Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
tahir

Which router

I've got my static IP connection from Demon, I had a secure router (prestige summat) at work that I was going to use, unfortunately it seems to be knackered (won't even ping).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent router that I can use for internet access and to VPN to work?
jema

Re: Which router

tahir wrote:
I've got my static IP connection from Demon, I had a secure router (prestige summat) at work that I was going to use, unfortunately it seems to be knackered (won't even ping).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent router that I can use for internet access and to VPN to work?

Until you said VPN I was going to say the spare one I have in my office! Actually looking for links I see:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Sections-article49-page1.php

implies it should be possible.
tahir

Certainly looks good, combien Mr Jema?
jema

tahir wrote:
Certainly looks good, combien Mr Jema?

tahir

jema wrote:

Sounds good, can you send it? I'll re-imburse you.

Tahir
jema

tahir wrote:
jema wrote:

Sounds good, can you send it? I'll re-imburse you.

Tahir

Just PM the address.
mrutty

If the VPN doesn't work then setup an old PC with Smoothwall and vpn via that.
tahir

Thanks both, I have got an old PC lying around so could do that

(got the parcel yesterday Jema)
Lozzie

I am sooo not with it. When I read the thread topic I was goinf to suggest one of these:

Rolling Eyes
tahir

Hmm, looks good Lozzie, what is it?
Lozzie

It is a ROUTER!!
jema

Laughing and much more fun they are to Very Happy
tahir

Lozzie wrote:
It is a ROUTER!!

That looks a lot better than what Jema sent me, can I upgrade to one of those please?
ele

How come a computer router is pronounced roooter

And a carpentary one is pronounced rauter, or is it just that I learnt that prononunciation from watching new yankee workshop a few too many times? Confused
Lozzie

A computer ROUTER is based on the word Route - i.e. path to travel -"Take the shortest route!"

A carpenter's ROUTER is based on the word Rout - i.e. grub up, dig out - "Rout out the loonies!"

Here endeth the semantics lesson. Where's my anorak gone? Smile
ele

Lozzie wrote:
A computer ROUTER is based on the word Route - i.e. path to travel -"Take the shortest route!"

A carpenter's ROUTER is based on the word Rout - i.e. grub up, dig out - "Rout out the loonies!"

Here endeth the semantics lesson. Where's my anorak gone? Smile

Of course! Thanks Smile and here you go...

mrutty

ele wrote:

And a carpentary one is pronounced rauter, or is it just that I learnt that prononunciation from watching new yankee workshop a few too many times? Confused

Nope in the States they are both rauters. Most amusing when the Yanks some over and don't understand why all the IT guys are on the floor wetting themselves.

Of course having an Ozzy office means that when I say rooter they wet themselves and it's ruder.
mrutty

In case I forget http://www.smoothwall.org/
N.V.M.

there's a good chance that the power supply/transformer is the culprit and not the router itself. the specs should be on the transformer, something like 5 volts/5 amps. a simple test with a tester will tell you and all you'll need to replace is the transformer itself.
Mat S

mrutty wrote:
In case I forget http://www.smoothwall.org/

Marvellous software, kept me safe for a few years now. Reboots only due to power cuts or software updates which are about annual now. I take that as a sign of a stable secure product.

9:51pm up 78 days, 2:21, 0 users, load average: 0.62, 0.22, 0.06

on a P200.
dougal

mrutty wrote:
ele wrote:

Nope in the States they are both rauters.

Bizarre American pronounciation here.
As a noun, its "root", as in Route 66...
but as a verb its pronounced "raut", eg "for my flight to Paris, France, can you raut me so that I have a 24 hour stopover in London?"
However, the box we are discussing, is a box that "rauts" your traffic to the net, so, in the US of A, it is indeed called a "rauter".

But I wonder why it isn't Raut 66? Rolling Eyes
N.V.M.

because you say aluminium Razz
Jb

On a related issue ...

My home broadband connection has gone screwy! I normally get a fairly reliable 256 download, 512 upload but over the weekend that has gone to 256 upload and about 20-40 download Shocked (which is pretty close to unusable Crying or Very sad ). The weather's been a little damp and I've experienced a few brownouts over the w/e which left me needing to reboot the router. Anyone out there know why it should be doing that and what I should be looking at to fix this? If it was external I'd expect it to affect both upload and download speeds, but I've pretty much eliminated everything internally.

On a related unrelated issue routers (rauters) are much more fun than routers (rooters) - maximum noise and sawdust to work ratio of any of the power tools I play with Very Happy .
tahir

One tip, make sure you're not trying to connect a DSL/Cable router to an ADSL connection, took me several hours yesterday to work that one out Evil or Very Mad Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home