Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Mrs Fiddlesticks

what to do with old paint

We were left assorted old tins of paint by the previous owners which we don't want (I've just had a sort out ) I've held on to tins that have more than about half in them which might have a use but what am I to do with the tins with almost nothing in them. I've looked at our council website and they don't want them either in the rubbish or separately. I suspect this paint is no good to anyone like a charity or similar as its going to be too dried out (no idea how old it is) Now what?
lottie

The garage here was full of old paint when we moved in----the local recycling dumpit has a section to put them---I just took them there without worrying about it Embarassed suspect they aren't good for much.
gil

I took old tins (previous occupants left behind) to the council tip/recycling, and put them where I was told to.
vegplot

Modern paint is pretty nasty stuff but not as bad as older lead based paint. I'd advise taking them to the local council tip and dispose of them properly.
Green Man

I remember my wife's Granny mixing a batch of old paints together, and had enough to paint her house woodwork anf garage door. It made quite a trendy aqua colour. Idea
Mrs Fiddlesticks

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
I remember my wife's Granny mixing a batch of old paints together, and had enough to paint her house woodwork anf garage door. It made quite a trendy aqua colour. Idea

I've certainly kept the tins with something in them worth having - the shed up the plot always needs a coat but its the silly dried up old tins I can't do anything with. Looks like a trip to the tip is in order.
Lorrainelovesplants

I use left over paint to paint my beehives. If there is enough to paint a super or a landing board or whatever then its done a good job, not been wasted and makes my beehives pretty.
My beekeeping mentor who is 60 is horrified that instead of painting them a buff wheat colour (which he painted his) I have plumped for shades of lavender and purple or shades of green!

(Loads of people on the continent do similar, Im told)

Or you could just offer them to playgroups etc who may use them for murals.
or paint henhouses..
When you start to think about it, theres loads of uses.
LynneA

Get a load of basic terracotta pots and use the paints to make customised plant pots, either for yourself or to sell. Don't have to be bright colours - "tasteful" pots are just as useful.
Treacodactyl

lottie wrote:
The garage here was full of old paint when we moved in----the local recycling dumpit has a section to put them---I just took them there without worrying about it Embarassed suspect they aren't good for much.

I've just come back from out local tip and sadly they just told me to throw the tins in their landfill skip. Even the old pieces of timber I'd sorted out had to go in the landfill skip. Rolling Eyes
vegplot

Treacodactyl wrote:
lottie wrote:

I've just come back from out local tip and sadly they just told me to throw the tins in their landfill skip. Even the old pieces of timber I'd sorted out had to go in the landfill skip. Rolling Eyes

Sounds like it's time for a letter to the local rag
lottie

Thats pants---they have 3 different kinds of wood skip at ours,treated,untreated, and laminated wood---what's the point of taking it if it all goes in one?
Treacodactyl

I've just checked the web site details for our nearest five tips, sorry that should be "Community Recycling Centre and Transfer Station" Rolling Eyes , and none take wood of any kind. Confused
lottie

Complain to your councillor---I think I would
Treacodactyl

lottie wrote:
Complain to your councillor---I think I would

I don't think there's any point, they just don't care and nothing will get done. Our council is frankly virtually useless at anything that affects us.

Just to fill a simple pot-hole took them months and at least 5 visits. One to check I was telling the truth when I reported it, one to mark it with magic paint, one by a crew to look at it, one by a crew to cut the road with a grinder and one to actually fill the thing!
lottie

Know what you mean---but recyclings in fashion for councils pot holes aren't Very Happy
Treacodactyl

I'll send them an email. I also need to ask them what to do with empty containers from car oil, fence treatment, wood preservatives etc. Not sure if they should be recycled, taken to the tip for landfill or thrown in the normal rubbish.
vegplot

Rather than emailing write a letter. Emails can be lost or responded to by some no mark. Write to the Chief Exec. Power always trickles down the chain very rarely up it. If that doesn't do anything then a well worded letter to the local paper may get things moving. Polictians only move when they fear for their seats or are seen to be missing set targets.
Treacodactyl

