Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
PeteS

Who eat all the Ceps?

While driving to meet Bingo at some remote place in the dark depths of the New Forest (i.e. a pub) I noticed, from my car window, a huge patch of Fly Agaric. Now as many of us know Fly Agaric can also mean Ceps, however, I did think that as these mushrooms were so close to a busy road any Ceps (if they did exist) would have been taken by foragers long ago. Still it was worth a picture and so nearly causing an accident (it is a busy road) I stopped to take a look. Anyone guess where this is?...

Spot the Ceps...

No Ceps? I was wrong. There was one prefect Cep (no maggots, firm, pores still white and of medium chunky size), another large but no maggots, firm, dry and with yellow pores - 16cm across the cap. Perfect for drying and will keep me happy over some of the winter at least. Went back later and found two mouldy over-blown Ceps. What was annoying about this is that I've been past (in the car) this spot almost every weekend over the Autumn. Still, a result for this season.

Also found another nice Cep (white pores, no maggots) a little later in the day. And a Bay Bolete.

Hmmmm.... yummy...

Result of a day in the Forest...

Ok, this did take 5 hours to find (I was shattered when I got home), although you could have filled a basket just with Honey Fungus or Deceivers, but it is pointless taking more than you can handle.

I felt a little guilty for finding all the Ceps but Bingo got the Wood Blewit award. All together a good day out. My dog thought it was great too Very Happy
Stewy

Nice, I only saw 1 Fly Agaric this morning, normally there are loads of them.
bingo

Quality.
Green Rosie

Re: Who eat all the Ceps?

PeteS wrote:
Anyone guess where this is?...

Side of a road in Hampshire somewhere? Possibly near a pub? Laughing
gil

Nice photos. I don't think I've ever seen a fly agaric for real.
kyoto

I've never seen so many fly agarics in one picture! Very pretty ... Is there really a cep hiding in there ? Give us a clue where to look !
bingo

kyoto wrote:
I've never seen so many fly agarics in one picture! Very pretty ... Is there really a cep hiding in there ? Give us a clue where to look !

Here!
PeteS

Yep, Bingo has got it.
bingo

looks like it's already in the basket in the top pic.
kyoto

Blimey ... you need to keep your eyes to ground level to see this! No wonder it took you five hours to get this haul Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home