Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
natty

wine making problems-fizzing but it's not a referment?

Hi all,
First time poster here hoping someone out there will know what's going on.
I've just had a few demijohns of wine on the go and was about to bottle the other day when I found they has all started bubbling through the airlock! I'd done Sg readings ages ago and know they had fermented to dry (ie below a reading of 1.010 and some below 1.000). I made them in the summer (end of autumn time).

I have a strong suspicion it has to do with the fact I left my heating on all day by accident-appart from the massive gas bill I'm going to face I 'm worried it's ruined my wine. Taste wise its excellent- really lovely its just fizzy. The plum and barley has settled down now but I did a marigold and orange, and a hedgerow(ie elderbeery, blackberry, plum and apple) and these two are very fizzy!
I'm happy to drink them but will I be able to bottle them or is this one of those big exploding wine bottle no no's?!

Can anyone explain whats happening? Funny really I just brewed some beer and have the oposite problem-everything is flat!!!!
Anyway Cheers guys sorry for the long mail.
natty Wink
Treacodactyl

Hi natty and welcome to the site. What does the wine taste like? I tend to go on taste more than a hydrometer reading. If it tastes sweet or sweetish then it sounds like it's fermenting again, I think a dry wine will be less than 1.000.

I've bottled a lightly sparkling wine before but ensure the corks are free to pop out rather than let the bottles break. If the wine isn't drunk quickly then it may ferment more when the weather warms up.

Probably best to let the wine ferment out somewhere warm if you can I think.
RichardW

failing leaving it a bit longer a camden tab will stop the fermentaion. I think dry is 980 but been a long time since I have done brewing.

Justme
gil

Hi Natty, welcome to Downsizer Smile

TD's advice is good - let it carry on fermenting in DJs in a warm place until all the SGs are below 1000 (the closer you go to 990 the less risk of bottle explosion, though I've had a wine down at 990 still turn out lightly sparkling).

Campden tablets will stun the yeast but not kill it - thus if temperature rises again, wine may start refermenting. The only thing that will guarantee killing the yeast is potassium sorbate, but I've never used it.
natty

cheers guys,
I think one of them certainly tastes sweet. The thing that confuses me most is I'm certain the SG level went up on a couple of them! As far as I can work out there is just no way that can happen is there? the only change appart from the heat was finning agents (kwik clear) of kieselsol and gelatine but that would have been unlikely to release sugars? I though maybe it was the kind of referment you get sometimes with things like elderflower wines in the spring...

Anyway, I think you are right, i'll just have to wait it out and see what happens-no point risking it I guess. I found a good site on line somwhere that went over the pro/cons of using camdent tablets and potassium sorbate: apparently it just stops the yeast from reproducing so it wouldn't necessarily stop a ferment just prevents restarts.
Anyway I can still drink the wine I just can't give any away as presents quite yet!
cheers, natty Wink
James

It may be a malo-lactic fermentation.

This occurs in wines rich in malic acid- such as plum and apple.
A bacteria infects the wine and breaks down malic acid producing carbon dioxide and lactic acid. The lactic acid is less acidic than the malic acid, so the wine ends up being slightly smoother, with a bit of sparkle.
If the wine is dry then the bacteria will not do anything else, but if its sweet the bacteria may act on the sugar as well, producing off flavours.
If it is a M-L fermerntation, the clear wine should be racked into champagne or beer bottles and drunk young.
gil

SG readings can appear to rise depending on tempertaure : in hot summer or in a heated fermentation cupboard, SG is lower (you're supposed to compensate by adding back). In winter, and if you've kept te wine in a cold place, SG of same wine will read higher.

Hydrometers are calibrated to work at 59 degrees AFAIK.
In my fermentation chamber, temp is 65, so I adjust SGs up by 2 when reading.
RichardW

natty wrote:

Anyway I can still drink the wine I just can't give any away as presents quite yet!
cheers, natty Wink


I thought it was still illegal to sell trade or give away home made alcohol?

I know they reduced the nrules ref small producers for ciders & perrys but dont thinkmit included wines.

Justme
bimini

Justme wrote:


I thought it was still illegal to sell trade or give away home made alcohol?

I know they reduced the nrules ref small producers for ciders & perrys but dont thinkmit included wines.

Justme


AFAIK giving is fine...selling/trading etc is not.
gil

Justme wrote:
I thought it was still illegal to sell trade or give away home made alcohol?

I know they reduced the nrules ref small producers for ciders & perrys but dont thinkmit included wines.

Justme


No, giving away homemade wine as presents or raffle prizes is also fine.

And it is not the amount that you produce that matters, but whether you are licensed to make it for sale. As long as a person doesn't sell their wine or beer, they can make as much as they like for private use, including genuine presents.
natty

Hmm, very interesting guys.
M-L ferment would seem to explain it more. I don't have champagne or beer bottles so although its not pretty do you think those 2 litre plastic fizzy bottles would do? they do hold a lot of pressure I think-more than woudl be generated by beer anyway, but as to wine I'm not really sure?
What do you think? Wink
doctoral

natty wrote:
Hmm, very interesting guys.
M-L ferment would seem to explain it more. I don't have champagne or beer bottles so although its not pretty do you think those 2 litre plastic fizzy bottles would do? they do hold a lot of pressure I think-more than woudl be generated by beer anyway, but as to wine I'm not really sure?
What do you think? Wink


I use the plastic bottles for Elderflower wine every year - that is always sparkling and I have never had an explosion ... yet occasion7
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Array Home Home Home