Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Penny Outskirts

What temperature is your home on average?

Further to the elephants troubles with his in-laws and heating, I was pondering what temperature people had their houses?

Our Owl tells me our house with the heating on in the morning is 18 deg. Now that's too hot and we need to turn the thermostat on the boiler down (all the rads are on 0 or 1 or 2 already Very Happy ). Is that too hot, or am I just "a woman of a certain age" Embarassed
sean

16.5 on the kitchen windowsill at the moment which is where I found the thermometer. Seems plenty warm to me, I've got the french windows open and I'm wearing a t-shirt. Mind you the t-shirt's from squatorange so it probably has superior thermal qualities compared with other t-shirts.
boisdevie1

18 degrees here with no heating on. For me this is a good temperature as anything more and I get sleepy. But some people seem to feel the cold more inc my OH.
Treacodactyl

sean wrote:
16.5 on the kitchen windowsill at the moment which is where I found the thermometer.

Exactly the same temp here, although in the kitchen cupboard where the homebrewing thermometer is.

Our heating doesn't come on automatically, we turn it on when we feel cold enough. A quick burst that warms the room we're in but not the whole house.

Edited to add, we tend to put the heating on when we have a couple of friends dogs to stay. Laughing
gil

12C

Edit : 18C in the fermentation chamber, by far the warmest place in the house Laughing
Penny Outskirts

Treacodactyl wrote:

Our heating doesn't come on automatically, we turn it on when we feel cold enough. A quick burst that warms the room we're in but not the whole house

That doesn't work with our house, as the walls are so thick, they need to get warm first. Sad
Jonnyboy

18.5 deg just inside the back door, so probably a degree or two hotter upstairs.

That said, it probably uses more energy to heat an old house to 18deg than it does a new one to 22, so it's all relative.
sean

Not sure about that as a general rule. Possibly true for your place but I'd back our house against most newish build stuff.
Jonnyboy

But you're not normal.
thos

We put the Central Heating on two weeks ago. I have two temperatues set, 20° 'day' and 15° 'night' setting.

The 'day' is set for 0600 to 0800, but we knock it off when we get up. In the middle of winter, Terri might put the heating on for a bit during the day.

At night we pop the heating on before we put the children to bed so we can read in comfort, so 1800 to 1900.

From Autumn to Spring we light the fire (encastrated) in the lounge every evening, and I ocassionally light the fire (stove) in the kitchen.

The heating is oil-fired hot air, so we have no control of radiators, just a rather ineffective shutter over the air vents. Nevertheless for a large 5-bedroomed detatched we use 2500L per year while the average Belgian house uses 3500.
dpack

windows open so a little above external ambient at the mo
sometimes i make it warm for a bath or such but after an hour or so i prefer cool
i grew up in a cold place and make up for skinny with good clothes ,cold tolerance can be trained for but a spare jumper worn as a hat sorts most things
reindeer skins are nice Laughing
lettucewoman

about 18 degrees (got the thermometer on farenheit cos the Oh does not understand celsius!)...so 65degrees without heating...and we have yet to put our heating on..had the halogen heater on once or twice for an hour or so but can't afford to put the heating on as yet.... Sad
Azura Skye

I'm not sure.. we have the woodburning stove in the kitchen, so the kitchen is always boiling; and as my room is above the kitchen I never need to have the heating on, as I have underfloor heating!
Plus , my computer warms the room quite a bit, the window is usually open.
Barefoot Andrew

22C here - although "here" is the office and this room is always warmer than the rest of house cuz of machines. Plus I've just had the heating on for a quick turbo burn, because I've got man flu Wink
A.
sean

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
this room is always warmer than the rest of house cuz of machines..

Have you by any chance got a really powerful PC which might generate a lot of heat?
tigger

The temperature in the corridor outside the kitchen says 22°, so no need for heating yet.
My eldest daughter starts shivering under 2 sweatshirts at 20° but she's skinny! I'm not, so I usually put the heating on at around 17°.
This year it's still really warm here - yesterday afternoon it was 26° outside!!
vegplot

The office is around 21.5C, although if we left it to staff it'd be 23.5C given half a chance. The kitchen is round 16-18C at present, we don't like it any warmer than 21-22C which it sometimes get if the stove is lit. The reset of the house is cool.
Barefoot Andrew

vegplot wrote:
The reset of the house is cool.

