Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Marionb

Whatever Next.....

I'm lost for words.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/7413434.stm

Rolling Eyes
marigold

It seems everyone else is too Very Happy . Madness innit?
OP

"A North Wales Police spokeswoman said: "We can confirm that we received a complaint that plastic chairs were stolen from a recycling centre on 2 May."

If the police received a complaint then I guess they must investigate ... surely the real problem is the person who made the complaint - he or she is basically wasting police time.
Sherbs

I saw this and was similarly boggled.

How unbelievably stupid and petty and unneccessary can you get than charging someone with theft for removing a servicable item from a skip?
@Calli

Unattended skips here tend to get filled with broken patio chairs not emptied Rolling Eyes

What a ridiculous waste of tax payers money....... Mad
Slim

I've never been more than warned for my dumpster diving, and you folks are getting DNA samples taken! Surprised
Brownbear

orangepippin wrote:
"A North Wales Police spokeswoman said: "We can confirm that we received a complaint that plastic chairs were stolen from a recycling centre on 2 May."

If the police received a complaint then I guess they must investigate ... surely the real problem is the person who made the complaint - he or she is basically wasting police time.

When I reported catching poachers they didn't investigate.

When I phoned them after seeing a crusty breaking into someone's car and stealing a jacket, saying I could identify him and knew where he'd taken it, they put the phone down on me.
jamsam

cpg03 wrote:
I've never been more than warned for my dumpster diving, and you folks are getting DNA samples taken! Surprised

yep..and you have to apply to a judge to have them removed from the police dtabase.my friends 11 yr old son is on the database after he was cautioned for climbing a tree....
jamsam

Brownbear wrote:
orangepippin wrote:

When I reported catching poachers they didn't investigate.

When I phoned them after seeing a crusty breaking into someone's car and stealing a jacket, saying I could identify him and knew where he'd taken it, they put the phone down on me.

i had a Beaver sleepover once where three young men broke into the hall where myself and 30 kids under 8 were sleeping, there were 3 male leaders and two female plus myself, we chased them off and kept holdo f one but the police never came! we let him go after i sat on him for a n hour, i think thatwas punishment enough!
vegplot

jamsam wrote:
cpg03 wrote:

yep..and you have to apply to a judge to have them removed from the police dtabase.my friends 11 yr old son is on the database after he was cautioned for climbing a tree....

Never accept a caution unless you really have to. It stays with you for life and can affect job prospects, firearms applications etc. Very difficult to get rid of if you do get one.
judith

vegplot wrote:
Never accept a caution unless you really have to. It stays with you for life and can affect job prospects, firearms applications etc. Very difficult to get rid of if you do get one.

What do you mean by that - can you refuse to accept one? I'd assumed it would be issued and you couldn't do anything about it. And what would be the ramifications of not accepting?
jamsam

if you refuse a caution i think they have to take the matter further and proceed with court..but you could then have it thrown out and removed from the records if you win.

im really not sure as i managed to avoid the police almost entirely whilst growing up...
vegplot

judith wrote:
vegplot wrote:

What do you mean by that - can you refuse to accept one? I'd assumed it would be issued and you couldn't do anything about it. And what would be the ramifications of not accepting?

A caution is a way for the police not to persue a prosecution, for them and the CPS it can save a lot of time and effort especially for relatively minor offences. A lot of people don't realise what a caution is (some assume it's just a ticking off). A caution if differnt to an interview caution.

If you refuse a caution then it's likely you will be prosecuted. Before a caution can be given the the offender must admit the offence. If you refuse to admit the offence then you cannot be cautioned.

"In order to safeguard the offender's interests, the following conditions must be met before a caution can be administered

there must be evidence of guilt sufficient to give a realistic prospect of conviction;

the offender must admit the offence;

the offender must understand the significance of a caution and give informed consent to being cautioned.
"

There's a bit more info here

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/faqs/criminal-records/is-a-caution-in-a-criminal-record.shtml
judith

Thanks for the explanation.

vegplot wrote:
A lot of people don't realise what a caution is (some assume it's just a ticking off). A caution if differnt to an interview caution.

I must admit, that's what I had always thought it was.
mochyn

Off to look up Freeconomy...
Nick

What happens if she gets taken to court, and it's found legal? Interesting to see how council dumps will have to change. Certainly here, they come down on you hard if you try and take anything, quoting H&S.
gnome

i must admit - i have done it myself. i once built a working computer from bits i found in various skips. but you must recognise the fact that it is illegal. you are not doing anybody any harm if you smoke pot - but you will still get arrested if you are caught.

in this case, it is not stupidity - there is a principle involved. there is a good chance that somebody somewhere is claiming that the items in the skip were sent for recycling when they were not - but that is entirely a different matter. it is illegal to take things out of skips for very good reasons. one is that it is a health hazzard, and if someone is injured whilst removing items from skips (some skips contain very dangerous waste) then there are serious legal and insurance ramifications. therefore if someone is caught trying to remove items from a skip illegally, then whoever is responsible for that skip has a legal obligation to take action of some kind - otherwise a very wrong message is put out.

secondly, it is entirely possible that "rubbish" put into a skip at a recycling centre could well be destined for recycling or reuse. if people are allowed to cherry pick all the good waste and leave the bad waste, whoever is responsible for collecting the waste is not going to be able to meet the recycling rates that has been set. if you take "waste2 out of a corporation dumpster, they cannot claim it is being recycled or reused - it is waste they have legally taken responsibility for, but can no longer account for.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home