Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
mihto

Whelks

There are whelks in our waters, a well-kept secret apparently.

Question: How are they caught and where can one buy the equipment?
Nick

Don't you just pick them off rocks at low tide?
sean

You catch them in traps. Bit like crab/lobster pots. Don't know where you'd buy them though.
dpack

i just pick them up at low tide,be careful to only gather them from clean waters .as they are predators they can concentrate toxins from the critters they eat.

the big ones are a bit tough and improve with a hour boiling ,deshell ,mince and fry as burgers .the little ones are ok after a half hour boil

i spose if they are in deep water some sort of trap would work ,good baits might be mussels or clams

i recon i would eat the mussels or clams and ignore the whelks
Jamanda

They taste like fatty snakes though!
Rob R

They taste like fatty snakes though!

Is that a reason for, or against, eating them?
Jamanda

Ask Nick junior.
Rob R

He's adder fatty snake?
dpack

Laughing
dpack

a look at google images indicates that most traps are the lobster style baited with crab or fish so easy to make
mihto

The whelks I'm thinking of are these Buccinum undatum. They are much bigger than the smaller varieties we find at low tide. I have friends with boats and they will take us far onto the fjord where the water is clean. The critters are highly praised - and priced - as choice food for parties. I'm curious at the taste; I do love escargots. We shall see, I'll read up on how to catch them from the net.
dpack

those are the ones ,often called dog whelks in the uk ,the flavour is ok but they are a bit tough and chewey.

they do seem to be quite quite fussy about location so one finds a lot where they find good habitat so i spose for trapping it is a matter of finding the right spot .

with the right trap you will probably get crab/lobster as a bonus bycatch
Nick

He's adder fatty snake?

Dpack cooked him limpets, and he loved them. One of those childhood memories that'll stay with him forever, I reckon.
dpack

he will never be hungry at the seaside Laughing Nick

He's a teenage boy. He's always hungry, everywhere, even in the middle of an all you can eat buffet. Rob R

He's a teenage boy. He's always hungry, everywhere, even in the middle of an all you can eat buffet.

That's a teenage thing? Thanks for making me feel young. tongue8
dpack

Laughing

the seaside is an all you can eat buffet
Nick

He's a teenage boy. He's always hungry, everywhere, even in the middle of an all you can eat buffet.

That's a teenage thing? Thanks for making me feel young. tongue8

No, you're in The North. We see you in the same way as we used to see starving Africans on Blue Peter.
crofter

It is quite easy to make buckie pots, all of the ones I have seen have been home made, although it may be possible to buy them from somewhere. Start with a 25 litre plastic bucket or drum, if using drums first cut off the tops to make them into buckets. About 100mm of concrete in the bottom of each bucket with a wire loop set into the concrete to tie the bait bag to. Drill small holes (4 or 5mm) around the circumference at the top of the bucket and make a net cover with an eye about 75 - 100mm diameter in the middle. You can buy plastic eyes, or make your own from wire. Tie a bait bag in the middle of the pot from the concrete up to the net. Drill plenty of 20mm holes all over the plastic to help spread the scent of the bait out into the sea. Fix a rope longer than the depth of the sea where you intend to fish and tie a float on the top. Good luck! crofter

dpack

the bag for bait seems a very sensible idea and those are good reuse low tech traps RichardW

Ours area is well know for its welks, they all use the same sort of pots as above.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home