Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Chez

What to do with broken VHS and DVD?

We have finally pensioned off our temperamental dvd player and vhs player. Neither of them is something suitable for passing on to someone else - what can I do with them? Surely the parts would be good for *something* - it seems such a waste to chuck them out.
cir3ngirl

Wes spends hours taking thing apart. In readyness for his career at NASA. How it helps I don't know Confused
Gervase

Freecycle? Someone might want the laser from the DVD player for something geeky, or the motor from the VHS for a project.
Chez

Thanks, I will give freecycle a go. Do they watch a lot of DVDs on the space station, then, cir3ngirl? Laughing
cir3ngirl

Chez wrote:
Thanks, I will give freecycle a go. Do they watch a lot of DVDs on the space station, then, cir3ngirl? Laughing

Think he want to work on the ground
Jamanda

Our technology department at school sends out a plea for such things every so often. They use the parts for the electronics GCSE course I believe.
Green Rosie

I've got a broken dvd/video player as well - I'd happily hang onto it and let your school have it when I am next visiting Mum, Jamanda
Jamanda

OK, but it may be that your local school could use them.
Anura

When I had a conservatory built I wouldn't let them put the 3x2 flags into the skip and stacked them up to re-use. In reality they're much too heavy for t'other half to handle, although he's a big strong chappie he has a back that has seen more wear than the rest of him, so I have been waiting 5 years in the hope I can get someone to lay them.

I've recently come across Freegle which I think is a spin-off or replacement for Freecycle. Someone was asking for flags, so I was able to help one couple who wanted them as a base for a wendy house and another who wanted a base for a barbequie! Magic! I'm so grateful to those people for taking them.

Now I have to find some 2nd hand smaller flags so I can possibly 'set down' - note not 'lay' myself, as it might be a bit of a dogs dinner.
wellington womble

Oooh, that reminds me, two more defunct videos lurking to go in the skip.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home