Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
sally_in_wales

Winter projects?

I suspect a lot of us will be thinking that if the forcasted weather is as cold and possibly snowy as it might be over the end of the week and weekend to come, that it might be a good opportunity to hole up inside and get on with some craftwork. What is on your list of things to make if its too yuk to get outside for a few days?
tahir

Finish off the concrete worktop in the laundry room. Still needs a bit more grinding, then seal and wax.

Click to see full size image

Once we've done that we've got to sand and oil the bannisters for the staircase.
mochyn

That surface looks good.
tahir

Yeah, not sure how the sealing and waxing will change the colour but we'd like to keep it that light.
tahir

I never got round to drinking that cuppa
gil

If it's that cold, I'll be making a fire in the woodburner, a pot of tea, and a nest of bedding to burrow into.

The knitlist for January and February includes
- socks (see below)
- mitts (same stitch pattern as socks)
- shawl

And I've been having a few crafting annoyances recently, and I might try to sort or progress one or other of them :

- the thing knitted on the wrong-sized needles because I didn't have the right size, and yes, it really did matter, so it needs to be undone and the yarn rewound into balls. This yarn is jinxed; it was previously used to knit a cardigan that turned out the wrong size and that I undid.

- the 'hand-dyed with natural dyes' sock yarn I bought at Woolfest last summer that turned out to be too thin for the size of sock needles I usually use, so the sock was too small, and has been ripped out and started again three times SO FAR, and is now really irritating me (see socks above)

- the seemingly never-ending small bag of fleece that I am really bored with spinning, but I can't stop yet because there wouldn't enough to knit anything with.
tahir

Love that stitch Gil
gil

Thanks ! I think the end result will be worth the effort. There isn't an ordinary 'knit' stitch in it, apart from on the sole.
tahir

Thanks ! I think the end result will be worth the effort.

Well, depends, looks like a looot of effort is going to go in, how long did that bit take to knit?
gardening-girl

Trying to knit a lace shawl.
I have just frogged the lot for the second time.
My counting and concentration is not good with BTL snoring in the background.
mochyn

I'll be getting the Filmy Fern shawl out this evening (first time in a few days). It's more than just a winter's work, though. 2mm needles, 1860 sts...
tahir

I'll be getting the Filmy Fern shawl out this evening (first time in a few days). It's more than just a winter's work, though. 2mm needles, 1860 sts...

You knitty people are crazy. (I'm not, really Embarassed )
gil

Thanks ! I think the end result will be worth the effort.

Well, depends, looks like a looot of effort is going to go in, how long did that bit take to knit?

That was spread over about 3 days/evenings, I think.
And it was still too tight so I had to rip it out, and have yet to start again.
gil

That's a scary amount of stitches. How do you fit them on the needles ? What length is the cord of your circs ? Is it a circular shawl ?
tahir

Like I said you knitty people... gardening-girl

God,I`m having trouble keeping track of 67 stitches! Laughing Laughing
Nicky cigreen

Finish off the concrete worktop in the laundry room. Still needs a bit more grinding, then seal and wax.

Once we've done that we've got to sand and oil the bannisters for the staircase.

oh I like the look of that - is it hard to do? do you have any links for me to see the process?
mochyn

It's a circular shawl and the cable is 1m. The stitches fit on fine: it's Jamieson & Smith's cobweb, so very fine. http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/52426.aspx

Much easier than it looks! It's very easy to see where you are in the pattern from the preceding row.
cassy

Your worktop looks great tahir! Was it difficult to grind it down (or just a lot of work)?

Gil: is that the yarn you had at the guild on Saturday? The pattern is so intricate!

I'm working on a folder with samples of different fibres (spun then crocheted, woven and braided) and I thought I might try to get ahead with Mothering Sunday pressies, while the weather is keeping me indoors.
Nicky cigreen

we are trying to get the fruit trees in and fenced before any bad weather hits

indoor projects - make more stock , carry on with house renovations - really got to get on top of finances
Jb

All the projects I have depend on working outside or having done enough work outside to free up the space in the workshop. So regardless of the weather it's more work on Mrs JB's studio. cassy

we are trying to get the fruit trees in and fenced before any bad weather hits
I've got fruit trees to go in too but the ground is frozen at the minute. Resigned to waiting; they're in damp sand so should be ok for a while. Hope you get yours in in time.
vegplot

Rebuilding the T150V engine. I'll post picture later - truly exciting stuff - watching Loctite dry gil

Gil: is that the yarn you had at the guild on Saturday? The pattern is so intricate!

I'm working on a folder with samples of different fibres (spun then crocheted, woven and braided) and I thought I might try to get ahead with Mothering Sunday pressies, while the weather is keeping me indoors.

Yes, it is that yarn - I'd just undone the knitting. I'll need to get up the impetus to start again, as it had been going well (just not enough sts round).

Your samples project sounds really interesting - I'd love to see the results some time, and the differences between crochet, weave and braid.
gardening-girl

I also have fruit bushes to go in.
Too wet,too cold,working.Now we`ll have snow on our one day off duty. Rolling Eyes
lettucewoman

Well,weather or not I havea craft fair to do..so sorting and cleaning jewellery, with a bit of making...and I have knitted an owlie which needs making up! Nick

Tax returns. Bloody things. Treacodactyl

I've been making a few fix lures and tying a few salt water flies / feathers when I can't get outside.

