Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
stuovenden

Wild leaf and flower salad

I had quite a successful morning foraging for salad leaves and flowers yesterday...

• Ox-eye daisy leaves
• Dandelion leaves
• Lesser celandine (leaves and flowers)
• Hairy bittercress (leaves and flowers)
• Pink dead nettle (leaves and flowers)
• White dead nettle (leaves and flowers)
• Common vetch shoots
• Gorse flowers

Has anyone else found anything interesting for the salad bowl?

judith

What a beautiful picture.
mochyn

We have plenty of wild sorrel (amongst other things).
Truffle

Re: Wild leaf and flower salad

I had quite a successful morning foraging for salad leaves and flowers yesterday...

• Ox-eye daisy leaves
• Dandelion leaves
• Lesser celandine (leaves and flowers)
• Hairy bittercress (leaves and flowers)
• Pink dead nettle (leaves and flowers)
• White dead nettle (leaves and flowers)
• Common vetch shoots
• Gorse flowers

Has anyone else found anything interesting for the salad bowl?

amazing photo- professional?
truffle
sean

Lovely photograph.
Wild garlic's good in a salad, either the young leaves which are around now or the flowers which will be out in a bit.
Young leaves of ground elder are surprisingly (to me anyway) nice in a celeryish sort of way.
bubble

stuovenden ,are you sure lesser celandine leaves and flowers are edible??? Very Happy
stuovenden

I certainly hope so; they're no. 5 in the 'Top ten wild foods for March' guide on this 'ere site! Smile

http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Finding_food/Top_Ten_Wild_Foods_in_March/

Joking aside, I've a couple of good books that I refer to (including Miles Irving's) - plus I always try a small amount of any new find 24hrs before eating it properly in case of allergic reaction.

Many thanks for the kind words on the photograph (Truffle - I am indeed!). [/url]
stuovenden

...although Robin Harford disagrees. Ooo-err.

http://www.eatweeds.co.uk/lesser-celandine-stroganoff
Treacodactyl

And PFAF also suggest caution: http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Ranunculus%20ficaria
bubble

...although Robin Harford disagrees. Ooo-err.

http://www.eatweeds.co.uk/lesser-celandine-stroganoff
because of that ,count me out of this salad!!!I'd much rather eat stuff thats safer [esp. after eating solanum nigrum-black nightshade- in Crete which the locals eat -included in with amaranthus retroflexus[Amaranth] ]and not feeling very well after!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy stuovenden

I've looked into this further; the consensus seems to be that a few flowers and leaves in the mix (which is what I used) are fine, but if you go mad and start eating bags of the stuff you might be in trouble. I've found arguments on both sides; not sure which to go with so will err on the side of caution... gz

A very interesting blog too Very Happy wildfoodie

I'm a great fan of violet leaves and flowers in salad and some of the fatter and juicier common daisy leaves growing in wetter areas of the lawn. Smile
I use lesser celandine ( Marcus Harrison from wild food school in Lostwithiel covers it on his courses )
I go for the palest and youngest leaves as a cooking herb, and only use a few flowers and leaves raw.

Oh I also found coltsfoot flowers on a walk yesterday - a bit of a dry texture but quite pleasant with a sweetish slightly liquorice/aniseed flavouring. I haven't used them in a while - they fell off my wild food radar for some reason!
EatWeeds

Hi Folks,

Thanks for pointing to my stroganoff recipe. However since writing the article I now no longer recommend eating Lesser Celandine raw, and have updated the article accordingly. The leaves contain protoanemonin which is toxic, but destroyed by heat and drying.

Beggars in the Middle Ages would rub the sap of the plant on their skin to induce fake sores, in order to garner money from unsuspecting folk.

I think that should make it pretty clear what this plant in its raw state can do...

My site is an on going personal experiement, and as I walk down the Green Path I learn and discover more and more each year.

Deep peace...

Robin
Barefoot Andrew

I managed to miss this thread first time round.

What a beautiful picture.

Certainly is.
A.
nwpig

I could not find when this was posted however, i wanted to give an aternative list of possibles.
I will add that i live on the coast. hence the last four
Picked yesterday
wild garlic shoots (under story)
wild garlic flowers
very young lime leaves & buds
very young beech leaves
hawthorn leaves very young...can be quite dry though
wild chive
three cornered leek & flowers
wild coastal mint shoots
wild coastal margoram shoots
young bristol onion buds
vetch or wild pea shoots (only very young)
fennel fronds
lambs sorrel
sea shore
purslane shoots
rock samphire shoots
scurvy grass flowers
alexander flowers

The one probably that few of you are aware would be bristol onion. The first ever conservation plant of brunels wife. only found in and around brsitol and ooastal areas.
EatWeeds

I'd add the following coastal estuary plants which I picked yesterday:

Sea beet
Sea purslane
Orache
Sea aster
Sea plantain
Navelwort
Hogweed shoots
Garlic mustard/Jack by the hedge
Nipplewort
jamanda

It is an old thread, but still of interest.

Welcome to the forum nwpig Very Happy .

I'm currently putting together a Spring foraging article, but I don't have access to the coastal plants. If someone could get some photos we could make a separate article for them.
AnnaD

I just wanted to add; vetch is lovely and one of my favourite wild salad leaves. It tastes just like pea shoots, being in the same family, so I recommend it. It also looks pretty. nwpig

It is an old thread, but still of interest.

Welcome to the forum nwpig Very Happy .

I'm currently putting together a Spring foraging article, but I don't have access to the coastal plants. If someone could get some photos we could make a separate article for them.
you could always flick through fork magazine and my articles written on foraging every season covered..
jamanda

Do you have a link? Ipso-phyto

just recently its been all about the last of the sweet violet flowers, and getting into hedge bedstraw tops, wild rape pre - flowering tops, as well as greater burnett , jack in the hedge flowering stem tops,ground ivy, cant get enough of the hogweed shoots(hedgerow asparagus), wild chervil stems and leaves...but the best thing this spring was the sea arrow grass, which tastes like coriander! jamanda

Sea arrow grass? What's that then? wildfoodie

Jamanda wrote:
Sea arrow grass? What's that then?

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Triglochin+maritima

interesting. I've not heard of it as an edible before now.
Ipso-phyto

Sea arrow grass

I would have answered earlier but have been uber busy finishing off my book about medicinal and edible plants.

Ive only just encountered Sea arrow grass (Triglochin maritima) whilst down working with miles irving a few weeks back.

It looks a little like chives in its clump forming habit and in its appearance, having thin, cylindrical leaves. It grows on estuaries and apparantly fetches £80 per kg in them there fancy london places that the forager sells the hedgerow to.

Pfaf dont rate it (edibility rating 1) at all, and the poisonous word comes up during research.

Quite what is nasty i dont know, but once again i would guess that small amounts are fine. The coriander taste is divine to my palate. It grows on many coastal areas in Britain
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home