Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
boisdevie1

Why are my chickens so skinny

I bought some Barred Plymouth Rock chicks at Easter. Yesterday I killed 3 of the cocks and they were really skinny. So I'm obviously doing something wrong. They are fed soley on wheat and have plenty of space to run around. To get bigger birds do I need to:
1. Use a different breed.
2. Feed them something else.
3. Feed them on demand.

Any advice would be welcome.
pink bouncy

Hi Bois, have you tried any other breed for the table? I have had BPR crosses that were a fair size but they were six months old. My five month old light sussex cockerels had much more breast meat than the BPRs and tasted better too.
I test their readyness for slaughter by feeling them. If their breastbone is very prominent it tells me they're putting their energy into bone growth still and I leave it a while longer. For dual purpose breeds it usually works out at around five to six months and perhaps a little longer if we have them over winter.
Bodger

I had some Maran Cocks given to me some years ago, I fed em and I fed em and still they were skinny.
The old so called dual purpose breeds have to be kept for 9 or 10 months of age before you chop them .
They are not in the same division or even league as a cob or any other modern hybrid meat bird.
Mr O

I would think that more protein was needed most growers pellets are pretty high in it but wheat alone perhaps is not enough?
fenwoman

Re: Why are my chickens so skinny

boisdevie1 wrote:
I bought some Barred Plymouth Rock chicks at Easter. Yesterday I killed 3 of the cocks and they were really skinny. So I'm obviously doing something wrong. They are fed soley on wheat and have plenty of space to run around. To get bigger birds do I need to:
1. Use a different breed.
2. Feed them something else.
3. Feed them on demand.

Any advice would be welcome.

don't alow them to free range, feed them on demand, feed them growers pellets with a little mixed corn and plenty of other stuff.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home