Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Woodburner

Where to move to?

We're slap bang in the middle of Essex atm, in a currently rural area, but the writing is on the wall, so need to find somewhere with similar or cheaper prices, that's not likely to be developed for 20+ years. Thinking about south Wales or the west country, but it depends on house prices. I am having no luck at finding any summaries of prices.

What might I get for £200-£250k in say Glamorgan or Devon?
Ty Gwyn

Last year there was a 5acre smallholding near here,asking price £215,000,believe it sold for less,2 bed single storey cottage,
But this is West Wales,try Evans Bros,Morgan and Davies,Lampeter for a guide
Rob R

Incidentally, what is the draw of Wales/the Southwest? as opposed to the rest of the UK. Half of downsizer seem to come from those areas.
Lorrainelovesplants

the weather was the draw for us........

and tbh the house prices are virtually the same here as they were in a reasonable area in Glasgow suburbs/semi-rural.
Treacodactyl

Incidentally, what is the draw of Wales/the Southwest? as opposed to the rest of the UK. Half of downsizer seem to come from those areas.

For us it is the access to the coast, the warmer weather, higher rainfall, less built up surroundings and cheaper housing than some other areas.

Having said that parts of Wales seem much cheaper than the cheap parts of Devon if you're after a few acres with the property. Have a rummage around Prime Location or Right Move.
alice

http://www.lowsorkney.co.uk/search_results.asp?area=0&type=7&bedrooms=0&min_price=0&max_price=250000&name=&Submit=Search+Properties

Of course, you'll need your vest Smile
Woodburner

I don't want to go further north, nor does Mum - longer nights and colder. South of the Thames is (correct me if I'm wrong) even more commuterland than Essex, also west of London til you get to the west country, but Cornwall is (again correct me if I'm wrong) definitely too expensive with the 'second home' market pushing prices up.

Mum is quite keen on the Cardiff hinterland, and so am I now I've found some prices Wink but I'd still like to know how other areas compare. Looks like I'm going to have to trawl through property sites, like I was for south wales last night. (Thanks for the info Ty Gwyn. Smile )
Northern_Lad

I don't want to go further north, nor does Mum - longer nights and colder. ...

No, the further north you go the longer the days and the shorter the nights.
gil

In summer, yes, days are longer. But winter nights are longer.
Northern_Lad

Well, I was as accurate as Woodburner - and summer's when it counts for me.
Lorrainelovesplants

And its a long winter in Scotland (and cold) Sad
I dont regret moving further south for this reason alone (although i can thing of a lot of other reasons)
Nicky cigreen

I've pretty much always lived here.

you wont get much for your money in South Devon - house prices are terrible here - North Devon prolly much cheaper.
Ecocentric

As Ty Gwyn indicated, prices are cheaper in West Wales than, say the hinterlands of any large settlement areas partly due to it not being commutable to anywhere. Isolation from essential services eg medical etc should be considered. Also check the land carefully or, like us, you may end up with "more bog for your bucks".. Embarassed alice

Well, I was as accurate as Woodburner - and summer's when it counts for me.
Me too Very Happy
An hour more or less on a miserable winter day is neither here nor there but being able to comfortably work outside until nearly midnight in the summer is a massive benefit.
Even this early in the year we already have longer day length than the rest of the UK.
Dee J

If you want to stay as south as possible (within the UK) then generally, moving west gets more land for your money (as long as you avoid hotspots round cities. Why is it cheaper? mostly because employment opportunities are few and far between out here (not many cities/motorways plus expensive commutes to anywhere). Even the second home paradise of Cornwall has some lower cost areas providing you avoid pretty coastal bits). So you need a plan... whether it's self employment or a pre-arranged job or whatever - income generation is the major headache.

Of course, if you're financially independant there are plenty of places in the EU further south with cheaper land and even worse employment opportunities.....

Allons y mes amies

Dee
Leo

I have my eyes on Somerset, prices don't seem too bad. Wilts, Devon & Dorset much more expensive. Have a look at the Auction Market, Stags, Greenslade Taylor & Hunt, Symonds & Sampson etc. I find most of the rural property with land comes up on the auction sites, the std EA's are much less realistic on prices. Just for a laugh, Rural Scene is worth a giggle. OP

Even this early in the year we already have longer day length than the rest of the UK.
Presumably you have longer days between 21st March and 21st October.

