Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
tahir

Why aren't tea urns insulated?

It'd make sense wouldn't it...
Behemoth

It would but as to why not, I don't know and suspect I will now have a sleepless night full of troubled thought. Evil or Very Mad
Róisín

I spy a new knitting project ... Twisted Evil
Mrs Fiddlesticks

s'pose in the same way that kettle's aren't? Tis only a huge wide kettle afterall.
Bernie66

Re: Why aren't tea urns insulated?

tahir wrote:

Too much time on your hands or a very curious mind young sir!
gil

Bernie66 wrote:
tahir wrote:

Or a searing experience...
tahir

Bernie66 wrote:

Nah, just thought of the waste incurred by letting all the heat escape.
dougal

Well, as with compost heaps, the bigger the scale of the thing, the less (heat losing) surface there is in comparison to the volume (and hence the amount of stored heat).

Tea urns really shouldn't be keeping stuff hot for any great length of time... by tradition tea should be made with freshly drawn (hopefully well-oxygenated) water, and once made shouldn't be 'kept hot' before serving as it 'stews'.
Then there's the question of whether any insulation might make cleaning the thing more difficult, bringing hygene risks.
And then there's cost. Making a 'metal thermos flask' (metal to avoid hygene problems & to be robust) of that sort of size is going to be considerably more expensive. And, from the first point, there's maybe not much saving to be made...
tahir

Thanks Dougal, knew there had to be a reason.
alternative-energy

In order to use the renewable energy generated through our PV system in a variety of ways we are currenly experimenting with a homemade lagged tea urn.
It has a 1600 watt element and during a sunny day we produce this amount of electricity easily. 4099 watts has been the highest so far.
The urn is lagged with an old hot water cylinder jacket and a fire blanket. The outside of the tea urn can get very hot.

The 10 litres of water boils in about 15 - 20 minutes and then goes into a tick over mode where by it uses 160 watts. We have this set up on a timer which switches on and off every 15 mins. When the tea urn is lagged the water does not have to reboil again using 1600 watts; the tick over of 160 watts is fine to maintain the temperature. When it is not lagged the tea urn a great deal of heat and has to reboil.
OK, this is not the most efficient way to create hot water using a solar system but we create 'boiling' water and its near boiling until we decide to use it for tea, washing up, cooking vegetables, rice etc that evening
If we don't use it all that night it is still easily hot enough for a wash in the morning.

Presently we are being paid 5p per kwh for the elecricity we generate so we are getting paid to make boiling water.... not bad!

Have a commerically available tea urn that's lagged would make some sense to us.
Lozzie

That's a TAPIR not a TAHIR Rolling Eyes
tahir

Lozzie wrote:

Just had a phone call from someone that called me Tapir
sally_in_wales

Its a very sweet tapir, positively cute
tahir

sally_in_wales wrote:
Its a very sweet tapir, positively cute

So like me...
mrutty

tahir wrote:
Lozzie wrote:

Just had a phone call from someone that called me Tapir

That's not what most of your customers call you Laughing Laughing Laughing
mrutty

All the tea urns' I've seen are insulated and double skined Confused
tahir

mrutty wrote:
That's not what most of your customers call you Laughing Laughing Laughing

No, but it begins with T and ends in r Laughing
Will

A bit like "terror" or "transistor" or "teleporter" then.
tahir

Almost, but not quite Laughing
H.I.S

They are or they are vacume insulated
oddballdave

tahir wrote:

That's why they are!
Oh you don't shop where I do.

There are two sorts of tea urn.
Unpowered - double skinned
Powered - Double skin with insulation between the two layers.

Try your local government surplus store for an ex-forces urn.

Dave
dpack

so thats what happened Laughing Laughing Laughing
tea urns deserve lagging .
i need to see that on a bill board Rolling Eyes
ellep441

I am doing a project for my maths degree on whether it is economically viable to run an insulated tea urn.

I agree with the theory of insulation (being a bit of an eco buff) but the question remains

When I search for hot water urns they are generally uninsulated. I suppose this is down to the time the water is kept warm for - perhaps 2-3hrs max

I compare mainly with the hot water cylinders in the house being lagged (a legal requirement) where someone may have the water constantly at temperature.

