vegplot

Cultures. In petri dishes disguised as yoghurt pots and pesto jars.
earthyvirgo

Cultures. In petri dishes disguised as yoghurt pots and pesto jars.

Excuse me, I recently had a Pesto clear out!

...and the top shelf of mustards and chutneys is a lot more sane than it used to be.

EV
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home