Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Hairyloon

WiFi hangups

I'm having some trouble connecting tonight: the Wifi shows as connected on the taskbar, but I appear to have no connection.
If I disconnect then reconnect it works for a while...

Could be the router, could be the PC, could be the software...

Any top tips on diagnosing which?
buzzy

I thought that was just the way wifi always worked! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Henry

PS Could be the telephone line?
Hairyloon

PS Could be the telephone line?

My first diagnostic step when the connection stops is to log into the router for a look: here I cannot, so it suggests the problem is between here and there.
Barefoot Andrew

Do you know if anything has changed since the last time it worked reliably? (Router firmware update, Windows update on your PC etc).

Get hold of a free wifi analystics app, either for phone or PC. I use NetGear Wifi Analytics for Android. It's free, and isn't tied to NetGear products.

Check for signal strength, and whether any nearby wifi is on a conflicting channel number.

A.
Hairyloon

Do you know if anything has changed since the last time it worked reliably? (Router firmware update, Windows update on your PC etc).

It is a fairly new router: we changed because the boss was having similar problems. That was not long before we went away, and I'm not sure if I'd given it a proper testing before we went.

I'm trying a different laptop right now; it's slow, but hasn't failed so far...
Suggests the problem is with my machine...
Will try my machine under Linux later: should give a clue whether it's hardware or soft.

Quote:
Get hold of a free wifi analystics app, either for phone or PC. I use NetGear Wifi Analytics for Android. It's free, and isn't tied to NetGear products.

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Any recommendations for PC? The android is a bit cluttered.
Slim

My old router started doing that, and it got progressively worse as the days marched forward until I finally bought a new wifi router.

I know you've already said yours is relatively new, so I'm not being much help here..... Laughing

The wifi analytics tool that helped me find a less-populated channel was also useful, but only prolonged the suffering in my case.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home