Is that due to the coolness of its inhabitants?
A.
joanne

Dunno - its usually around 18-20 with no heating - none of us like it too warm and I can't really cope with central heating especially in bedrooms - it just plays pop with my sinuses

At night we are currently using a calor gas heater in the dining room which is heating the whole house and possibly the little gas heater in the hallway on low which keeps the house at an ambient temperature
vegplot

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
vegplot wrote:
The reset of the house is cool.

Is that due to the coolness of its inhabitants?
A.

We're relaxed Smile
nettie

We tend to just put the heating on for an hour when we need it - at the moment this is around 10pm, it's scary to think how much money we've wasted in the past by having the timer on for 3 hours morning and evening.

Since we did the renovations and made downstairs more open plan, we have had the happy accident that our west facing conservatory is heating most of the house up for us in the afternoons. However, it remains to be seen whether this has the opposite effect once winter sets in!
marigold

No idea of the average and have no thermometer to begin to work it out. At night in winter it's ruddy freezing and it can be horribly hot during the evening of a sunny summer's day. As long as I'm comfortable I don't put the heating on much in winter and use space heaters rather than the CH during in-between season. I get chilled I feel really ill, so I'll have a quick blast of fan-heater while I'm getting dressed to avoid that.

I can't abide a stuffy house, so I probably waste some heat by having too much ventilation at times. I get a lot of vile fag-smoke and cooking pong through from next door and I just HAVE to get some fresh air in, even if it means putting the heating on too.

I wear proper winter clothes and offer chilly guests a fleece to wear before I relent and put the heating on if they are cold Very Happy .
Nanny

our thermometer in the kitchen say 60 f so no central heating on yet aothough i have the woodburner going in the living room...

the back door is open most days for the dogs so we don't have the heating on till as late as possible

then i try to have it no more than 18 or 19 going down to 15 at night

whisky helps of course
Pilsbury

at eh moment its between 22 and 19 throughout the day and night, with no heating on
Mrs Fiddlesticks

still getting the hang of the woodburner so its 23 in here Rolling Eyes but about 18/19 upstairs. But no other heating on anywhere else in the house.

I feel the cold easily so like it cosy although can't sleep if bedroom too warm.
dpack

21 widows open ,no heating
jamanda

Mrs Fiddlesticks wrote:
still getting the hang of the woodburner so its 23 in here Rolling Eyes but about 18/19 upstairs. But no other heating on anywhere else in the house.

I feel the cold easily so like it cosy although can't sleep if bedroom too warm.

Exactly the same here. Warm and toasty by the wood burner. No other heating (except a hottie for Ben).
Jb

Thermostat set at 17C downstairs where the heating comes on occasionally and 15C upstairs where the heating almost never comes on and a min max thermometer tells me the range is 15 - 20C.
vegplot

It was 15.2C when we got home and now it's a comfortable 18C.
ros

I'm not sure but if feels really chilly this morning!

didn't sit around in my dressing gown very long, got dressed instead of putting the heating on though.
sally_in_wales

was quite chill when I walked down the hill to the train this morning, not frosty, but it felt pretty close
Jb

Ice on the patio and car this morning!
Green Rosie

JB wrote:
Ice on the patio and car this morning!

Same here - and minus 2 in the valley bottom according to the car thermometer.

New double glazing working a treat though - toasty warm in the house with the fire just lit for a couple of hours in the evening.
wellington womble

living with a plumber, I have the world's most complicated heating system (which he will show anyone who so much as comments on the temperature, too) It's underfloor, so doesn't do 'quick bursts' and zoned, so unnecessary rooms aren't heated. Basically every room (almost) has an independent thermostat and timer. At the moment heating is only on in the kitchen if it drops below 20 deg C before and after work and the bathroom (the bedroom one is broken) in the mornings. In practice, this means in the morning, as the oven will keep it warm in the evenings. The woodburner will keep the whole house toasty if we light it, and a very sleepy temperature in the library. If the heating is required, and the woodburner is on, it can heat the water, and so can the solar. Clever, isn't it (is anyone still reading......?)