We also looked at the western side, but moved north in the end. The summer day length (even in Yorkshire, which is hardly the north) is better than in the south-east.
gil

The longer daylength is between the Spring and Autumn Equinoxes : March 21st to September 21st.

The change in daylength is really noticeable around those dates.
Treacodactyl

The south west also has higher solar radiation than much of the UK, which should be better for growing plants and solar PV and heating.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/services/energy/renewables/solar
OP

The longer daylength is between the Spring and Autumn Equinoxes : March 21st to September 21st.
Yes, thanks for the correction - I was a month adrift.
alice

Actually we arrive at 12/12 a few days either side of the recognised equinoxes, which always makes me wonder just what the weirdy beardies are actually doing at the Ring of Brodgar on the 21st Confused
Woodburner

Actually we arrive at 12/12 a few days either side of the recognised equinoxes, which always makes me wonder just what the weirdy beardies are actually doing at the Ring of Brodgar on the 21st Confused

Arrrgh! Can we drop the day length debate, please? Laughing You're all making my head spin. Even putting the clocks forward or back gets me confused about sunrise etc. Embarassed Laughing It's the long cold winters that we don't really want, Mum simply doesn't like the cold, and I would either go stir crazy from not being able to do stuff outside for so long, or I'd go into hibernation and not wake up til the end of the summer!! Laughing

With regards location, between 'Move to the Country" house prices, and more detailed knowledge of how much 'commute miles' affect prices in Essex, I've come to pretty much the same conclusions as Dee.

Tourist areas i.e. areas with B&B potential are not out of the question, provided they are within our budget, commuter zones are no way Jose. I hate commuters and fat cats with a vengeance. They are why I can't buy any land round here, (this is prime commuter belt, and every inch of land has 'investment potential' Mad ) and face the prospect of having only commuters for neighbours as the original inhabitants move into sheltered accomodation one by one.
matey

I have a business in Scotland and wouldn't move there its too wet, in the summer cold in the winter and just too dark in the winter too.
I've been doing my home work recently and think that Wales must be right for us. Cornwall and Devon have been having too many torrential rain storm in the summer in recent years.
We think that moving abroad is too much hassle, but may have to consider the option as prices are attainable everywhere except Britain.
judith

Wales must be right for us. Cornwall and Devon have been having too many torrential rain storm in the summer in recent years.

Ummm. Have you spent much time in Wales? In the Winter?
Or in the Summer for that matter.
Katieowl

One of my daily, accessable by foot, dog walks Cool

Photobucket

That and the fact that for what we sold for in London we were able to buy oughtright two years ago.

We are about three miles from 'town' (Cardigan) which has most that one would want from day to day, including a couple of Dr's. OK Dentist was more of a problem...we've only just found an NHS one an hour away by car in Aberystwyth, and the local A&E is same drive in another direction. But it's still rural, just a short drive out of town. Rail links and coach are same distances away at Aber and Carm. so any non-driving visitors need ferrying, but it becomes a habit pretty quick to save/plan other 'errands' for those trips.

Work for OH wasn't an issue as he's self employed, he is picking up work locally. But aims in time to make stuff to sell rather than work for people (he's a cabinet maker/woodworker)

We're letting one room as B&B at Easter, so the fact that it was a far flung holiday destination was part of the master plan. So that is my 'employment' I hope! Eventually too I hope to make and sell craft work.

The work situation is much more of an issue for those 'looking for work' Our 19 year old son is currently unemployed, and there isn't much apart from seasonal if you can get it for a young guy. TONS of care work available though as far as I can make out! Having a multiple small income sources seems to be the order of the day! That having been said...work was pretty pants for the kids in London, and one of them HAS picked up a permenant job here.

And although this is a 'micro holding' (no acres) we've ample space for our own veg (we had two allotments in London) and 8 chickens.
We paid £200K two years ago...was two beds, and has now got three...as the garage was converted to let as guest room.

