Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Falstaff

What to do with the residue ?

I know a few of you do beer from scratch and I've just tried some - a 20 gallon lot which leaves me with a minor problem in that there is quite a lot of soggy residue from the grain etc.

Too much for the drain and I'm loathe to put iot in for compost as it's a food source for vermin - so What do you do with yours ? Embarassed
dpack

pig food was traditional for spent mash solids if you start with malted grains but defra rules say no kitchen waste so that isnt an option

maybe dig in under a planting trench?

lees (yeast sludge)composts well and i have not noticed a vermin prob slopping onto a heap
Midlandsman

A farmer still collects the residue from our local brewery.

I'd assumed he feeds it to his pigs?

MM
Tavascarow

A farmer still collects the residue from our local brewery.

I'd assumed he feeds it to his pigs?

MM
Ditto ours.
My father used to have a share & brought home about two tons a week.
e fed most of it to the cattle, dairy & beef.
Hairyloon

pig food was traditional for spent mash solids if you start with malted grains but defra rules say no kitchen waste so that isnt an option...

Do your brewing in the basement, so it isn't kitchen waste.
dpack

pig food was traditional for spent mash solids if you start with malted grains but defra rules say no kitchen waste so that isnt an option...

or in the garden Wink

iirc from a brewery is still ok but that might need checking on
Piggyphile

I had waste from my mead making (in the sitting room, not the kitchen) and I mixed it in with the chicken grain. Ty Gwyn

Brewers Grains are in the ingredients of many compound animal feeds,as are many other waste products from food and alcohol production. Rob R

Also inform your local authority that you are a feed producer. It'll mean keeping some basic records and a visit from the LA, but it isn't difficult and perfectly legal (and free). It's the same sort of thing that you have to do if you home mix pig feed, rather than feeding it as it comes out of the bag. Well meaning laws but perfectly unworkable if everyone were to follow them to the letter (as they simply don't have the resources to implement them).
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home