Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Stacey

Will people buy handmade goods in January?

I've been offered a place at an event in Ipswich on 19th/20th of January. However, it's £200 for the smallest pitch and my concern is that people won't be buying my sort of stuff in January and so soon after christmas.
judith

It sounds like an odd time to me. I would imagine most people are recovering financially from Christmas then.

ETA or expecting bargains, like the January sales.
Stacey

It is a weird time isn't it? That and the fact that they're looking to sell pitches by 'cold calling' makes me think it may be a no-goer.
judith

It's also a long way to go for something that sounds a bit iffy.
alison

People will be getting credit card bills then too, if they bought Christmas on the card, so may decide about then to curb spending.
bernie-woman

alison wrote:
People will be getting credit card bills then too, if they bought Christmas on the card, so may decide about then to curb spending.

That is what I think too - it is my busiest time of the year as a debt caseworker Confused
Stacey

Yeah, think I'll give it a miss. Thanks.

It might be useful for people browsing and getting future customers but I haven't got £200 to spend on marketing right now.
mochyn

Quite honestly, I wouldn't touch it with a proverbial.
Went

We used to do a craft fair in Derbyshire - Jan Feb and March were always empty - just the odd (and I mean odd) day tripper looking to pass a few minutes.
Andy B

Most people get paid before xmas, so Jan payday is a long way off, plus the wheather can be bad then. I woulndt do it myself.
gil

Another vote for no, too, Stacey.
lettucewoman

yes -and any money they did have spare would have been used in the "january sales"...why are there sales in january anyway? Used to really frustrate me - for 2 reasons - one I rarely have any money left after Christmas, and 2 when they reduce something I paid full price for for Xmas it annoys the hell out of me!!
kaz

I would say no as well - Jan and Feb are always slow retail months.
Brownbear

Why not offer them a cut of your profits, up to a bit over what they're asking for advance payment? At least you'd not be shelling out £200+ with the risk of damn all back in return, and if they say no thanks, then you're no worse off.
Nick

Stacey wrote:
It is a weird time isn't it? That and the fact that they're looking to sell pitches by 'cold calling' makes me think it may be a no-goer.

They haven't sold them by now. That should tell you all you need to know, I'm afraid.
btp

hi stacey we are doing farmers markets on the first and 3rd weekend of jan only because we have regular orders

if its new i wouldnt touch it at that price also if you compare it to a north west fine food event they are usually booked up 6 months in advance and are estabilished

hope this helps you decide

cheers brian

as its late ask them for a free pitch this somtimes works as they don't like empty pitches
Goatlady

January sales

Hi Stacey
I do farmers markets and also craft markets (two totally differnt buisinesses-products)

January is definately not worth paying £200 for in my opinion Exclamation
Stacey

I had another email the other day checking if I was going to book a stall. If they're chasing people up at this late stage I guess they aren't exactly overwhelmed with bookings.

I haven't booked any for this year - not sure if I'm going to carry on.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home