Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Cathryn

Willow

In January we went and cut a couple of dozen willow twigs from my Mums trees, some were at least fourty years old some about eight. Just slender branches and they were simply pushed into soggy ground, along what will be a hedge. Most have taken and are pushing out leaves. Smile I still find this amazing and wonderful. I want to do the same with hazel but it's quite rare on the farm. When the ones we've planted have grown enough I will be populating the hedges with more and more of them.
Rob R

We're going to plant up the wet corner behind the reedbed with willows next winter (once the digger has been in and landscaped it a bit). I was inspired by a visit to Pennine Camphill Community and seeing their coppice bed. Smile

The willow behind the pond is just coming out in leaf too - looks lovely hanging over the water.
Cathryn

I like it, it fringes all my Mums fields as they are surrounded by a ditch (probably sounds very familiar). I also think (like to think) that it is grazed for it's salicilic acid when stock is feeling unwell.
sean

Can people who don't have willow bordering their fields buy aspirin licks for their livestock then?
Rob R

The stock eating the willow in the soakaway certainly gives me a headache... Twisted Evil
VSS

We planted a load of willow slips this way above the fruit trees to soak up the water that was running down the hill. They have dried it up brilliantly.
mochyn

I'd like to plant some willows, the ornamental types with brightly coloured new growth. Being me, I don't wan to pay for them though!

Anyone got any?
sean

Not I. Though for some reason you've just reminded me of my grandmother who used to just march into people's garden's and take a cutting if she saw something she fancied. You could try getting some that way.
jamanda

Come and visit and we'll let you loose in Rosemoor Laughing
mochyn

You two have got me completely wrong! Laughing I really can;t stand people who take cutting or even seedpods without asking. I just fancy a stand of willos with lovely coloured shoots but cant afford to buy any!
sean

I didn't think you would really. A friend of mine's parents stopped doing the open garden thing because people would turn up and dig up whole plants, never mind just taking cuttings. Shocked
Nicky cigreen

willow is amazing stuff - we planted up a little area for trees - and took the advice of going for what else is growing well locally - so we have ash, willow and alder. we did sneak in a sweet chestnut.. and it died.. we filled in the gaps with just poking bits of willow in the ground.. they have all taken.

last autumn we cut down a corkscrew willow in our garden that was dragging a wall down with it - himself has had a nice time wittling bits of that so it was left where it was until he had taken the wood he wanted. cleared some of it up today. just logs lying about.. they had sprouted roots and new buds. willow is determined.
Green Rosie

I have a horrible feeling that the dogwood branches I am using to support my polytunnel peas are rooting Shocked
Sally Too

Dog wood roots really easily! I have a hedge that prooves that point!

As for willow - I just planted a weeping willow. It has lovely yellow branches... Cool

I also planted (from twigs) a willow house a few years ago... well okay a ring of willow that I pretend looks like a sort of den/house for the kids! (Who are now that it looks good have mostly grown up!)
Green Rosie

Dog wood roots really easily! I have a hedge that prooves that point!

I may now have a dogwood hedge in my polytunnel Laughing
blossom

To prevent rooting last year, I put my willow wattles in with the 'cuttings' upside down. Didn't work - they still rooted - sigh Rolling Eyes
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home