The only downside is I sometimes need to remember to put heating on a few hours before I use my study, or intend to teach pilates in the top of the house. I could probably put them on timer, but I daren't try the starship enterprise control panel.....
chez

We used to have the thermostat in the old house set to 15 degrees c. Here, not sure - it's a less efficient system.

WW - your OH would get on with Arvo like a house on fire Smile.
Nanny

wellington womble wrote:
living with a plumber, I have the world's most complicated heating system (which he will show anyone who so much as comments on the temperature, too) It's underfloor, so doesn't do 'quick bursts' and zoned, so unnecessary rooms aren't heated. Basically every room (almost) has an independent thermostat and timer. At the moment heating is only on in the kitchen if it drops below 20 deg C before and after work and the bathroom (the bedroom one is broken) in the mornings. In practice, this means in the morning, as the oven will keep it warm in the evenings. The woodburner will keep the whole house toasty if we light it, and a very sleepy temperature in the library. If the heating is required, and the woodburner is on, it can heat the water, and so can the solar. Clever, isn't it (is anyone still reading......?)

that does sound a tad complicated WW

when we lived in our first house in framlingham, rolf "borrowed" the central heating pump to run the pump in his pond.....come the colder weather, i switched the heating on only to find that nothing seemed to be happening and it took ages for him to remember that the pump was still out in the back garden keepin his fish nice and aeriated....we had to go and buy another one........
Penny Outskirts

wellington womble wrote:
Clever, isn't it (is anyone still reading......?)

sleepy2

Only kidding Laughing Laughing
Nanny

i do apologise, i seem to have messed up my post in various ways

please feel free to sort me out
Penny Outskirts

Nanny wrote:
i do apologise, i seem to have messed up my post in various ways

please feel free to sort me out

I've taken the liberty of sorting you Nanny Very Happy
ros

wellington womble wrote:
living with a plumber, I have the world's most complicated heating system

how do you manage that then? I've got a tame plumber here but we still don't have any solar watre heating and I even have to change my own tap washers....bit like the cobbler and his childrens' shoes I suppose Confused
jamanda

At the moment it's like an oven in here, as I have three boys of assorted sizes playing on the Wii, with the wood burner on and the door shut, because for some reason they don't like the sound of their Fathers playing folk next door Rolling Eyes
wellington womble

Penny wrote:
wellington womble wrote:

sleepy2

Believe me, that was the short version. He does guided tours!

The system was experimental, to see if it would work combining the solar, gas and woodburner with underfloor (seems to, on the whole) and we got various discounts, as it was experimental for the manufacturers of all the (many and varied) bits of kit. Also, I am fairly unbearable when I am cold. Holes in the ceiling, building material in the kitchen, lack of anything very much (including a loo at one stage) I can live with, but I am particularly evil when cold. So heating was quite high on everyone's agenda!

Chez, lets not introduce Arvo and MrWomble. At least, not unless we want to keep them out of the way for a few days, and have a good supply of Penny's chocolate brownies, Bombay Sapphire and a babysitter!
ros

wellington womble wrote:
Penny wrote:
wellington womble wrote:

sleepy2

Believe me, that was the short version. He does guided tours!

Chez, lets not introduce Arvo and MrWomble. At least, not unless we want to keep them out of the way for a few days, and have a good supply of Penny's chocolate brownies, Bombay Sapphire and a babysitter!

actually, I quite like the idea of introducing Arvo to Mr WW and to Mr Ros -- and do it here so between them they qould shame him into my missing solar water stuff, shower etc!
wellington womble

OK, double the gin and brownies order, then!
VSS

difficult to say - the kitchen is always warm due to the rayburn and if i have been baking or cooking a big joint it can be boiling. Girls bedroom is usually pretty toasty with the hot water tank in there and it is directly above the kitchen. the sitting room is not too bad, but is getting near to needing the woodburner lit to keep everything dry. Our bedroom and the bathroom are usually cold and damp in the winter, warm and stuffy in the summer.
Mary-Jane

ros wrote:
I've got a tame plumber here but we still don't have any solar watre heating and I even have to change my own tap washers....bit like the cobbler and his childrens' shoes I suppose Confused