HTH

Kate
matey

[Ummm. Have you spent much time in Wales? In the Winter?
Yes and its way warmer than Scotland! It was sheet ice in the yard at sea level for at least 6 weeks jan and feb, temps never got above -10 for all that time..... It beagan to feel warm at that temp, working outside has been grim for the past two winters now, sometime down in -20s . So much snow that we are snowed in for weeks at a time just aint fun. I can't face another winter like that!
Scenery is good, but not that good.
I was in Pembrokeshire in November and was still able to forage food along the coast.... No way you could do that in Scotland or Cumbria even with the Gulf stream.

Kate has the right idea, I might be joining oyu down that way next year kate.
Ty Gwyn

That photo looks like Mwnt,but where`s the Big rock in the middle of the bay gone? Katieowl

That photo looks like Mwnt,but where`s the Big rock in the middle of the bay gone?

It IS Mwnt Very Happy But there's not been a rock in the bay since we've been here? Are you sure you're not thinking of the Flat Rock at Gwbert?

Kate
Katieowl

[Ummm. Have you spent much time in Wales? In the Winter?
Yes and its way warmer than Scotland! It was sheet ice in the yard at sea level for at least 6 weeks jan and feb, temps never got above -10 for all that time..... It beagan to feel warm at that temp, working outside has been grim for the past two winters now, sometime down in -20s . So much snow that we are snowed in for weeks at a time just aint fun. I can't face another winter like that!
Scenery is good, but not that good.
I was in Pembrokeshire in November and was still able to forage food along the coast.... No way you could do that in Scotland or Cumbria even with the Gulf stream.

Kate has the right idea, I might be joining oyu down that way next year kate.

I LOVE the weather here in the winter Smile

It's not just cold and miserable! We have great vistas that change all the time, sea mists and river fogs. Love to watch the clouds change and see the rain coming our way in advance (great for estimating when to take the dogs out) The frost is beautiful...I was told we would never have frost or snow so close to the coast - but we did last year and the year before. Nothing beats a cold crisp winter or autumn day, or a brisk spring morning. I think Wales 'out of season' is one of out best kept secrets.

Yeah it gets cold - we don't have central heating - but we didn't in London either, and this cottage is FAR warmer than London ever was. We are all used to sticking on a jumper, and none of us regard getting the log burner going as a chore. The only one who thinks it's too cold here is one of the dogs, but she's quickly learned a particularlly irritating yap that means "Stick the bloody fire on!"

Kate
Ty Gwyn

That photo looks like Mwnt,but where`s the Big rock in the middle of the bay gone?

It IS Mwnt Very Happy But there's not been a rock in the bay since we've been here? Are you sure you're not thinking of the Flat Rock at Gwbert?

Kate

I`m pretty sure it was Mwnt,but i hav`nt been there in over 20yrs,even though i only live 20 odd miles up the road,
The rock was a big square,20ft tall,very sea worn,so maybe has collapsed under the continual wear of the waves.

I cannot picture Gwbert,but Mwnt stands out,it looks like its been cut out,its square shaped bay.
Nicky cigreen

if you want to pick an area that is unlikely to be developed, then maybe worth living in a national park?

I live in Dartmoor national park. downside is you have to apply for PP for so many more things than property outside of NP - but.. upside is the same applies to everyone else.
Woodburner

Hmm I was wondering about Brecon Beacons NP. Any idea whidh way it affects prices? Would I need PP for chicken arks, pig arks, bee hives or planting trees? Ty Gwyn

West of the Beacons is a lot more expensive than the East gz

get somewhere which already has these? Nicky cigreen

Hmm I was wondering about Brecon Beacons NP. Any idea whidh way it affects prices? Would I need PP for chicken arks, pig arks, bee hives or planting trees?

phone the park authority and talk to them - they are usually pretty approachable.

no idea how it effects prices in Brecon. here it can keep prices lower... eg our house has a couple of fields attached... if those fields could have been developed, then they would be worth a lot more

we had to apply for PP to put up a greenhouse, and a small barn - gt pp ok (costs and hassle to go thru system of course) but when we enquired about poly tunnel, seems unlikely we will get PP, so we did not pursue.
Woodburner

Thanks everyone for your comments. Smile
Using the magic word "paddock" Exclamation I have managed to find properties that 'tick all the boxes' in south Wales, so now for the big clear out, and hope that I will still be able to find suitable property when we are ready to move! Rolling Eyes Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home