Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
nettie

When to harvest Bramleys?

I know...it seems awfully early, but with the terrible weather we're having, I'm losing one or two a day. Netting underneath is no good, the high winds are hurling them all over the place (over the hedge and into the road!!!). At this rate there'll be none left. They're a fairly good size, but could be bigger. Shall I hang on and hope, or should I salvage what i can now? What would you do?
dpack

use the windfalls now ,the best fruit will fatten on the tree
yummersetter

if there's anything I specially want to keep, I cut the feet out of laddered popsocks/tights/stockings (clean, of course Wink )
and put the fruit into the foot and tie the 'ankle' around the branch.

Even if it comes away from the tree, it doesn't go far.

Especially recommended for Comice pears, far more precious than Bramleys and heartbreaking when they fall off and get pecked by birds
gil

Thanks for starting this thread, and the responses - you've reminded me to go and check my Grenadier for early windfalls.

In the time I was away, the fruit swelled from tiddly-tiny to usable-small Shocked
yummersetter

it's been the most extraordinary couple of weeks, all my tree fruit has doubled in size every time we get home on Fridays, and the branches on the plum trees are cracking under the weight, even with props.

A few hot and sunny weeks now, please, Weather Gods Smile
gil

yummersetter wrote:
it's been the most extraordinary couple of weeks, all my tree fruit has doubled in size every time we get home on Fridays, and the branches on the plum trees are cracking under the weight, even with props.

A few hot and sunny weeks now, please, Weather Gods Smile

OMG, I'd forgotten the stone fruit Shocked The trees were looking pretty laden when I last looked, a couple of weeks ago, though the fruit was still green.
I'd better go and check the banking orchard too.
And the geans [wild cherries]

It's all happening very/too quickly now
nettie

yummersetter wrote:
if there's anything I specially want to keep, I cut the feet out of laddered popsocks/tights/stockings (clean, of course Wink )
and put the fruit into the foot and tie the 'ankle' around the branch.

Even if it comes away from the tree, it doesn't go far.

Especially recommended for Comice pears, far more precious than Bramleys and heartbreaking when they fall off and get pecked by birds

That's quite an idea!!

Seriously, I am down to my last two dozen apples on the tree. Not a happy state of affairs. Might rummage through the tights drawer!!!!!
yummersetter

surely you have a few hundred pairs of tights with one laddered leg?

or is it just me Rolling Eyes
Tavascarow

yummersetter wrote:

I dont wear them but I know an ex marine who swears by wearing womens tights under his combats for winter warmth!
Laughing
Green Rosie

When small boy kindly picked all my young bramleys a while ago I made then into apple jelly. You could so the same with windfalls I think Very Happy
nettie

Tavascarow wrote:
yummersetter wrote:

I dont wear them but I know an ex marine who swears by wearing womens tights under his combats for winter warmth!
Laughing

I know a dispatch rider who did the same. i never looked at bikers in the same way after that!
Ageing Hippy

I know a dispatch rider who did the same. i never looked at bikers in the same way after that![/quote]

My old biker OH used to wear those knitted legwarmers like the dancers wear under his baggy leathers. He said they kept his knees warm.
gil

Checked the pomes and stone fruit at the weekend.
No windfall pomes.
Except Grenadier apples, everything's a long way off ripe yet.
wipka84

Ageing Hippy wrote:
I know a dispatch rider who did the same. i never looked at bikers in the same way after that!

My old biker OH used to wear those knitted legwarmers like the dancers wear under his baggy leathers. He said they kept his knees warm.[/quote]

I never could keep my knees warm, nor my fingers for that matter. I came off the bike with arthritis looking hands and freezing cold knees after an hour in the winter. Everything hurting. If I get another bike, I might just try a pair of stockings.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home