Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Stacey

What should I feed my sheep in the snow?

I've upped the amount of nuts they're getting but will they eat hay? There's no grass here - all covered in snow - so should I be giving them something as well as the nuts? I've never done this before. The youngest is smashing all the ice on the troughs a couple of times a day so they've got water.
Rob R

Are they not digging? If they're not getting enough grass they'll eat hay but they should be getting all their energy needs from concentrates and just need forage to keep their guts working properly.
Stacey

They don't seem to be digging much. Mind you my neighbour only moved them yesterday so they'd be nearer for me to feed. Maybe it'll look different this morning. So, they should be able to get through the snow and get to the grass?
Rob R

Yeah, though it's best to offer some extra in this weather, just in case, but if they don't eat it they might be finding their own as they do seem to prefer even frozen grass to hay. Last year ours were lying on the silage and then going out to graze in the snow. Laughing
Stacey

Sheep are just bloody weird Very Happy
milkmaid

i'd back that up with a cystalx tub ,it helps with the energy and digestion
in parts of scotland now we are up to 50 cm of snow or deeper ,
Rob R

I'm using the Glenside seaweed and molasses tub for the first time this year from Ascott.
Stacey

Hm - the Gotlands have got a mineral lick but I guess I could get something for the Dorset's as well.
Nicky cigreen

you could give them shredded sugar beets - you have to mix it in advance with water. its cheap and fibre so keeps their gut good. and they love it.

my sheep refuse to eat hay. as they are not in lamb this year.. they will prolly get no other choices if we have snow...
Dogwalker

My neighbours bringing hay down for his sheep, but they're digging for grass as well.
Rob R

I've never met a sheep that refuses to eat hay Shocked
Marionb

I've never met a sheep that refuses to eat hay Shocked

Depends on the quality.... mine only eat the best apparently... Rolling Eyes
Rob R

I love my Kerry's love5
Marionb

I love my Kerry's love5

Give me Texel x any day... Wink
Ty Gwyn

you could give them shredded sugar beets - you have to mix it in advance with water. its cheap and fibre so keeps their gut good. and they love it.

my sheep refuse to eat hay. as they are not in lamb this year.. they will prolly get no other choices if we have snow...

No need to soak sugarbeet,other than for Horse`s.
Rob R

I love my Kerry's love5

What, 'cause you like a sheep that'll starve rather than eat? Laughing
katie

My sheep are really getting through the hay - just as well we had a delivery just before it snowed. They've also got a high-energy lick which they fight over.

And Wiltshire Horn are the best Very Happy
Nicky cigreen

i figure mine would eat hay if they were *really* hungry. maybe the hay we had was not good enough Smile

they did prefer to eat holly leaves to hay last year. We had cut some out of the hedge. I looked it up as i was worried it was poisonous or something,, but apparently its an old tip for feeding sheep in winter conditions. you have to cut the higher branches where the leaves are not spikey.
Mutton

Our Soay eat hay - providing it is good. We grow our own and what we find is that the bales at the bottom of the stack are unpopular. These are the ones that tended to sweat the most when the stack was drying. Neighbour's cattle get those.

Another old winter fodder was gorse - it used to be put through a crusher. The Soay just get on with eating it as it comes al fresco. (Not to mention bramble, tree bark, reeds.)

Over winter we feed a bit of hay either when the snow is down, or if the grass has pretty much run out as we don't want the ground stripped bare.
This year we haven't bred the ewes (thank goodness) and so are feeding half what we did last winter. 31 sheep, mix of lambs and adults are getting half a square bale a day between them, 1/4 morning and evening. Also feed 4 baked bean cans of pellitized beet morning and evening. I always soak it as a neighbour had a sheep with an intestinal blockage after said sheep broke into their feed store and helped itself to an awful lot of dry feed. I also prefer soaking the beet because they need to drink less than if I didn't. And I'm tired of topping up the water bucket with warm water to keep the ice away for an hour or two.

Occasionally feed sheep nuts to provide that extra protein. Soay lambs tend to stop growing over the winter anyway, and go for a growth spurt the following summer.

The Soay do go foraging - especially on the tufts that are sticking up from the snow. The ferocious easterly on our exposed hillside is making them disinclined to stick their noses over the parapet for more than a couple of hours. At the moment I am happy to feed the extra, help them with a bit of fibre for the rumen, keep the rumen working for their central heating. I can thoroughly do without any sheep throwing a wobbly and needing the vet.
At least there is still grass under the snow and we have one more small field that hasn't been touched since the spring, so plenty there. Not had to move them onto it yet.
Stacey

I'm going to see about getting a big bale of hay today to see if they'll eat it. I have a feeling it'll be priced similarly to gold. Mrs R

I love my Kerry's love5

What, 'cause you like a sheep that'll starve rather than eat? Laughing

Aye, the more I hear about other sheep the more I realise that kerry hills are like, Super Sheep Rolling Eyes Confused
alison

Mine are digging a little through the heavy frost, but when the time comes they always eat hay.

