Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Jb

Where can I buy rennet and how quickly does it work?

Pretty much as it says in the subject, Where can I buy rennet and how quickly does it work? but a bit of context might help.

I'm giving some students a lesson on uses of enzymes and showing rennet in milk would b a good example if it can produce a visible effect within 30 minutes or so for a classroom demo. It doesn't need to produce a usable cheese in that time just a visible effect. Is that possible? or do I have to get all Blue Peter and say "Here's one I made earlier". And where do I buy rennet, preferable animal rennet and not vegetarian.
pollyanna

On line.
dpack

timing depends on temp
iirc around 35c will be about right for demonstration purposes (over 40c is likely to denature the enzyme) but i dought you will see much effect in a lesson length of time

for making junket or cheese tis usually done cooler to avoid pathogens being happy

in a cool room a junket takes overnight to set

if you disturb the set milk it will break up into curds and whey(as in cheese making) so the blue peter hioime might require a bit of planning

re supply, online is probably your best option as home cheese making isnt common and junket seems to have died out with the victorian cornish iirc it was stocked by a few pre supermarket grocers and some larger chemists shops as late as the early 1970's.a local cheese maker might be able to help.

slight overkill for one lesson Laughing but they do stock natural rennet and it will keep reasonably well in a fridge.

having looked online ,since when was cheese vegetarian? Rolling Eyes but i spose vegetable rennet still curdles milk.
Tavascarow

My Mum made junket up to the late 1960s.
I hated it.
She certainly wasn't Victorian. Wink
jamanda

Many of the shops here in Devon sell it. It takes a couple of hours or so to set depending on temperature. You will get an observable, though not measurable result in 1/2 hour, especially if you use a water bath or something.

Shall I post you some?
tahir

Liver in hydrogen peroxide is much quicker and more spectacular
jamanda

Liver in hydrogen peroxide is much quicker and more spectacular

True. And you can poke a glowing splint in the bubbles to make it relight in the oxygen.
dpack

Many of the shops here in Devon sell it. It takes a couple of hours or so to set depending on temperature. You will get an observable, though not measurable result in 1/2 hour, especially if you use a water bath or something.

Shall I post you some?

a thought on timings if you start with milk at 35c in two thermos flasks (artificial calf tummies),dose one with rennet a bit before the lesson and compare the two during the lesson it removes the need for a waterbath (and setting it up which always took me a while to get it stable on temp) and the poss it wont have set enough to notice
Jam Lady

I think the rennet for junket and the rennet for making cheese are two different things. sean

The rennet is the same (as in the enzyme), junket rennet quite often has added vanilla though so not best for cheese. Though I suppose if you want to make cheesecake it might be the ticket. Jam Lady

Same but different. From a cheese making and supplies store on line:

Can I use junket tablets as a substitute for rennet?
No. Cheese rennet is 80% chymosin and 20% pepsin. Junket is 80% pepsin, so it is much weaker than cheese rennet. Even if you use more of it to compensate for this, there is so much pepsin in junket that it increases protein breakdown to the point where there are problems when the cheese ages. Junket was made for custards. If you read the label, you will see that there are many additives in it. In spite of this, and despite the price of junket (not inexpensive), there are many recipes online for making cheese with junket. We think this originated when supplies were hard to find for home cheese making. Now that they are widely available, there is less reason to use junket.
sean

Learn something new every day. Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home