Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
JB

Why is a rabbit's liver so large?

Why is a rabbit's liver so large? It seems disproportionately large for a relatively small animal!

(just occured to me as I was cooking at the weekend)
Northern_Lad

Maybe they drink too much.
cab

I find that the older the rabbit, the bigger the liver. I guess that its all to do with its veggie diet, its got a lot of plant toxins to break down all its life.

But its worth remembering that livers are always bigger than you're expecting them to be. The first time you see a whole beef liver, its kind of amazing.

The biggest liver relative to the size of the animal (at least of animals I've gutted) is a squirrel. How the heck a squirrel packs in a liver like that I don't know.
sean

I've seen some fairly large livers inside people.
Northern_Lad

sean wrote:

I which previous life: medical or retail?
cab

sean wrote:

Having never seen a human liver... How big is one of our livers?
sean

Two or three rugby ball's worth. Heavy too, as anyone who's held a liver retractor for three or four hours can tell you.
dpack

mmhm pate
vegplot

dpack wrote:
mmhm pate

Lecter's the name, long pig's the game.
gil

sean wrote:
Two or three rugby ball's worth. .

eh ? I couldn't fit 2-3 rugby balls into my entire torso, let alone any other organs or bits - I'm sure my liver's not that big.
Brownbear

gil wrote:
sean wrote:

eh ? I couldn't fit 2-3 rugby balls into my entire torso, let alone any other organs or bits - I'm sure my liver's not that big.

Maybe if you took a Swiss Army knife and used the innards-unfurling tool, you'd find that your abdomen had the properties of a Tardis.
vegplot

gil wrote:
sean wrote:

Average is 2kg but as low as 1.2 kg - for a healthy liver.

Edit. Human, not rabbit.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home