Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Jam Lady

What's Your Opinion?

I think her elevator stops one floor short of the top.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/27/arts/design/dinner-at-an-exhibition-rat-prepared-many-ways.html

Don't forget to look at the pictures.

I find this a weird playing at foraging. Wearing an off the should dress made of rat skins (apparently tanned in her bathroom) and a chef doing the cooking . . . . there's something very strange / peculiar / even offensive to me. Not the eating rat, the whole "I'm turning this into art" approach.
Sally Too

I guess she did it to make a point. I don't think I'd be a very enthusiastic guest, but I guess everybody knew before hand, so those that couldn't face it chose not to attend.

My logical head says nothing wrong with serving up rat. (My gut rebels though). Even squirrel would be less hard to digest.
Went

As a vegetarian I can't see the difference - rat, cow, pig, dog....all a matter of culture and tastes.
Tavascarow

As a vegetarian I can't see the difference - rat, cow, pig, dog....all a matter of culture and tastes.
Ditto.
gritstone

I think it's fine to eat rat unless you feel the need to call it art. What a needy childish way to try to attract attention. If thats all they can think of to get a reaction I pity their intellect. What's wrong with a decent landscape. Laughing
paul1963

Ditto.

I'm with you guys on this.
Jam Lady

Gritstone has put his finger on the issue. It's not the eating of rats that I find repulsive. (BTW, anyone remember James Clavell's novel, King Rat, about a Japanese prisoner of war camp in Indonesia?) It is calling it "art" that I find repellent. 12Bore

I think it's fine to eat rat unless you feel the need to call it art. What a needy childish way to try to attract attention. If thats all they can think of to get a reaction I pity their intellect. What's wrong with a decent landscape. Laughing
Yup, I'd go along with that.
Eat what you want, be as pretentious as you want, just don't expect me to stand and applaud... Rolling Eyes
Rob R

As a vegetarian I can't see the difference - rat, cow, pig, dog....all a matter of culture and tastes. Ditto.

I'm with you guys on this.

I associate animals with their droppings - I am quite happy being around cow or pig, but I don't like dog or rat. As the latter tend to be more scavengers I guess this is the reason I associate one with bad and the other good.
T.G

Quote:
“If I see an entire carcass, I might throw up,” said Clifford Owens, a performance artist. Mr. Owens, who had an exhibition at MoMA PS1 this spring, invoked the daredevil spirit of the performance artist Marina Abramovic, to get himself through the evening. “This is about risk,” he said.

It's more about being a self-deluded poncy wassock than owt else
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home