I am looking into whether it is viable, given the higher initial cost, to buy and run a tea urn that is insulated. My main problems are finding costs to buy the urns - all the priced ones (amazon.co.uk) are not insulated. My fear is that the extra price tag is enough to put off most potential purchasers
Rolling Eyes Idea
Nick

They'd also have to be larger or smaller inside, and heavier.
ellep441

agreed. Plus the outer skin would have to be coated - which would add to the cost more.
trying to get cost differences is a nightmare
Nick

However, you're on Downsizer, where the actual answer to the problem would be that Sally/Mochyn would knit you a giant cover, and Richard would set up a fully grid independent solar system to run it, and harvest the excess heat back into your living room.

And everyone else would make cake to serve with the tea. And MJ would organise it all.
gardening-girl

Laughing Laughing
ellep441

I am starting to think the answer to this question is 42
Neutral
Mary-Jane

And everyone else would make cake to serve with the tea. And MJ would organise it all.

Neutral

It is.
mochyn

Neutral

It is.

Did you ever thhink it might be anything else?

And I like Nick's plan.
ellep441

given that is the answer to life the universe and everything I think "tea urns" are lumped in the "everything" folder.

I could murder a good cup of tea now after all this

Perhaps instead of handing in a project about this I should instead hand in several pages with "42" written on them. Obviously several different fonts, sizes and colours, but "42" nonetheless
Nick

It'd be as much use and less effort than a proper maths degree. Wink ellep441

and I am wanting to start a PhD next year - hopefully no tea urns involved - started seeing them in my sleep I've done so many experiments on them mochyn

By the way, elepp441: welcome to the site! You seem to be fitting in fine. ellep441

never done forums before so didnt know what to expect. Thanks Nick

PhDs are nothing but tea drinking til the last 3 months. ellep441

will have to get a tea urn now to do experiments on it

then I will reuse it when I do PhD.

WIN-WIN
Very Happy
RichardW

Can we have a definition of what is a tea urn?

Are we talking a Baby Burco boiler or a tea dispenser?

Most tea dispensers have a thin double skin to keep the tea hot but boilers tend not too.
ellep441

I am looking at a hot water boiler type. The drinker gets to choose their beverage of choice. buzzy

I am looking at a hot water boiler type. The drinker gets to choose their beverage of choice.

Apart from iced coffee/tea Smile

Henry
mochyn

I am looking at a hot water boiler type. The drinker gets to choose their beverage of choice.

Henry

Foolish boy.
12Bore

Henry
Ah, but, cold day, uninsulated urn.....?
ellep441

I would like to be stood NEXT to an uninsulated urn
Surprised
12Bore

I would like to be stood NEXT to an uninsulated urn
Surprised
Welcome to the madhouse btw Laughing
tahir

I am doing a project for my maths degree on whether it is economically viable to run an insulated tea urn.

I agree with the theory of insulation (being a bit of an eco buff) but the question remains

When I search for hot water urns they are generally uninsulated. I suppose this is down to the time the water is kept warm for - perhaps 2-3hrs max

I compare mainly with the hot water cylinders in the house being lagged (a legal requirement) where someone may have the water constantly at temperature.

I am looking into whether it is viable, given the higher initial cost, to buy and run a tea urn that is insulated. My main problems are finding costs to buy the urns - all the priced ones (amazon.co.uk) are not insulated. My fear is that the extra price tag is enough to put off most potential purchasers
Rolling Eyes Idea

I never found an insulated one, ended up with a 20 ltr Baby Burco type of thing
chez

I have no answer to your tea-urn-sustainability issues, but welcome wave ellep441

I have an answer back from a request.

£390 for insulated urn in vat and delivery
£234 for a non insulated one
20ltrs

Will work through the calculations to see if worth it but that is a big difference
ellep441

I have an answer back from a request.

£390 for insulated urn in vat and delivery
£234 for a non insulated one
20ltrs

Will work through the calculations to see if worth it but that is a big difference
Dabinett

I have a 23l boiler for beer making which is unsulated. The first time we used it we used it as it came. The 2nd time (and thereafter) we spent a couple of quid on a foam camping roll mat, cut to shape with holes cut out for the control/wires etc, wrapped round and secured with bungee.
On average it cut heating times by about a third. Well worth doing I would say.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home