Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
inncca

Which Bank has the best online banking security???

Just want to throw this out there!

We are looking into which banks are better for business accounts - with online security etc..... Smile
Rob R

That's one thing I find HSBC pretty hot on
Ty Gwyn

2nd HSBC.
inncca

Thanks - we have had a rather nasty taste of how online banking can go seriously wrong - in the space of 4 hours!!! To the extent that all business and personal accounts had the funds wiped out........
tahir

Which bank was that with?
inncca

It was Barclays..... Sad
Rob R

There's no connection between business & personal with my online banking.
tahir

Hmm, we're with Barclays, no issues here
Rob R

Santander & the coop seem to have online banking systems that were designed before the internet was invented, though I have no known issues of security.
Spider

I'm happy with Santander...no problems here!
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I like Nationwide, the log on system does not rely on just typing in passwords, there is a little widget you have and put your card in and it gives you a one-off passcode to use.

In other words, you need to have your card and know your PIN, as a separate thing to your (possibly compromised) computer.

Fine until you misplace your widget... Wink
Pilsbury

Not true for nationwide, on the sign in page on the right hand side it says you can sign in with memorable data, which i always do as i never have a widget with me but yes, i have never had a problem wit tem but i tend to use paypal as a buffer between my bank and who i pay....
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Not true for nationwide, on the sign in page on the right hand side it says you can sign in with memorable data, which i always do as i never have a widget with me but yes, i have never had a problem wit tem but i tend to use paypal as a buffer between my bank and who i pay....

I, uh, may have entirely forgotten about that. Embarassed Rolling Eyes
sean

I don't reckon there's much if any difference between them on how secure they are in the first place. The question you really need to find the answer to is who's best at sorting it out if your security is compromised.
mousjoos

First Direct...part of HSBC,

so as others have said already
inncca

Its not good - the supposed "caseworker" for the bank has not been in touch and we are now day 4 after the event.... Although everything is frozen (which I totally understand) the hackers attempted to take an additional amount 2 days after the initial clear out...... Mad

Talk about dragging their heels...
oldish chris

am I right in thinking that with banking, as a rule, the weakest link in the chain is the user, followed by the user's computer and that the least likely is the banks's system?

When I lost some money, it was because my debit card details were stolen from an on-line trading company. Only a few transactions had occurred before I noticed and informed the bank. Lloyds as it happens, and I had no problems getting things sorted.

I now have a credit card specifically for internet shopping - it would be no problem to me to simply freeze the account, plus the extra insurance if things go wrong.

BTW inncca - sympathies with your frustrations, hope it works out soon. Please share with us anything you've learned, it's only luck that we aren't in a similar situation.
Rob R

Lloyds fraud department appear to drag their heels - the bank have always been the ones to inform me of any irregular activity.
oldish chris

There's no connection between business & personal with my online banking.
are they with the same bank? If so, at a guess, their database treats the two accounts as separate entities, but wouldn't be surprised if, for reasons of risk, the database holds information on the customer e.g. total amount that they might owe the bank.

However, there could be a link outside of the banking system, e.g. using both personal and business accounts to purchase from one organisation.

My wife and I have a contingency plan, she has her own account with another bank, not much money goes through it, but, just in case.
inncca

It appears that the due to the fact that we (the family) have had to do our online banking on mother in laws computer - due to no internet for 4 weeks!! The problem seems to be her machine - she may have inadvertently let them in via a virus - you know the ones that come via email and you click the link!!!!

It wasn't only our Barclays accounts - it was 2 personal Halifax accounts and ISA's. Mother in law does the business banking on her machine. All the accounts involved had at some point been paid into from the business account.....

As we have been using her machine - we were just adding passwords and other details to their file.... Even with Kaspersky safety installed.

Anyway, you never know Barclays might ring me today!! BTW Halifax were brilliant and sorted it out within 2 days. Online account is still frozen but with the Halifax it is one person you talk to and a security number of 4 digits - to discuss this with. They have rung me everyday to make sure all is ok.