If I wrote a letter for everything I wasn't happy about I'd spend all day doing it. At least an email saves paper! Laughing
SallyAB

Mrs F - http://www.oxorinoco.org/ is a site for old paint, and they seem to collect from the tip, too. I realise it's the scraps, but might be worth a phone call
Mrs Fiddlesticks

ah, thanx for that Sally!
Treacodactyl

Treacodactyl wrote:
I'll send them an email. I also need to ask them what to do with empty containers from car oil, fence treatment, wood preservatives etc. Not sure if they should be recycled, taken to the tip for landfill or thrown in the normal rubbish.

Well I sent an email and got a reply back the next day. Unfortunately it was to say the email was being forwarded to the people who run the tips and I've not had a reply from them.

I went to a different tip and although the web site does not say they collect timber they do! The skip label said the timber would be re-used and because I was throwing out rotting and very old stuff I asked if it was ok and they said yes. Most of the stuff already in the timber skip looked either new or pieces of furniture.

I asked where to put empty old plastic containers that had fence treatment in (the containers say they should be disposed of as hazardous waste, even when empty) and I was told to put them in the plastic bottle bank. Shocked When I asked were they sure I was told to bung 'em in the landfill. Rolling Eyes

I've also noticed that, strictly speaking, I should be charged for any waste from repairing or improving my own home, so no old plaster, old fence stuff etc. Luckily there seems to be an exception if it fits into your own car.
gnome

we used to try to re-use paint as part of Community Re-Paint project, but it didnt work out too well. you said yourself - what can you do with half a tin of paint? it's not enough to paint one wall. the rules for Re-paint prohibited us from mixing it (all paint has to be in it's original container), and even if we could, it is not always possible because the chemicals used for the pigments often react badly with each other.

also - there is no such thing as a half empty tin of paint. all paint tins are full - just half full of paint and half full of air. the air is a problem - it causes a thick dry skin to form. if it doesnt form a thick skin, you have a bigger problem, because that means it wont dry - paint goes off eventually.

All the other Re-Paint schemes we talked to had the same problem as us - 90 % of the paint donated to us was useless. that left us with an enormous problem, because as we are a re-use organisation, that means the paint was no longer considered household waste, but commercial waste - so we couldnt take it to the tip.

I was driven half insane by the vast numbers of different colours of paint - so many different shades. to get just two or three tins matching, you have to collect hundreds of tins - and storage is a big problem in itself. unless it is white or magnolia, it will linger on a shelf for years.

paint is classed as hazardous waste, so it has to be stored correctly, and there has to be rigorous records kept of when it was collected, where from, and where it goes to. the cost of this makes it impossible to be sustainable.

we still run a Re-Paint project as part of another project, but now we get all the paint from manufacturers or stores - obsolete stock that is no longer sold, but is in excellent condition, and in large quantities, so very much in demand.

We still have many tins of "domestic" paint donated to us four or five years ago. occasionally we can use it for painting a chair, or an old chest of drawers, or if we have the right colours, they can be used for a small mural - but thats just about all it can be used for.

i did hear that some place in America is experimenting with making plastic out of certain paints.
FM

i forgot to add the link to community repaint. there are still some places that have kiosks where you can take your old paint - but i dont think anyone will collect it for you. for one thing, it would not be environmentally sound to burn fuel driving a vehicle to pick up a litre or two of old paint.
http://www.communityrepaint.org.uk/
Slim

vegplot wrote:
Rather than emailing write a letter. Emails can be lost or responded to by some no mark. Write to the Chief Exec. Power always trickles down the chain very rarely up it. If that doesn't do anything then a well worded letter to the local paper may get things moving. Polictians only move when they fear for their seats or are seen to be missing set targets.

And make it quite obvious that you're CC-ing the letter to the local paper!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home