Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
gz

What should I be planting/sowing now?

I've just sown,in hope, Cavolo Nero, Romanesco, beetroot, radish,pak choi, ...what else do I have time for? ( in polytunnelor outside)

I'll be putting in Garlic,Red Onion sets and Broad Beans later on....
dpack

you might get a decent crop of baby lamb's lettuce
tahir

French beans
early carrots
radish
coriander
Mistress Rose

I sowed some cut and come again lettuce and spinach for salad leaves in a container the on Sunday. If carrots are put in now, will they grow enough outside to be worth while, as mine have been a disaster so far this year?
Shan

I have a carrot bed but I can't plant anything in it because a rabbit has taken to undermining it and tunnelling through! Rolling Eyes
gz

I could put carrots in the polytunnel..might be an idea as we're further north..
tahir

If carrots are put in now, will they grow enough outside to be worth while, as mine have been a disaster so far this year?

It's been 10 years since I had a veg plot but I'm sure I used to sow carrots for baby carrots now. Maybe 2 weeks to germinate? Could be quicker in this weather. Should get a useful crop by October (definitely so in a polytunnel)
tahir

Pak choi (most asian greens) will do too
Shan

Good reminder. I need to get some Pak Choi sown. My Pay Choi from early on in the year did phenomenally well.
tahir

With the mild winters we have nowadays it's probably worth sowing more courgettes in June to take over when the first lot get mildewed and manky
tahir

Leeks? should get some pencil sized ones by the time it gets cold, just sow direct quite thick and let them get on with it
gz

Pak Choi in, and early carrots and wallflowers!
Climbing French Beans sown. I think I've got some leek seed....
It will be interesting to compare the results eventually, as we are spread geographically
Shan

I have some leeks ready to be planted out. Just need to weed the bed they are going into.
Mistress Rose

I might try some more carrots and leeks in the bed I have cleared the potatoes from. It is under a hedge, but it might work. The carrots I sowed a few weeks ago have come up all right; well some have, the multicolour ones seem a bit shy.
Shan

My purple ones always did well but to be honest, I found them a bit bland. The white were the sweetest, followed bbq the orange, then the yellow. The purple were oddly savoury in a potato sort of way. A good foil for the rest, I suppose.
dpack

my sparrows enjoyed the last planting of onions, there may be the odd survivor out of quite a few Rolling Eyes Laughing

i have about 6 wks light in that spot so i was thinking of mustard to cut as very young leaves over a week or so.
Mistress Rose

I will use up some more of the packet of mixed colour carrots next year, then when they are gone, will probably go back to orange. For once this year the various coloured chards have worked; usually they fail. Odd how the unusual coloured things don't germinate as well, especially as the original carrots weren't orange.

Dpack, good luck with a short rotation crop. What about radishes?
dpack

i have radish but much as i like them they upset my tum so those are feeding butterfly caterpillars at the mo .

a month to 6 weeks should be enough for mustard to grow to a 4 leaf target for harvest .
Shan

my sparrows enjoyed the last planting of onions, there may be the odd survivor out of quite a few Rolling Eyes Laughing

i have about 6 wks light in that spot so i was thinking of mustard to cut as very young leaves over a week or so.

I found 5 sparrows in the greenhouse yesterday.... I really don't want to net it. I picked everything ripe or nearly ripe and I will have to live with whatever else they scavenge. They only seem to begging for the low hanging ones at the moment, so I can live with that.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home