Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
cab

When a friend...

...gives you a Christmas present purchased from one of our traders, and you haven't dropped any hints or even mentioned that trader, its got to be cheering news.

Quite tickled me on Christmas morning opening a package and finding madder root and alkanet root bought from Sally in Wales Laughing

Next year, I'll drop hints that this is a good place to find traders for Christmas presents. Can't hurt Laughing
pookie

fab Wink
sally_in_wales

question is, what are you going to do with it? Wink
cab

sally_in_wales wrote:
question is, what are you going to do with it? Wink

Not entirely sure. But a goose farmer just gave me a two kilo jar of fat, and it strikes me that there has to be a soaping match up there somehow...
sean

cab wrote:
there has to be a soaping match up there somehow...

Never thought of it as a competitive sport before. Shocked
Jonnyboy

sean wrote:
cab wrote:
there has to be a soaping match up there somehow...

Never thought of it as a competitive sport before. Shocked

Neither is beach volleyball but it's worth a watch.
sean

If you want to watch cab soaping up then be my guest.
Jonnyboy

sean wrote:
be my guest.

Couldn't get jamanda to go with you, eh?
cab

There is no combination of 'goose fat' and 'beach volleyball' that ends up good. At least not that I can think of.

Anyhoo, madder root... Soap dye?
sally_in_wales

cab wrote:
There is no combination of 'goose fat' and 'beach volleyball' that ends up good. At least not that I can think of.

I think it would be stable, alizarin isnt terribly ph sensitive is it? Alkanet transfers into oil beautifully but is wildly ph sensitive, so you'll get interesting greys and lavenders, not red with it.
gil

cab wrote:

How badly will it stain the bath ?
Haven't you got any wool or cloth you could dye with it ?

Does madder have aromatic or skincare properties to make it worth using for soap ?
cab

sally_in_wales wrote:

I think it would be stable, alizarin isnt terribly ph sensitive is it? Alkanet transfers into oil beautifully but is wildly ph sensitive, so you'll get interesting greys and lavenders, not red with it.

Interesting... Ta Sally. Alkanet I know and can deal with, its the madder I've never had before. Exciting stuff Smile
sally_in_wales

gil wrote:

Does madder have aromatic or skincare properties to make it worth using for soap ?

Wouldnt make much difference, virtually any potentially 'active' property of an ingredient is cooked out by the chemical changes as the soap forms, it would be a pretty colour and not much else. Hopefully in small enough amounts not to stain the bath. Wouldnt want Ellie after me Shocked
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home