Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Northern_Lad

When I go...

...I want to go this way!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/4336100.stm
bagpuss

Could be cool

I like the Hunter S thompson idea of being fired out a cannon!
Northern_Lad

bagpuss wrote:
Could be cool

Yes, that's right folks; it's Friday - and the puns begin! Laughing
twoscoops

Ohh that looks great! Freeze dried, ground Twoscoops, turned into the compost heap.
Mrs Fiddlesticks

Hmmm interesting but.....

1stly it would only save 16% of the mercury emmissions ( so I guess that big industry are the real bad boys with the real mercury problem that no one wants to offend by tackling)

2ndly With improved dental health, ie less fillings, give it a few years and the mercury content of the average body will drop anyways.

3rdly how much energy is used to freeze dry a body?

Personally I'm for a wicker coffin just put simply in a nice natural setting with a tree on top as per Behemoths article ( which I can't seem to link to despite 5 mins of trying to get it to work! Confused )
mrsnesbitt

check this site out

http://www.naturaldeath.org.uk/
judith

I had always been adamant about wanting to be cremated, but I am warming Laughing to the idea of the greenfield burial site. There is one near us, and it is a beautiful place.
tahir

D'you reckon we could sell you as Ovaltine or summat?
bagpuss

Judith wrote:
I had always been adamant about wanting to be cremated, but I am warming Laughing to the idea of the greenfield burial site. There is one near us, and it is a beautiful place.

Its interesting, never really considered how my remains would be dealt with I guess my brain always filed it under I would be dead why would I care!
judith

bagpuss wrote:
Its interesting, never really considered how my remains would be dealt with I guess my brain always filed it under I would be dead why would I care!

That's what I always used to think too. I've been to a quite few funerals in the last couple of years. The last one was a burial - it was just so much nicer than the normal crematorium experience. I think that a beautiful site in the countryside would be a more pleasant experience for the people left behind.
Res

I already know where I want to be scattered/buried, NT Waters Meet site, somerset, in the cream teas garden at the foot of a huge fir tree thats slap bang in the middle of the garden, which overlooks the two converging rivers. Absolutely amasing atmospere there Cool
ele

I much prefer the idea of cremation because it's so quick and final, nobody has to even think about your grave and whether they should be visiting it. I don't have to worry about mercury fillings as I've already had those replaced. Unfortunately though cremation is bad in terms of energy usage compared to green burials as crematoriums are gas powered and being freeze dried is probably rather energy intensive too Sad I'd definitely want a cardboard coffin though, so at least I'd be a little bit green.
Jonnyboy

Er, If you've been reduced to a small amount of powder why do they bother with a lifesize coffin?
judith

Isn't the coffin for getting you from home to the place where you are reduced to powder?
Northern_Lad

Jonnyboy wrote:
Er, If you've been reduced to a small amount of powder why do they bother with a lifesize coffin?

You'll still be the same volume (unless they de-frost and drain you) as you've been frozen, not burned.

You still wouldn't need a full size one - you could even pick a funky shape.
2steps

I've always wanted to be cremated. I'd like my ashes scattered on the moon but don't know if that would ever be possible. I wouldn't want people to spend a ton of money on it either - a cardboard box from the market will do Laughing
ele

Northern_Lad wrote:
Jonnyboy wrote:

You'll still be the same volume (unless they de-frost and drain you) as you've been frozen, not burned.

But the proces is freeze drying according to the article so your remains would be all dehydrated surely.
Northern_Lad

ele wrote:
But the proces is freeze drying according to the article so your remains would be all dehydrated surely.

Hmm, good point.

Anybody any experience of freeze-drying bodies? Anyone? Anyone?
Well, does anyone have any experience of freeze-drying anything then?
ele

Northern_Lad wrote:
ele wrote:

Hmm, good point.

Anybody any experience of freeze-drying bodies? Anyone? Anyone?
Well, does anyone have any experience of freeze-drying anything then?

all you ever needed to know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze_drying
Andy B

I dont understand where the Mercury comes into it, is it in us or is it part of the burning process ?
Andy B

2steps wrote:
I've always wanted to be cremated. I'd like my ashes scattered on the moon but don't know if that would ever be possible. I wouldn't want people to spend a ton of money on it either - a cardboard box from the market will do Laughing

Could be a bit expensive ! and wouldnt your ashes just float away
Nanny

Quote:
Could be a bit expensive ! and wouldnt your ashes just float away

yes but just think

you would be part of the whole universe...................almost cosmic

a very 1970's type of thought, that one Cool
Northern_Lad

Is this where I pop the bubble and point out that we're all made of exploded star-matter anyway?
Behemoth

Andy B wrote:
I dont understand where the Mercury comes into it, is it in us or is it part of the burning process ?

Dental fillings and other metals from structural repairs.
Nanny

Northern_Lad wrote:
Is this where I pop the bubble and point out that we're all made of exploded star-matter anyway?

now you've gone and spoiled it.......... just as i was having a hitch hikers moment as well
Lozzie

Stick me in the ground, standing up (uses less space?) wrapped in a shrous made of some organic hemp maaaaaaaaaan, and plant a native hardwood over me noggin.

Then bang a drum and drink some home-brew and have a larf.
sean

Should we wait until you're dead, or is this the next Downsizer meet?
hermil

When my grandma died, my dad scattered her ashes on her allotment. So I suppose she got recycled.
She kept up her allotment until she was well into her 80s and didn't really want to give it up then.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home