Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
jema

Which Linux to try next?

I put the finishing touches to my Fedora Core 3 Linux box this morning. installing the ingres database so it can be on call to earn my living.

This means my old Mandrake 9.1 install can be replaced/upgraded. I am tempted by Suse, but I am not sure.

I view my FC3 box as the "server" box, the install I want to do, I want to be a "desktop" box, a decent replacement for windoze.

So any recommendations?
trigfa

I would certainly recommend Ubuntu. I've been using it for about six months now and am mightily impressed

If you prefer KDE to Gnome you could try kubuntu
jema

I like their non profit ethos Smile Too many of the distributions have got very commercial these days.
michael

Gentoo?

If you want to get your hands dirty and learn how U*nx operating systems work, why not try Gentoo. This is more of a "meta-distribution" than a conventional distribution - you download package descriptions, then the package management system goes out and gets the latest version of the source code, and compiles it on your computer according to your specific optimisation settings. (Pre-compiled binaries are available too, for most packages).

The advantage of something like Gentoo is that it is easy to upgrade and keep up-to-date, especially compared to something like RPM-based distributions. I'm sure that the Debian distro fans will point out how easy they are to use, but I've never had any experience with these Embarassed - just lots of struggles trying to compile PostgreSQL, PHP, Apache, OpenLDAP and OpenSSL on top of RedHat 7 (going back a few years now). In Gentoo, just type:
Code:
emerge --update world
and it downloads, configures, compiles and installs the chosen packages (and any dependencies) automatically...
jema

It sounds a good one from the hard core deveopment point of view, and I appreciate this point of view as whilst my code contribution to Linux is possibly the smallest in the world Very Happy you do egta bit of my code on the average linux cd Laughing

I ended up being very boring and sticking to Fedora Core 3. So now I run a couple of FC3 boxes in the office and a couple of FC2 live servers, one of which this site is on.

A lot of what i was looking at in May was part of an effort to get more up to speed as a server admin.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home