Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Andrea

When can young rabbits leave Mum?

I've a litter of baby rabbits which I've unexpectedly discovered under the freezer, as they've just reached hopping about stage and suddenly appeared. They're not safe from cats and dogs (or feet!) where they are so I want to move them into a hutch until they're a little larger but I've no idea which of the rabbits is Mum and only space to house one with them.

Does anyone know at what point a little rabbit is independent of Mum? The last thing I want to do is move them to keep them safe, but starve them instead! They're nibbling all the goodies provided for their bigger pals already.
Chez

They start to come out of the nest at about three weeks and seem to stop drinking at about five in my limited experience. Received wisdom is to remove them from the mother at minimum eight weeks; but the mothers are well fed up with them by then. At twelve weeks they start shagging.
Andrea

Excellent! Other advice I've received is that they can manage without milk at 3/4 weeks, although longer is obviously recommended. Assuming they're 3 weeks now, I've not much more of this chaos to deal with.

After a monumental cock up last night where I identified my only male as being the most likely candidate for motherhood, I ended up ejecting my new young Billy goat from his quarters to make space for ALL the rabbits on the floor in there. Catching them in the dark by torchlight, Yey!

I've been listening to the sounds of the Billy chasing the girl goats round and round the enclosure all night. At least someone has come out of this happy Smile
evie2

I had one doe who would turn on her kits at 4 weeks and she only ever had 2.
Chez

They can be really grumpy buggers, can't they? I've just been rather severely bitten by Flumpy, *whilst trying to feed her*. I think she's got babies in the corner.
BahamaMama

I still have scars from my pet rabbit - why do people think they are cute, they are monsters!
Andrea

And when they scratch you there's a real chance of it becoming infected too. Nasty buggers to move around. It's a good job they taste good.
evie2

One of ours kicked out as I was moving her back to her hutch and split 2 of my fingers, evil beggar Mad
Chez

I retrieved four bowls from Flumpy/Grumpy's cage this morning. It's the first time I've fed her for four days and my delegates have just been chucking the new bowl of food in and backtracking so that they don't get bitten whilst removing the empty one. Because THE BOWLS ARE HERS, ALL HERS.
Andrea

Have your helpxers considered gloves Chez?
Chez

The delegates in question were Leo and Arvo Smile. I am considering gloves - but not sure whether that would be even more threatening to the rabbit?
Rusticwood

Welding gauntlets Wink Laughing
Andrea

For some reason this is one of the funniest things I've read this evening Smile
Andrea

For some reason this is one of the funniest things I've read this evening Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home