Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Penny Outskirts

What to do with a Blue Bottle??

No not a fly, a blue glass bottle that some wine came in. Recycling facilities have clear, green and brown - no blue. Laughing
sean

If you're going to put it into the recycling then stick it into 'brown' which is the lowest grade/what you end up with when you mix colours.
You could take it back to where it came from and ask them why they're using the most expensive colour of glass for their bottles.
dpack

get two . melt them flat in a kiln ,anneal , wire necks together . use as "bell"in a wind chime .bone china rings as clangers .
too much detail .
Lozzie

I just looked here:

http://www.wasteonline.org.uk/resources/InformationSheets/Glass.htm

- and it says stick it in with the green. Smile But I voted for sticking a candle in it.

Put it on a sunny windowsill and let the sun come through it.
jamsam

i know someone who mabe a shower screen in a straw bale house out of them...admittedly its in the usa and when he came to see us he took a suitcase full home...not very good on air miles!!
Bugs

You could experiment (carefully, suitably gloved and goggled) with removing the neck and filing it off to make a vase/container etc.

If it's a pretty bottle though and you like it, stick a flower in it.

Or if it's quite small use it to keep home made vanilla essence in. Mine's in a maple syrup bottle at the moment and it looks like vinegar Laughing
Bernie66

If its a decent style use it for a candle etc.If its rubbish then they do say in with the green ones at our recycing plant.
Northern_Lad

May I suggest throwing it the water?
Penny Outskirts

Northern_Lad wrote:
May I suggest throwing it the water?

Confused Question Any water in particular?? Very Happy
Nick

What would your message in the bottle be?
Penny Outskirts

Ah ha! Now I undersatnd Very Happy Probably "Is anybody out there?"
thos

Chuck it in the canal.
Northern_Lad

Penny wrote:
Ah ha! Now I undersatnd Very Happy Probably "Is anybody out there?"

No, you still misunderstood, butyou can blame Nick for that.

I was thinking of a more high pitched, regally aproved reason...
sneeuwklokje

Other: break the bottle up and use the pieces in a mosaic design. You could cover an unsightly wall; or a small table top; or "frame" a mirror; or make coasters...or....

Laughing
gil

What are people thinking of drinking harvey's bristol Cream anyway ?
Or Blue nun
Shame on you.

Having said that, I've got one currently hosting a candle, but if I had 6, I would use them to bottle homebrew made out of something strange.
Penny Outskirts

gil wrote:
What are people thinking of drinking harvey's bristol Cream anyway ?
Or Blue nun
Shame on you.

No no honest, it was some strange slightly fizzy Italian stuff. Laughing Has now got a candle in it - but I do like the idea of smashing it up to make a mosaic, perhaps with some green mixed in? Now there's a nice weekend project....
sneeuwklokje

How did it work out Penny? Smile
dpack

i had missed leave it on a beach to produce jewels .
crush and use as a heat sink
melt and sculpt .
use to store something you need to store .
etc
Penny Outskirts

sneeuwklokje wrote:
How did it work out Penny? Smile

One of those "I really wanted to do it, but just didn't find the time" moments I'm afraid - It looks quite pretty with the candle in though Very Happy
sneeuwklokje

Laughing
2steps

tumble it to make some 'sea glass' Laughing
wellington womble

How do you tumble it? I could pinch himself's cement mixer, would that work? I love the glass pebbles you find on the beach.

I'd vote for other, and fill it with gravel or sand, and use it as a loo roll holder. Or drink a lot more of it, and make a raised bed or a wall!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home