Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Bugs

when you eat laying hens

not that I'm planning this (honest babes!) but I wondered when people decide that a laying hen just isn't cutting the mustard and decide to casserole her...do people tend to wait until they really stop laying or do you often find a very nearly there egg inside, I assume you remove this along with the rest of the insides? Is it very visible? (I find myself also thinking this would be a really interesting picture to see the egg "in situ"...call me weird if you like..what's that, you already do? Fair enough).

I imagine it might occasionally be an issue with hens bred esp for the pot in that some come in to lay unexpectedly early?

Just something that occurred to me...
Gertie

Shocked

It's OK, Treacle, Ginger, Marmalade - mummy doesn't mean it! Wink

Wow, I've never thought about the points you have raised, Bugs. Interesting about the eggs in situ Confused
cab

When you're cleaning out an old bird for boiling, you do sometimes come across part formed eggs, most often it's just the yolks, and you can use them like egg yolks. I've made custard with them.

As for how to decide when it's time for the chop, I can't help you there; I had frugal parents who used to buy boilers when they were still really cheap, they'd given up on keeping chickens in the yard many years before I was born Sad
judith

Call me pathetic if you like, but I'm not sure I could eat one of my girlies. We have had to dispatch a couple in the past, but they didn't go into the pot. I suspect all my layers will reach the end of their days more or less naturally!

That said, I've got three turkey poults arriving on Wednesday. Bizarre, isn't it!
Jonnyboy

You will probably find a succession of part formed eggs, traditionally they were used for things like thickening soups etc. IIRC.

The problem with ex layers is that they will be rather old, but that's why all the great french pot recipes for chicken came from.
alison

It also depends on the breed.

There won't be much or any meat on a small hybred laying machine like an Isa.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home