Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Stacey

Will jo public/discerning buyer pay more for a cushion or ..

wall hanging ,do you think?

Sorry to flood the board a bit but I have 8 days until the most important show I've done so far Embarassed
bernie-woman

I understand that this is probably not going to help that much but it depends - for me I would be looking at the amount of work that had gone into both and the size of each Very Happy
Stacey

I've always assumed that somehing like a wallhanging would have a higher percieved value somehow but with the current trend for all things home I'm not sure any more.

Regarding work and size etc - it's exactly the same piece - just if I turn it into a cushion it'll have a pad inside it Very Happy
Jb

I'm always astounded at the price of cushions. Even with no design and the simplest piece of fabric it seems that people can charge a fortune for them.
woodsprite

Heres what I think, for what its worth. Very Happy
To Joe public a cushion will have wider appeal. Buying a wallhanging is like buying a painting, its a statement. Some people buy a painting on impulse but the majority will not. They will want to know that it 'fits' with their room scheme, colours etc. Therefore I think a cushion is a more saleable item.
Hope that makes sense and by the by, I'm a wallhanging sorta girl myself! Laughing
hedgewitch

I'd agree with Woodsprite (glad I checked before typing all that Laughing ).

But... do you want a piece on your stand that makes a big splash? If so, a wall hanging might be better impact-wise than a cushion. Although less saleable on the day.
woodsprite

I agree, absolutely!! Very Happy
Stacey

Fantastic! You're right! Better to sell 10 cushions at a slightly lower price than have a wallhanging err.....hanging around.... for ages.

I went to a training sesion for how to set out or units last night and I'm going to have suspended shelving etc so there won't really be any space for a wallhanging anway as my shell has 2 open sides Rolling Eyes @ self -
Jb

How large are your wall hangings? If it's small enough and doesn't sell it could always become cushions and if it's large enough then it's a flag to draw people's attention (probably still not the big seller though)
cab

We've never bought a wall haning or a cushion. We've bought 'cushion pads' and she's made covers (these patchwork people, you know what they're like, any opportunity they get they'll cut up lots of decent sized bits of fabric and then sow them back together).

More likely to buy cushions, but never at the kind of price they're usually sold at.
Stacey

cab wrote:

More likely to buy cushions, but never at the kind of price they're usually sold at.

Me neither Cab but thankfully neither you, or I, are my 'market Very Happy
Stacey

JB wrote:
How large are your wall hangings? If it's small enough and doesn't sell it could always become cushions and if it's large enough then it's a flag to draw people's attention (probably still not the big seller though)

Good idea Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home