Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Hairyloon

What to do with gooey sweets?

Clearing up after the school Christmas fair we found they had a large box of assorted sweets of dubious vintage: some of them have, melted (for want of a better word) and so the whole is rather a sticky mess. The sensible plan is certainly to throw the lot in the bin, but I don't see why I should start being sensible now, when the world is as crazy as it is.

If no better idea comes up, I figured that the bottom line is that they are mostly just sugar, so I could chuck 'em in a big bucket and ferment them: I'm fairly sure I've heard tale of somebody making wine out of Skittles (TM) or somesuch, so it's not a new idea...

Any thoughts?
dpack

a wasp hotel to keep em 100m from your picnic?
Hairyloon

a wasp hotel to keep em 100m from your picnic?

Is a pretty big box and I know it is unseasonably warn (I've had reports of daffodils sprouting and blue tits nesting), but I think we're a way off picnic season yet.
Pilsbury

Most boiled and jelly sweets melt very well into vodka and gives delicious sweet shots for the festive time. That's what I would do, just put them into a jar and cover with vodka, shake every so often and they will dissolve until they saturate the solution.
Hairyloon

Most boiled and jelly sweets melt very well into vodka and gives delicious sweet shots for the festive time. That's what I would do, just put them into a jar and cover with vodka, shake every so often and they will dissolve until they saturate the solution.

Nice idea. It would mammy proof the drinks as well: she's a vegetarian. Twisted Evil
ETA I still need other ideas, 'cos I reckon that'll take an awful lot of vodka. Wink
Pilsbury

Are they jelly sweets like haribos or gummy bears? If they are yoummight be sble to melt them down in the microwave and remould them, there is even a video on you tube someone uses silicon Lego moulds to make gummy Lego. Hairyloon

Are they jelly sweets like haribos or gummy bears? If they are yoummight be sble to melt them down in the microwave and remould them, there is even a video on you tube someone uses silicon Lego moulds to make gummy Lego.
There's all sorts. Some of them are bound to be something like that...
Pilsbury

The jelly sweets should melt in the microwave in about 15-20 seconds and can be recast in silicon icecube moulds, as I said look up gummy candy moulds on YouTube, I can't copy the links but the king of random channel has one doing star wars characters which is good
I would recast the jelly sweets, vodka melt the boiled sweets and jelly beans.
Foams and flumps would be good chopped in hot chocolate or refrigerator bars with crushed biscuits, dried fruit and melted chocolate although the marshmellow ones should be meltable to bind the cake bars
Hairyloon

Sounds promising. Thank you again. gythagirl

Not sure about melting allsorts... dpack

Not sure about melting allsorts...

almost owt melts given the right conditions

the results require testing Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home