Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
earthyvirgo

What stitch to use to knit a 'flat' scarf

All the scarves I've ever knitted curl in at the sides!

What do I need to get a nice flat result, I want to knit a colourful striped scarf for my next door neighbours little boy and I don't think he's going to be that impressed to get a curly offering.

I thought moss stitch perhaps? My knitting skills are fairly basic Smile

EV
Fee

I've had the same problem, garter stitch on large needles worked for me, but I'm sure someone actually in the know will be along to answer better Smile
Northern_Lad

knit-knit-knit-knit-..... works in stopping the edges curling up with chunky wool, but it's not a 'flat' knit.

trying with a row of knit, row of purl, etc and that appears to be going fairly flat. But that's only about 10 rows, and they were done many months ago.
marigold

Moss stitch will lie flat, but the resulting fabric is relatively inflexible. What about single rib? Fisherman's rib is good for soft yarns, but I find it nightmarish to put right if I drop a stitch... Embarassed
bernie-woman

I would go with moss stitch - I like that it gives a thickish end result Very Happy

There are some nice moss stitch patterns here Very Happy
earthyvirgo

Thanks for advice - I am inspired and determined.

And look at http://www.morehousefarm.com/KnittingKits/Scarves/ - some fantastic 'critter' scarves on here.

... next year maybe.

EV
toggle

i'd do some sort of ribbing, mistake rib can be good for this sort of thing
mochyn

toggle wrote:
i'd do some sort of ribbing, mistake rib can be good for this sort of thing

Rib is best for a lovely flat finish. Any sort of rib.
Sherbs

Everytime I read something like this I can't help feeling terribly inadequate as a knitter . . moss stitch? fisherman's rib?

I've never even heard of these before let alone know how to do them

Smile
earthyvirgo

Don't worry Sherbs, I'm feeling exactly the same surrounded by all these experts Smile

I had to look up Fisherman's Rib (which looks mightily complex) and Mistake Rib which I'd never heard of but I think I can manage.

I've knitted reasonably compicated things in the past but seem to have gone blank recently. Couldn't even remember how to do what I call 'cheats' casting on.

EV
bernie-woman

There are some good reminder videos on here which show the basics and some different stitch techniques Very Happy
Sherbs

earthyvirgo wrote:
Don't worry Sherbs, I'm feeling exactly the same surrounded by all these experts Smile

I had to look up Fisherman's Rib (which looks mightily complex) and Mistake Rib which I'd never heard of but I think I can manage.

I've knitted reasonably compicated things in the past but seem to have gone blank recently. Couldn't even remember how to do what I call 'cheats' casting on.

EV

see, I thought Mistake rib was a joke. Embarassed
earthyvirgo

Sherbs wrote:

Shhh .... don't admit it - so did I, then I Googled it.
You learn something new on DS every day Smile

EV
SarahB

earthyvirgo wrote:
Thanks for advice - I am inspired and determined.

And look at http://www.morehousefarm.com/KnittingKits/Scarves/ - some fantastic 'critter' scarves on here.

... next year maybe.

EV

Oh they are just fabulous!

I've been doing scarves in a double rib (36 stitches and knit 2 purl 2 all the way across every row. Size 5.5mm needles and some chunky yarn) and now I'm trying a wider basket weave scarf in thinner yarn and smaller needles and that's working out really nice.
mochyn

Moss stitch is very easy and very beautiful. Just knit 1, purl 1 all the way! So if row 1 is k1 p1, k1 p1.... ending on a k1 the the first stitch of the next row must be knit too. If it ends on p1 the the first stitch of the next row must be purl. So always start a new row with the same kind of stitch you finished the last one with.

Have a go: looks lovely.
toggle

earthyvirgo wrote:

EV

mistake rib is easy.

cast on a multiple of 4 stitches, then cast on another 3.

every row, k2, p2 to last 3 then k2 p1.

repeat until you never want to see it again
mochyn

toggle wrote:

That is so accurate.
Sherbs

earthyvirgo wrote:
Sherbs wrote:

Shhh .... don't admit it - so did I, then I Googled it.
You learn something new on DS every day Smile

EV

Indeed you do.

I think I'll have to try some of these out when I've finished my current project.
vegplot

Twilight zone.
toggle

mochyn wrote:
toggle wrote:

That is so accurate.

i knit my dad a scarf from 500 yards of 4 ply yarn a couple of years ago. it was mind numbingly tedious
Bugs

Re: What stitch to use to knit a 'flat' scarf

earthyvirgo wrote:
All the scarves I've ever knitted curl in at the sides!

What do I need to get a nice flat result, I want to knit a colourful striped scarf for my next door neighbours little boy and I don't think he's going to be that impressed to get a curly offering.

I thought moss stitch perhaps? My knitting skills are fairly basic Smile

EV

I think moss stitch is beautiful but find it tedious to have to keep swapping from knit to purl every other stitch - I don't think I could do a scarf all the way through in it.

I made a 3x3 (is that how you say it? three purl, knit) scarf in Rob R's Kerry Hill aran wool on 5mm needles. It would be too thick for a little 'un, but you could use a dk on slightly smaller needles I think. It does lie flat beautifully and also can either be rolled up to make it smaller (easier to wrap around the neck) or stretched out to almost a shawl shape (eg to wrap round the shoulders). And it looks lovely though I say so myself Smile

Still took me a fair while though!
bernie-woman

Bugs wrote:

I think moss stitch is beautiful but find it tedious to have to keep swapping from knit to purl every other stitch - I don't think I could do a scarf all the way through in it.

I am just knitting a moss stitch scarf - it does give me hand ache after a while but I am knitting it on 8mm needles so it is nice and chunky and kits up quickly Very Happy

Pic of your aran scarf Bugs?? Very Happy
jamila169

doesn't slipping the first stitch on every row make it less curly as well?
mochyn

Slipping the first stitch gives a beautifully tidy edge but there's still some curl in there. When I'm doing a lace scarf I add 3 or 4 stitches of garter stitch to each edge: very nice flat finish. (Garter stitch is knitting every row).
alice

Bugs wrote:

I knitted a whole mansize sweater in moss stitch - it was tedious in the extreme, but it looked beautiful when finished. It looked like it was knitted by a much more accomplished knitter than me - which was a bonus Laughing
toggle

closest i've done is a sweater for about a 7 year old, NEVER AGAIN will i knit any large item in moss stitch. Not only is there the constant swapping of k to p, but it's even more awkward than ribbing in that you can't follow on from the stitch below.
earthyvirgo

Scarf going well ...second time around!
Started on size 10 needles and the result was much too hard for my little neighbour.

Found some size 6 needles in Annie's Orphan's shop yesterday and started again, using Mistake rib - brilliant, lovely chunky, soft results, perfect for the little fella'.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

EV
lettucewoman

I've just finished a "loopa" scarf, which looks like a feather boa, using a loopa and some feather yarn i bought cheap in perranporth last year...took about an hour and looks lovely! So thats me sister in law sorted then...

I tried to make a loopa but failed, however someone clever ought to be able to...it's only a square u shaped bit of plastic.... Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Array Array Home Home