Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
zigs

wild leeks & dogfish

from sunday nights fishing trip, the leeks were fantastic, so much smell & flavour. its been bred out of the cultivated strains in favour of size. the wild leeks grow in clumps, so are quite thin. will collect some seed later in the year & grow it on at a decent spacing. if i can increase the size without flavour loss, that would be great.

dogfish were excelent too. Smile
Jonnyboy

How did you cook the hounds?
zigs

filleted & shallow fried with a breadcrumb & seasoned batter, would have brined & smoked them, but have run out of oak chippings.

was disturbed for a bit when we found the remains of a womans body on the chesil, we suddenly thought "what fish have we been eating over christmas, have they fed on her? confused2 " but it was too late by then, the smoked doggies & pollack we shared over christmas were delicious & enjoyed by all. angel5
Gavin Bl

Sorry, did you say you found the remains of a woman's body on the beach? Jesus, that must have been awful.
zigs

Gavin Bl wrote:
Sorry, did you say you found the remains of a woman's body on the beach? Jesus, that must have been awful.

bit disturbing, i'm used to seeing human bones, working on churches for the past 12 years, every time you dig into a church floor there is a bit of someone, just not used to finding fresh remains.

The womans name was ann Sad

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/search/display.var.1102493.0.foot_on_beach_is_missing_womans.php
dpack

umm
Gavin Bl

that sucks, for all concerned...

cheers
Gav
zigs

its part of the course, if you go forraging then sooner or later you're going to find something unexpected. i was more shocked when i came across a dead canada goose whilst mushrooming, now that made I jump.

off to abbotsbury in a minute, fishing & might have just a few more leeks, will check out the sea beet & sea kale while im there.

if any of you are near a remote bit of beach you can visit regular then its worth piling shingle round the sea kale as it grows to blanch the shoots, takes some of the bitterness away.

anyone got a use for 20,000 empty pantene shampoo bottles that have washed up the entire chesil from the container ship wreck?
bernie-woman

ziggy searchfield wrote:
anyone got a use for 20,000 empty pantene shampoo bottles that have washed up the entire chesil from the container ship wreck?

Rolling Eyes Wonder why they are empty - surely they can't all have been full to start with Confused

I understand that a couple of weeks ago Branscombe was covered in chocolate biscuits and is now being cleared of huge quantities of hypodermic needles Confused
zigs

bernie-woman wrote:
ziggy searchfield wrote:

Rolling Eyes Wonder why they are empty - surely they can't all have been full to start with Confused

I understand that a couple of weeks ago Branscombe was covered in chocolate biscuits and is now being cleared of huge quantities of hypodermic needles Confused

the tops are all over the place too Sad god only knows what all those saponins are doing to the marine wildlife, have found syringes too.

just before the gulf war, a ship being loaded down at plymouth lost some drums of anthrax antidote, i fished 5 vials out of west bay harbour, it was date stamp up by about 6 months, so we were sending our troups out to fight with useless antidote, lucky it wasnt used against us then.

old bill didn't like it when i handed it in, they didn't know what to do with it.
Cathryn

This one of those reassuring threads I try to avoid. Sad
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home