Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
sally_in_wales

Wheelbarrow recommendations?

We find ourseles in need of a wheelbarrow that will cope with hauling rocks up a slope. It also has to be as cheap as possible without being a one season wonder.
Any recommendations?
Cathryn

We have one from an agricultural/builders merchant type of place. It's pretty sturdy and I don't think it cost more than 10. Jack thinks 5 or 6.
sean

Yeah, but Jack probably bought it in 1968 and by anyone else's standards it would be broken. Wink
Cathryn

Yes good guess but in fact our neighbour bought it on our farm account to do some work for us and I commandeered it because of the above comments which applied to the wheelbarrow I had been using to muck out the sheds. Wink
Ty Gwyn

Lucky around here to find one under #30,and rubbish at that.
Mary-Jane

It's bit over 30, but I've got one of these from B&Q (linky fairy please) You have been visited by the wheelbarrow fairy.

It's nearly ten years old and has hauled everything from all over the place. It also has the advantage of being light, as well as sturdy.
RichardW

If you can find one get it with the tubes galvanised as well as the pan.

I'm finding that the painted pans last no time at all & the painted tubes only last 3 or 4 years before falling apart yet the pan is still in good condition.

Oh & dont get a twin wheel one.

The load balance is terrible & it will tip when partially loaded.
dpack

builders/agg merchant
about 30
put "slime"in the tyre
drill a drain hole
oil axle and pump tyre as needed

ace kit
Cathryn

Lucky around here to find one under #30,and rubbish at that.

I think it was Mount Trading on the industrial estate outside Aberystwyth, two years ago and still okay.
earthyvirgo

We need one for the very similar rock shifting job Sally, will let you know what we find.

EV
john of wessex

Builders Barrow.

Nothing else will do
Ty Gwyn

[quote="john of wessex:1339603"]Builders Barrow.

Nothing else will do[/quote

I don`t think they even make proper builders barrows anymore,the folded metal type,well i ain`t seen any around for years.

What they term builders barrows today,are rubbish,the tubs wear and rot in no time,i have a frame and wheel graveyard,lol.
onemanband

[quote="Ty Gwyn:1339634"]Builders Barrow.

Nothing else will do[/quote

I don`t think they even make proper builders barrows anymore,the folded metal type,well i ain`t seen any around for years.

What they term builders barrows today,are rubbish,the tubs wear and rot in no time,i have a frame and wheel graveyard,lol.

Yep - builders barrows, they don't make things like they used to, and I got a graveyard too.

It's got to be a Haemmerlin ....like this
http://www.birstall.co.uk/products/whae039.html?gclid=CJfSz6SUgLcCFSXLtAodBA4Ahw
There are cheaper Haemerlins but you want it to shift rocks and it to last for years.
metal wheel with metal bushes is what you need
plastic wheels are crap for moving weight. I bought a cheap(35) barrow to get a job done - moved a couple of ton and plastic wheel and bushes were knackered. And the handles flexed under load, so I had no control. And the front bar bashed into kerbs cos it was too low. Did the job then flogged it on ebay "poor quality, but low mileage" for a fiver, then bought another Haemmerlin.
Haemerlins come as tubeless so when you get a puncture you're best to fit a tube - a couple of quid on e-bay.
I use 2 Haemerlins. One good one and one for concrete and mortar - the later is like Trigger's broom and is over ten years old.
Ty Gwyn

They do look the best of what is available today,

What is the width of the tub?

Reason i ask,i bought a barrow,must have been early 70`s,this was the bees knee`s,similar to the one you showed,but was wider,in that you had to tilt going through a 2ft 6in doorway,but what a barrow,made of steel not Tin,yet not really heavy,but you could carry a huge load,because the balance was there.

Lasted over 20yrs,before a bit of repair was needed,the Pig muck finishes them all off in the end,rotting out the bolt holes that hold the tub down.
onemanband

25 and a half inches.
Cement rots mine. You can hose them out when new but eventually the muck builds up and then it's downhill from there.
I tried a plastic tub for use with mortar. Was good for toweling out of as the surfaces stayed flat (unlike metal which sags and stretches). Eventually the build up of muck requires giving it a bashing which eventually resulted in it's demise. Undecided if it was worth fitting - with care it did last well, but very brittle and no good for moving bricks or chucking around.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home