Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
nettie

What to do with loads of whitecurrants?

The 20 mystery bushes on my allotment have turned out to be whitecurrants! Besides jelly, any ideas as to what I can do with my imminent glut (BTW I have no winemaking equipment)?
Treacodactyl

How do you know they are white currants? I thought the flowers looked the same as red and pink currents.
nettie

Because the currants are there already and the same as on my bush in the garden! I have a weekend of wrapping nets around everything ahead of me Shocked I suppose they might turn red, but I think they're all pretty similar in taste Very Happy
Treacodactyl

nettie wrote:
I think they're all pretty similar in taste Very Happy

That's what I was going to say. Laughing The only thing I can think is make jelly and sell at a farmers market.
jema

Buy some wine making equipment Very Happy
Bugs

If the taste is nice, what about a syrup to make a squash from? It won't have quite the same impact as blackcurrants but it might be quite nice (might even be a good mixer Very Happy ).

We never seem to get more that a handful of currants...the chickens get several beakfuls though Confused
ButteryHOLsomeness

well, you could make a solar dryer and dry them or buy the tchibo dryer if you can handle the not so great customer service. you can have all the dried currants you could use and could rehydrate some later for pies or crumbles etc

or you can add them to chutney as you would sultanas

you can make pemicin (biltong) and add them in

you could make some lovely sauces for pork or venison

use them in mince pies to replace sultanas, or indeed in christmas pudding
ButteryHOLsomeness

i found a recipe site with quite a few recipes using currants

http://www.aaa-recipes.com/currant/curr.html

this one has some historical uses, ideas and a few recipes

http://mtvernon.wsu.edu/frt_hort/currants01.htm
thos

I had a bumper crop last year. Every night I ate a huge bowlful of half whitecurrants with strawberries, blackcurrants and gooseberries making up the other half. Gloriously decadent. Mind you, I only had four bushes, not 20.
judith

Freeze them, and then add to the other ingredients for summer pudding as they become available. I loooove summer pudding!
cab

They freeze well, so it's worth keeping some for winter. They make a great jelly (whitecurrant jelly really is superb), they make a stonking wine, they add in well to summer puddings, they contrast red and black fruit in desserts, and they probably won't need to be so carefully netted as the reds; birds seem mostly to miss them.
nettie

Thanks folks! I counted the bushes properly today ....26 of them! Shocked Might have to give a few away, after I've had my harvest, of course!
cab

Nettie, surely they're not ripening yet? It'll be really hard to be sure whether they're red or white till they do. They're the same plant, just slightly different varieties.
nettie

Well whatever they are there are loads of them! Very Happy I figured the uses would be similar whatever they were. They're not ripe yet but some of them have reached full size already.
wellington womble

I bet some of them are other colours - no idea how you'd tell though. The onyl use I know is to make mint jelly (got any mint?!) But redcurrant jelly is fab. Gave too much away this year and had to buy some. Won't bother again, it wilkisons (or a posh one anyway) but really oversweet and insipid compared to mine from the PYO. Yet another convience food bites the dust!
ButteryHOLsomeness

have you considered making a rum pot? especially if they are a variety (white, red, black) you could add in some other fruits as well as you go and have an amazing rum pot Very Happy
Alchemist

ButteryHOLsomeness wrote:
have you considered making a rum pot? especially if they are a variety (white, red, black) you could add in some other fruits as well as you go and have an amazing rum pot Very Happy

Mmm. Sounds fantastic. We inherited a half-dozen assorted (and enormous) currant bushes in our new garden which look like they're about to produce a tremendous crop. Do you just soak the fruit in rum or do you add spices as well?
wellington womble

You just layer it up with fruit and sugar and top it up with rum! The idea is you can add things as you've a surplus, but I have made very successfull ones all in one go - apricots and ameretto was good (and highly, highly intoxicating! fab on icecream!)
nettie

So a bit like sloe gin then, without the sloes....or the gin!

