Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
wellington womble

Why does my pigs trotter stock never set

Any ideas? Chicken stock is often a loose jelly, especially if chilled, but pigs trotter, which is supposed to set, never does now. It hasn't for years. I use two pigs trotters, a couple of onions and carrots some peppercorns and a bay leaf in about three pints of water.

What I am doing wrong. I'm fed up of having to buy gelatine for the pork pies.
mochyn

How much liquid are you left with? You may need to reduce it further than you are doing.
wellington womble

Just over a litre. It's a bit gloopy this time, but not much.
Nick

Boiling destroys gelatin. So, if you're boiling hard, you might kill it.
mochyn

Ah yes: I'd forgotten that!
tahir

Boiling destroys gelatin. So, if you're boiling hard, you might kill it.

Does boiling destroy pectin? Is that the issue with my medlar jelly?

I'm sure there's enough pectin to start with, medlar juice is quite gloopy
mochyn

I think it does, Tahir. I was wondering wht you'd have to say about pork stock!
Pilsbury

Yes boiling destroys pectin as well, that's why the say to add the pectin liquid at the end of the cook if your using it
it can be a balancing act to boil off enough water without destroying to much pectin if the fruits are high water/ low pectin
Nick

It's not hard and fast, but if a biological thing ends in -in it's usually a protein. And these are destroyed by heat. Different proteins, different temperatures, and different amounts of destroy, so pectin, yes, probably.
wellington womble

Blooming typical. It's set just fine this time ( once it got in the fridge, at least) I didn't know about boiling though - that might explain the hit and miss-ness.

Would it work in a pressure cooker, if boiling kills the gelatine? I try to keep it at a very gentle simmer, but I don't like the smell.

At least it was better than the ham stock which leaked all over the inside of the fridge. I could really have done without that today.
Falstaff

If you don't like the smell, I'm wondering if you're cooking it long enough ?

If you can lift the trotters out without them falling apart and you having to go fishing for the bones etc., I'd say you aren't !

How many times do you hev to top the water up ?
Nick

Pressure cooker allows you to cook it to around 120 degrees. Reckon it would be worse, but I don't know.
wellington womble

I reckon it would be worse in the pressure cooker too. But chicken stock still goes gloopy in it. I think you might be right about boiling enough. I suspect I have been in a hurry the last couple of years. This year was more leisurely. I boiled it for a good three or four hours, but only very gently. I do all my chicken stock in the pressure cooker because I don't like the smell of stock boiling (tastes great. Smells horrible. I usually end up turning it off because the smell gets on my nerves after a while). It still smells in the pressure cooker, but not for so long. Anyway, I don't think they'd fit in the pressure cooker.

They would fit in the slow cooker though. I could do them overnight in that. Except the smell would keep me awake.
dpack

i did a 50 lt batch in a big pan

once it had cooled my large dark half wolf decided to pull on the rim

"yes we have a black one in stock "is a family phrase

and it set a treat under the kitchen units etc

(i will try to find the photo ,tis quite funny )
Midlandsman

I'd hazard a guess that it's a simple matter of not reducing it enough.

HTH

MM
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home