And I'm married to a restoration builder... Neutral
AnnaD

I'm not sure what temperature it is here, probably not very warm. We only have the heating on for an hour in the morning when we get up, but apart from that we don't use it unless we have to. There is the bonus that the man downstairs likes to have his heating full blast as much as possible. That and the fact I tend to wear at least 4 layers of clothing.
wildfoodie

we've just put ours on for the 1st time this year (where's the saint icon??) Very Happy
will probably turn it off in a bit I'm finding it a bit overwhelming......
have got rather attached to my 4-plus layers.... Embarassed
vegplot

Our kitchen, which is large in comparison with the rest of our small house has been between 14-15C in the mornings this week. Last week it was down to 12C which was a bit chilly. In the evenings we can get it up to 18C which is comfortable. We nearly always have a wool blanket over our legs if we're watching DVD's in the adjacent sitting room.

Our bedroom which is directly above the kitchen is the coldest room in the house, it has two windows and very little solar gain even in the summer so it's not surprising.

This year we're trying to avoid using coal in the stove but we don't have a regular source of wood for fuel so it's going to be a little difficult.
Slim

Thermostat is left around 60, unless company is coming over, but the actual temperature seems to fluctuate quite a bit around that...

Which google tells me is 15.5555556 degrees celsius Laughing
Drewsephine

My thermostat is set to "snuggly". Gotta keep warm in these Scottish climes
Vanessa

Last year, whole house was set to "too darned cold" because we were still using oil for heating and hot water. Mad

This year, it's set to "toasty" ... at present anyway. When the woodburner in the lounge is lit, it heats the water too quickly to NOT have the rads on, although "throttled-back" at night it's OK. Will be interesting to see how warm it stays when it gets properly cold outside (instead of that miserably wet-raw feeling we've got at the moment).

In the UK with "fully controllable heating" it was set to around 19 degrees, and no-one complained of being either too hot or too cold. That's what I'm aiming for here with the woodburner, but will probably end up with "sleepy-hot" in the lounge and "comfortably cool" in the bedrooms.

WW, your system does sound complex! I thought our hot water tank was high-tech enough, being able to combine 4 different sources if wanted (so wood, solar, electric immersion plus either gas or oil if wanted), but we don't have zoned heating like that!
wellington womble

It's hard to combine sources in the UK, because we can't use pressurised systems (or is it unpressurised? Anyway, plumbers grumble a lot about it) Zoned heating is fab. It means the heating is off in the dining room for the benefit of the citrus trees, and on in rooms we are using. Super insulation means that even unheated rooms with the doors shut rarely get below about 18.
vegplot

Slim wrote:
Thermostat is left around 60, unless company is coming over

Won't the temperature go up naturally Wink
Pel

WW i quite like the sound of your heating system, not sure if i could have a guided tour tho may fall asleep... perhaps if you gave it be find, but Tom would be fasinated with a Mr Womble tour being as he is physicist.

In my kitchen is 13'C, and in the living room is 14 'C however that was measured using the goldfish's thermometer so maybe a bit wrong (his tank is 16'C), feels colder than both those temps. Fire isnt lit yet.
Erikht

Usually between 22-25 Celsius.
Helen_A

Well - after a bleurgh week in which the boiler broke, and was fixed again - we found that we've been sweltering even with the therm. set to 16 and less (we originally thought that maybe all the insultation we put in was, um, working)... because the boiler isn't a) connected to it (and our survey plummer/electic. report said it was!!) and b) is a nasty cheap boiler that continues to burn at the same (rather high) flame regardless of the level its set to... and there is no apparent facility within the boiler to turn that flame down, or reduce the flow of gas to it...

We do, thankfully, have thremostats on each radiator. But It galls me rather that the boiler is going to eat gas regardless of what those are set to as well. So it is now going to be running for an hour a day and sticking to that.

oh, and it can 'only' do 14L a minute in hotwater flow... which explains why the downstairs taps take forever to get to hot because the *slowest* I can make that tap pull through is around 25L a min....

argh!!!!

Mind you - I'd be happy to wear extra jumpers or just go to bed. Sadly I live with other people who haven't been sufficiently brainwashed yet Twisted Evil Will be taking the children out for lots of lovely yomps in the cold until they think that the house is warm whatever Twisted Evil
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home