Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
pip

wild damsons in mid wales

This is probably a bit of a long shot but does anyone know the whereabouts of any wild damson trees in mid-wales?... I'm not far from Elan Valley where I intend to start the search..
jamanda

Hi Pip. Welcome to the site. Unfortunately even if people know of spots that they are willing to share, this has been an awful year for fruit so there may not be any to pick Sad
pip

Thanks Jamanda, I've heard the same... am kinda hoping to find a few hardy little fruits like damsons or sloes.. enough for a couple pots jam and a jar of gin Wink
chicken feed

miles away from you i know but i went to check my usual wild damson spot this week in the slim hope of finding a small crop when in fact it was not too bad a crop at all Cool we are now proud owners of next years damson gin supply .......we had almost given up hope of any Laughing

next i will have to check the sloe's & blackberries we have some vodka waiting to meet some fruits Cool
jamanda

Actually the bullaces here aren't too bad, but I found a pile from last year still in the freezer, so I'll give them a miss.

Not a single plum on my Mum's mystery plum trees.
pip

Just had a look where I found sloes last year and there isn't any.. blackberries look a bit more promising so may rely on them for jam and maybe some kind of blackberry liqueur instead of sloe gin.
jamanda

Blackberry whisky works well.
pip

Sounds great; think I'll give it a go!

Trying to work out what your signature means..
jamanda

Sounds great; think I'll give it a go!

Trying to work out what your signature means..

Laughing Copy and paste it into Google.
pip

excellent! had asked the other half as he's welsh and said it translated as 'my flying boat is full of eels' ... thought I'd best check Wink
jamanda

He was pretty much on the mark then Laughing

Is that the Nante Brest Canal in the pictures on your Bog?
pip

yes.. if you fight through our brambles etc you can arrive on the towpath..
jamanda

yes.. if you fight through our brambles etc you can arrive on the towpath..

That's cool. We kayaked down there once, when we were camping before we had Ben, maybe even before we were married - gosh I feel old now. Laughing
Cathryn

Hello Pip

We have sloes on the hedges around here so I would keep looking. Thecultivated plum is not looking good though but it did rather over do it last year. I cannot off hand think of any wild plum trees but I wouldn't give up yet if I was you.
pip

Thanks! I'll keep looking then Smile mochyn

Hello Pip! Big wave from Twitterland... pip

*waves* Hi there Mochyn Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home