Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Woo

when do ducks start laying?

Can anyone tell me when I can expect my sweet ducks to start producing eggs?
I got them in October, not a scooby how old they were. they were sold for the pot, per kg. they were fully feathered then.
I have been keeping a look out for eggs in the field, but there isnt many places for them to hide them.
Mick the drake has started doing his bit. and he is pretty defensive of the shed. his face is all red and knobly now, the girls dont have the red bits.
He is twice the size of the girls which i believe is correct.
the girls make the sweetest trilling noise and he hisses and wags his tail feathers endlessly.
i believe they are muscovey/barbarie/canard dinde. from what i can tell they are all the same beastie.
any clues?
Confused
Bodger

Whatever they are, this is the time that they should be laying.
Chez

Muscovies seem very seasonal; they should certainly be getting round to it now if they are going to. I think they're quite goose - like in their behaviour. Can you get a look in the shed?
Woo

Muscovies seem very seasonal; they should certainly be getting round to it now if they are going to. I think they're quite goose - like in their behaviour. Can you get a look in the shed?

Oh, I dont take any of his nonsence. It's just part of his amusing ways. he doesnt hurt me he just gets hold of my trousers. (yet another reason, if more were needed, not to wear shorts!)
i hope they do start laying soon. they seem happy enough.
i was looking at them this morning and the girls are starting to get the red around their faces too.
i will keep a look out for deposits! other than the projectile poo!
Chez

It sounds like they might be just coming in to lay. My Mrs Muscovy is quite red, but without the impressive facial carbuncles that Mr Muscovy had. (I had to rehome him because of his sex-drive). I've just spent a week with bruising like a domestic abuse victim on my arms, from her very firm ideas about people not looking in her nest whilst she was busy on it, so I do empathise with the shorts issue!
Woo

Easter sunday! yey! Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home