Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Boris

Why does my smoker keep going out!

I have been beekeeping for three years and still cant keep my smoker alight! I have tried dried grass, newspaper and smoker fuel and it just goes out shortly after I shut the lid! Clearly a lack of oxygen but where am I going wrong! I have tried less fuel....different fuel, more fuel, pumping it more...you name it! Mad Any suggestions as to where I am going wrong?
joanne

I have the same problem - I've found the only thing that really works is the corregated cardboard packaging that you get from Thornes - I've started using thinly cut up corregated cardboard to try and simulate it
Tavascarow

I use Hessian,
Burns well.
Make sure it's untreated.
The stuff upholsterers use has been treated with a fire retardant.
A lot cheaper than the corrugated cartridges & you can cut as much as you need.
chez

Scrunched up old egg boxes and keep pufferating it like mad.
Tavascarow

Chez wrote:
Scrunched up old egg boxes and keep pufferating it like mad.

That's what I found with all the card fuel.
If you put your smoker down for more than a minute it's gone out.
Hessian will keep burning as long as the smokers upright.
Put it in its side when you finish, & it will go out.
jamanda

I use wood shavings and a bit of newspaper to get it going. It has never gone out before I was ready. I was told cardboard burns too hot.
Tavascarow

is pufferating a means of cataloguing steam locomotives?
Laughing
Boris

Well, I am using the cardboard stuff from Thornes, Ive even tried cutting it in half, it just goes out!! I am putting newspaper/dried grass in first. try to get it going, start with loads of smoke, close the lid, puff like hell and as soon as I put it down for a second or even before!) it goes out! I almost spend more time trying to keep the smoker going than I do looking after the bees! Mad
Boris

I think I have got some hessian somewhere upstairs, if I can find some Ill have bash tomorrow to see if its better Crying or Very sad
arvo

Have you tried de-gunking all the holes in your smoker and checking all the structural bits, just to see that you've still got air going through all the holes it should?
chez

Tavascarow wrote:
is pufferating a means of cataloguing steam locomotives?
Laughing

*rude noise* Smile

I think the egg boxes work well because there is lots of room for the air to flow round them. Stupid question, but are you lighting it outside the smoker and then sticking the lit bit in first?
Boris

No, I am putting the stuff in first and then gradually adding bits.
chez

Try doing it the other way, then - scrumple up all the stuff in to a wodge, light the end and stick it lit end first in to the smoker. Then when you pufferate, it will drive the fire in the direction of the airflow.
Boris

OK, Ill let you know how I get on
Tavascarow

I cut a length of hessian about the same depth as the smoker, roll it up
& light one end.
Blow on it till it flames, drop it in the smoker flame down (ie burning from the bottom up) & pufferate gently but consistently.
Lots of little short puffs on the bellows just to get air in without blowing it out.
Once you have a good head of smoke I find it wont go out but keeps smouldering away until you need it or the fuels gone.
You need both hands free to work bees, nothing more annoying or confidence draining to be constantly having to reignite once you have a hive of bees open.
You could try a cheap house plant sprayer (don't use an old one that had nasties in it first) with some very dilute syrup
(50g to the litre) & a splash of cider vinegar.
It doesn't have the same effect as smoke but works.
& doesn't disturb the bees as much.
A fine mist of liquid will clear the tops of bars etc
Smoke puts bees into a panic, they literally think their home is about to burn down.
To much & it can be worse than none at all & certain operations like finding the queen can be harder when they have been smoked.
Boris

Thats very helpful, thanks, Ill try it and see if the hessian works
Pam
Boris

PS, Do you need newspaper underneath? Or do you just use the one piece of hessian, nothing else?

Pam
Tavascarow

Just the hessian.
Like I said earlier it needs to be untreated.
Upholsterers hessian has fire retardant & won't burn at all.
Tavascarow

Builders use untreated hessian for frost & weather protection on walls that are curing.
You can buy a 50m x 1m roll of the stuff for about £25.00 from building supply firms.
If you know a friendly builder he might have some.
Or old hessian sacks would do.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home