We don't feed concentrates.
Stacey

I spoke to a farmer friend of himself today and he said that sheep will only eat certain types of hay. I drove out to a farm in a blizzard (I swear I saw Mr Tumnus thumbing a lift) and he sold me a bale of haylage type stuff. So, we'll see how they like that tomorrow now we've gone through the day-long drama of getting it off the bleddy truck. Rob R

In my experience sheep will only eat hay if you give it to them.
Wink
Cathryn

Laughing We are with Rob on this. Although Jack's comment is that actually they will only eat his hay and how much do you want at £10 a bale. Wink They won't eat really bad stuff, sensible of them. Silage here and hay for the ewe lambs while they are cutting their teeth.

We're also looking at the New Zealand system of cropping the grass down really low in each field before moving the flock on. Theoretically it will mean good new grass growth and higher clover density. It looks interesting and seems worth trying. Our fields are not covered in snow though.
Stacey

I'll tell you what, after what I've been through to get the sodding stuff if they don't eat it they'd better stay out of my way Twisted Evil Rob R

It looks interesting and seems worth trying. Our fields are not covered in snow though.

Yes, I was planning on moving the sheep after the cattle come in tomorrow but 12 inches of snow make setting nets out pretty much impossible.
Cathryn

Well if you will keep sheep. Smile Rob R

The trouble is they taste so good Smile (And Nat would be a little underdressed on our wedding day without them Laughing ) Cathryn

Do your sheep respect electric fencing Rob? That bit puzzled us a bit. Rob R

No, not wire if they are the slightest bit hungry, but nets have saved me so much time that they've paid for themselves already. Cathryn

Thanks. I will remember that if we go full out with that system. (I think I've seen a roll as well up in one of the sheds.) Interesting though because they clearly use single strand tape in NZ. Rob R

Hmm, it must be down to either breeding or voltage in that case. kirstyfern

I wish my goats would respect the electric fence Sad even the nets don't keep them in! judith

I wish my goats would respect the electric fence Sad even the nets don't keep them in!

The nets don't work with my sheep either. Rolling Eyes
katie

Our sheep respect 3 lines of tape - even the non-Wiltshire's (which feel it more cos of having little fleece).
I think it is the voltage that does it in NZ. A friend of ours imported a NZ system and it REALLY zaps!
kirstyfern

Our sheep respect 3 lines of tape - even the non-Wiltshire's (which feel it more cos of having little fleece).
I think it is the voltage that does it in NZ. A friend of ours imported a NZ system and it REALLY zaps!

Mine REALLY zaps, but once the goat is halfway through it carries on Rolling Eyes
katie

Clever creatures! They have probably worked out that the worst is over so they might as well carry on. Rob R

Goats are something else, I think that's why the goat farm houses all year. sean

Goats are something else.

No-one gets anything past you do they? Wink
Rob R

Someone did once, never again. Last time I buy a geep. milkmaid

mine respect electic not when they are little, but the nannies do ,in fact even if it's off mine don't like to go near it but spent quite a lot of time training them to it Ruralnaedowell

I feed my speckled faced ewes and thaives haylege from when the grass runs out (nov), and I feed the inlamb ewes nuts for two or three weeks before lambing and afterwards until the grass begins to grow.
Some people say that sheep prefer finer hay, but I haven't really seen that. Buy first cut hayledge straight off the field in June, if the farmer is delivering it, as it only gets handled once - Make sure you get the first cut stuff as that has the seedheads and oils and goodys in it.
If as a small farmer you keep older ewes then they get nuts earlier to help them along.
Mutton

Electric fencing with netting.
if you are thinking of getting netting, bear in mind it can be a bad idea if your stock has horns. If they get their horns caught in the netting they can be there for hours getting zapped.
Mrs R

Thanks. I will remember that if we go full out with that system. (I think I've seen a roll as well up in one of the sheds.) Interesting though because they clearly use single strand tape in NZ.

NZ contacts inform me that anything with merino breeding is docile and can be grazed really tight, respecting a single strand - british breeds are notoriously difficult for tight grazing.
Stonehead

We have 36 inches of snow (more in the drifts). Temperatures have gone down to between -15C and -20C. The neighbouring farmer has sheep on agistment with us. He comes over twice a day with a tractor and snowplough, drives to the centre of the field and ploughs a large circle free of snow. He dumps half a bale of sileage in a sheltered corner and checks the high energy lick. That's it. His sheep are all amply build madams and would like to be a bit picky, but he gives them no choice. So they eat everything they're given. Rob R

Dances with Cows

Electric fencing with netting.
if you are thinking of getting netting, bear in mind it can be a bad idea if your stock has horns. If they get their horns caught in the netting they can be there for hours getting zapped.

Can happen without horns too - last year in the snow and cold weather,somehow, one of our wensleydale rams got completely tangled in it, ripped his tags out, blood everywhere - it was awful, we were convinced he was dead after however long being zapped and lying in the snow and blood. He wasn't, he's still with us today and looking well, they do have a peculiar talent for getting into trouble though those guys...

/Dances with Cows
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home