Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Hairyloon

Which portable OS?

I have in mind to stick an OS on a USB stick for no particularly good reason, but there have been a few occasions of late where one would have been useful.
Does anyone here have any recommendations?
I was minded to go with Puppy Linux because I understand it is specifically designed for that kind of thing, but it is proving to not work so well, although that may just be my teething troubles with it being a bit different to what I am used to.
Besides which, data sticks are so cheap nowadays that there is probably no need for a cut-down OS, though I would be interested to hear opinions.
dpack

linux+ tor+ pgp = small and very portable,all you need is a pooter with a slot and an internet connection of some sort.

tis what some folk use but it is worth checking the sky for reaper drones Laughing
Hairyloon

I think Linux was taken as read, as I don't believe you can run Windows from a stick, but which distro?
dpack

iirc there is a portable version of mint

my cinnamon mint works really well and seems very stable on the steampunk server so i recon the portable version might be worth a try.
dpack

catch me if you can
Hairyloon

catch me if you can

I had decided to go with Mint, since it is what I am more used to, but the installer says it wants 9GB...
The reviewer seems to rate Puppy very highly, and I have already got that on a stick, so perhaps I'll try a bit harder with it.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home