Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Hairyloon

Windows Sound problem.

I have here a PC which has been built up out of cast off parts from a friend.
The video card appears to have sound capabilities as well, but the output is through them doing something clever to send it through the video pins so you need a special adaptor which we don't have.
This shouldn't be a big problem as the motherboard has sound built in, but windows doesn't seem to pick it up: I assume the audio in the video card is confusing it.
I could get around the problem by installing another sound card, but what I've got seems to work well enough under Linux, so why not on Windows?
Jb

If it works in linux but not windows then surely its not a problem with an adapter that you don't have?
Hairyloon

If it works in linux but not windows then surely its not a problem with an adapter that you don't have?

A good point, clearly I was not clear: the onboard sound on the motherboard works on Linux.
Linux also gives me the option of using the sound on the graphics card, but I've no means (that I've found) of sending that to the speakers.
Windows doesn't seem to find the onboard sound.
Jb

OK that makes sense now. Usually I've found issues like that to be due to windows missing drivers for a chip set that it supports but hasn't been able to identify. In most cases I've solved that by using linux to identify the hardware it can find and then google for the corresponding windows driver.
Hairyloon

I think (though without certainty) that we had the driver disk for the motherboard when we set it up, and I'd normally expect it to show up in device manager as being there without drivers.
I'll have another look and get back to you...
Shane

The sound stopped working on mine the other day (Windows 7). A driver reinstall fixed it.
Hairyloon

I had a look and I think Windows is not seeing the on-board sound at all.
There is only one sound device showing in device manager and I think that is the one in the video card.

This is Windows XP, which I know is obsolete, but there are not many things that I want it for, so I don't see the sense in paying for a newer version.
Maybe I should try harder to get the things I want windows for to work under Linux, but I've never yet had much success with WINE.
SteveP

Have you checked the onboard sound is not turned off at the bios?
Jb

If that were the case it wouldn't work in Linux
Hairyloon

If that were the case it wouldn't work in Linux

That and I've not seen anything in the BIOS to do that.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home