So far Barclays - I have had to ring everyday - 5 different people not knowing anything !!!
oldish chris

Dear inncca, when doing on-line banking using someone else's computer, use a "Live CD". Over in Linux-land, this is a well established practice, apparently used by FBI operatives.

AFIAK, this is a recent introduction in Windows-world (doesn't alliteration make it all sound quite poetic), the first set of instructions I came across

I know its shades of stable doors and bolting horses, but there may be other horses.
earthyvirgo

Nat West have been pretty hot on security, v good when I had an online fraud issue - sorted and refunded sum within 24 hrs.

...and they cancel cards at the first sniff of strange account activity.

Can't say they excite me with any special level of product or offer anything exceptional but I do feel as safe as one can do with a bank.

EV
VM

Inncca, how terrible. Hope you get it sorted out soon. Will you get your money back or not, or don't know yet? inncca

Thanks all. The bank have just put said money back - after I had a rather lengthy rant which finished along the lines ........ moving banks etc.,

We are demanding a new bank account etc., purely because the hackers have set themselves up for a payment and tried again 2 days after they had taken all our hard earned money!!!

Bank wont budge and say they need to keep this account open - to which I totally lost it......... They can keep the account open but I am not going to be working from it. So looks like I will be going elsewhere...

Think I may just cancel Christmas - heart just not in it!!!!!

The stress involved just adds "icing on the cake" for this year problems Mad
Kellyn

Thanks all. The bank have just put said money back - after I had a rather lengthy rant which finished along the lines ........ moving banks etc.,

We are demanding a new bank account etc., purely because the hackers have set themselves up for a payment and tried again 2 days after they had taken all our hard earned money!!!

Bank wont budge and say they need to keep this account open - to which I totally lost it......... They can keep the account open but I am not going to be working from it. So looks like I will be going elsewhere...

Think I may just cancel Christmas - heart just not in it!!!!!

The stress involved just adds "icing on the cake" for this year problems Mad

I'm so sorry you have had this happen to you, through no fault of your own, it must really have knocked the wind out of your sails BUT hopefully it will be plain sailing from now on, Christmas preparations might just be the thing you need to take your mind off all the other stuff and the New Year is just around the corner, so pick yourself up, dust yourself down and keep going, its not easy sometimes but I know you can do it. Smile
inncca

Thanks Kellyn - I don't think my lot would allow me to cancel Christmas - so yes, onwards and upwards!!

One positive yesterday, our own agricultural bank manager (who is very approachable) stepped in and has sorted out another bank account.

Still no word from the caseworker and having to go daily into bank with ID for bank transfers and up to date statements - is certainly "character building".....
OtleyLad

On bank security.
When I had set up internet banking with the coop I had somewhat naivley given straight answers to the login questions such as:
Name of your last school
Name of your first school
Where were you born

Thinking about it (years later, Embarassed ) I realised that anyone who knew a little about me could have easily found these out.
So I contacted the bank and got them changed. Simples really.

Has anyone else done the same?
oldish chris

On bank security.
When I had set up internet banking with the coop I had somewhat naivley given straight answers to the login questions such as:
Name of your last school
Name of your first school
Where were you born

Thinking about it (years later, Embarassed ) I realised that anyone who knew a little about me could have easily found these out.
So I contacted the bank and got them changed. Simples really.

Has anyone else done the same? not exactly, but I have ignored the rules of grammar when entering that information and was a little bit cryptic. However, I now live 240 miles from where I grew up!

The first rule of internet banking is: "Trust No-one!" (Not even granma's lappy.) The second rule is "Paranoia is good for you!".
inncca

I have learnt a very valuable lesson and yes you are right - Trust No-One!!!!

Being Paranoid is a good sense to have....
inncca

Finally, all sorted with the bank. New account set up and new identity info....
So actually can get back to business.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home