Sound like a VERY good idea to me Very Happy
sally_in_wales

ooh yes, I can also recommend these. You can often pick up proper Rumtopfs at carboot sales cheaply (sort of tall crocks with lids). My mum always used to make a rumtopf in the summer and we'd have spoonfuls on icecream, even the cat used to get tipsy licking the bowls afterwards. Very nice done with assorted red fruits, I think she used to put a bottle of Rum, a little sugar and some spices in the crock then chuck in fruits as they came into season over the course of a few weeks, yummy Very Happy
ButteryHOLsomeness

wellington womble wrote:
You just layer it up with fruit and sugar and top it up with rum! The idea is you can add things as you've a surplus, but I have made very successfull ones all in one go - apricots and ameretto was good (and highly, highly intoxicating! fab on icecream!)

ohhhhhh you're making my mouth water now!!!

i love ameretto mmmmmmmm

i think i might get some of lidl's ameretto and their cherry brandy and see which one makes a better 'rumpot'

i actually won the bottle of bacardi that we used to get it started. i'm not much of a drinker though and dh doesn't really care much for rum so it seemed like a good use for it. now if i can only figure out a good use for the blue curaco that i won at the same time Confused

alchemist- when i can be bothered getting up (very sore right now) i'll look up the recipe i used for the amounts of sugar to add. you'll need a very large pot to make a good one. the container we have isn't big enough so we're thinking of buying a huge crock and using that. you'll go through quite a few bottles of rum so be sure to buy the cheap stuff Wink
nettie

D'you know what, i used to have a Rumtopf and I chucked it out years ago, it was ugly! Wish I'd kept it now Shocked

Quote:
i'll look up the recipe i used for the amounts of sugar to add. you'll need a very large pot to make a good one. the container we have isn't big enough so we're thinking of buying a huge crock and using that. you'll go through quite a few bottles of rum so be sure to buy the cheap stuff Wink

That's great BH. Thanks. Very Happy

Quote:
alchemist- when i can be bothered getting up (very sore right now)

Hope you're not laid up for too long. Shocked
ButteryHOLsomeness

i've just been on my feet a LOT over the last week with much more kneeling and bending than usual (sadly for work not gardening Crying or Very sad ) i had a bad case of SPD which still plays up sometimes and also bad knees both of which are causing some pain.

that plus not getting more than 5 hours sleep a night for more than a week adds up to grumpy and sore me Confused

i get a rest this weekend though, so yay!

thanks for your concern though Very Happy
ButteryHOLsomeness

here you go, being ultra lazy and just looked it up on the net Laughing

http://www.hopshopuk.com/recipes/rumtopf.html
nettie

Fantastic recipe, Buttery, thanks for that!
ButteryHOLsomeness

you're welcome ((hic!)) Wink

i need to get that larger pot soon, i sliced up loads of nectarines we had that were going to go off if they weren't used and that's what i started our pot with but it took up most of the space in the jar we had so i really need to get a new pot as there will be plenty of fruits to be adding soon

come to think of it, i'd better get some cheap rum too! Very Happy
wellington womble

and some ameretto!
Alchemist

Recipe sounds great. I especially like the part warning against diluting the alcohol. Very Happy
I may be forced to go and mutter a few words of encouragement to our fruit bushes tonight!
ButteryHOLsomeness

think of what a wonderful homemade gift you could make of the liquor and fruit...great for christmas day Very Happy
cab

think of what a wonderful homemade gift you could make of the liquor and fruit...great for christmas day Very Happy

And think how embarassing it is when a maggot you missed on one of the fruit is visible floating on top of the booze when the present is opened. Only happened to me once, and the recipient wasn't the sort to be easily put off Laughing
wellington womble

they were very well received - we did it a couple of years ago, but unless you have a source of cheap rum (any mates abroad?) they work out a bit pricy - not that that matters, for people who you love and will appreciate it.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home