Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
nettie

Wild mushroom Duxelle

Can someone give me a definitive recipe for this please? I just googled it and have seen so many variations I'm confused! Some use parsley, some use thyme, some use nutmeg, some use nothing but mushroom and onions.

If I was to make it up and then pop it into a stew or something would the mushies be much the same as if they were fresh?
cab

Re: Wild mushroom Duxelle

It's traditional, so there are as many recipes as there are people who make it Smile

If you want the shrooms for a stew, cut them enough to flick out the maggots and then put them in a pan with some softened down shallot or onion, maybe some garlic, maybe some thyme, maybe some parsley. I myself use onion and thyme, and also some pepper. Cook them down on a low heat with enough oil to stop them sticking until they're mostly dry. Let 'em cool and freeze.

I normally used dried mushrooms for stew and soup, and duxelle for pate, ravioli, etc. I think that some duxelles are quite superb; last year we were immensely lucky to be inundated with the prince, in May, and they cook down to the best duxelle I know. Horse mushrooms are also good, but parasol duxelle isn't quite so successful. Blewit duxelle is so strongly flavoured it's almost unpleasant... What else have I made... Errm... Pluteus duxelle tastes of very little, Agrocybe cylindracea is excellent... Clouded agaric is good but alledgedly toxic... Never been impressed with puffball duxelle (doesn't seem to reduce to far), boletus is better dried.
nettie

Thanks Cab, well I bit the bullet anyway and went for onion, garlic, nutmeg and lemon thyme. I had a variety of mushrooms in there - parasols, horse mushrooms, field mushrooms and tawny grisettes.

It's come out lovely - I think I'll use it as a base for soup, as well as for pate. There are loads more horse mushrooms on the way from a new little patch I found today ( they might actually be agaricus excellens or whatever it's called - as the tops are slightly yellow/buff and a couple have a more pointy top, and with weeny little fluffy sort of scales all over.) They're blimmin' delicious. Which makes up for the fact that some b&$+&^d plundered my lovely crop of parasols before they'd even opened. Grrr!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home