Luckily we've missed the snow so far so I've been able to get outside to do some gardening.

Friday may be put aside to play in the snow with the dog.
Cathryn

That is a great pattern Gil. It makes me want to knit something but I think I will try and sew something for myself or at least cut out a design for a quilt that has been stuck in my head for a week or so. I'm trying to persuade myself to draw choughs and not crows but I have one of Ted Hughes poems in my head from Crow and need to deal with it. If only the space between the idea and the result wasn't quite so wide. Smile tahir

oh I like the look of that - is it hard to do? do you have any links for me to see the process?

No it's not hard, just time consuming. We just went with a combination of all the stuff we found on the interweb about concrete worktops.

We made ours in situ so we didn't have to worry about broken backs or worktops carrying it onto the units.

We didn't use any of the fancy products available, just a normal concrete mix
Nicky cigreen

No it's not hard, just time consuming. We just went with a combination of all the stuff we found on the interweb about concrete worktops.

We made ours in situ so we didn't have to worry about broken backs or worktops carrying it onto the units.

We didn't use any of the fancy products available, just a normal concrete mix

I like it - please show pictures of the waxed finished product!
might be the right thing for us to do in our kitchen,
faerienono

Packing..........and packing.......and more packing..........but if it does snow I can't get to the garage of workshop/studio, so that will have to wait. I don't intend getting too cold!
I have left some chunky wool out and I've been finishing off some animal hats, they knit up easily and are great to just relax with in an evening.
Been tempted by the lacy shawl on here though, but thinking of doing it in a double knit, if I can work out what size needles to use.....
tahir

I like it - please show pictures of the waxed finished product!
might be the right thing for us to do in our kitchen,

Will do, v cheap materials wise.
Nicky cigreen

well, now plans are disrupted with the white stuff - slush I'm going to spend the day/weekend doing more finances, making marmalade and filling out grim forms. Might build a door frame if time allows gil

So how is everyone getting on with their winter projects in this snowy weather ?

I undid and restarted that sock, and am onto the heelflap. Not really spent a lot of time crafting, though.

How about you folk ?
Mochyn : that amazing shawl of thousands of stitches ?
Tahir : worktop progress ?
CiG : marmalade, door frame ?
faerienono : packing, knitting ?
Cathryn : quilting designs, corvid or otherwise ?
JB : the workshop/studio ?

Any progress pics ?
mochyn

After a few rounds I found I'd twisted it when I joined so I'm almost back to the join, when I shall develop acunning plan to make sure I dont do it again. sean

I haven't got any pics. I've been quite good about doing more (and more regular) fiddle practice though. tahir

Worktop halted, had to sand and oil the bookshelf for the study this weekend amongst other things. Bebo

Turning a spare downstairs bedroom into a second sitting room / library. Has all been stripped out. Electrician coming in to put more power points in later in the week. Then painting before the OH uses his woodworking skills to make shelving units. gil

This is how far I've got with my sock

mochyn

Looking really good, Gil.

I'm just about to join up again: we'll soon see if the cunning plan has worked.
cassy

Nice! Very Happy gil

I finally got those socks finished today

How did everyone else's snowbound projects turn out ?
mochyn

Smashing socks, Gil.

The shawl is going well. I've done almost 20 rounds and it starts decreasing soon. Only another 360 rounds to go.
alison

Lovely Gil. Very talented. tahir

The most labour intensive socks in the world? faerienono

Scarlett has a silly cow hat that gets great comments when we are out, and people wanting to buy them, although I haven't had any firm orders yet.......
I finished the bunny hat and wore it yesterday, even went into M&S and bought a bag of carrots......the woman who served me couldn't have looked more serious if she had been at her own funeral!
Isn't it strange how adults don't permit themselves to laugh or smile these days?
faerienono

Oh and the packing continues........but the removal man brought loads of really nasty boxes, so we have asked him to remove said boxes and give us better/more suitable ones!
And we have no house to move to currently, we had to pull out from the last one because of the damning report from the surveyor!
cassy

Great socks gil!

I did some more samples but mostly played with snow and tried a bit of shibori.

ETA shibori photo

Cathryn

You'll find one and I imagine you are picking up some good ideas from all the houses you are seeing!

I am onto another two quilts, one for my son, basically black and yes with crows on (I am trying to work them out of my head) and another for a friend who is getting married at the end of March. No crows, how dull.

I finished a knitting bag for my Mum to match the needle case. She is delighted with it. It's nice to be making things for her after all the sewing she has done for me over the years.

I made a quilt for Nenna in a day! That was fun. I want to make other's for children.

I also have this book on adding lights and sound, did I mention that? Smile

I love the socks by the way Gil. I don't imagine I will ever have the patience.
gil

The most labour intensive socks in the world?

Quite possibly. Laughing

Love your dyeing projects, cassy !
And very impressed with your sewing and quilting, Cathryn - that must take ages. To plan as well as to make.
Faerienono : bunny hat - picture ? it sounds great - can't believe no-one even smiled.
Mochyn : I suppose starting with the outer edge gets the worst over quickly, but goodness, all that casting on !
mochyn

Ah: that's the cunning bit: you only cast on 5. But you have to do that 64 times. Each point is made before joining up the circle. astra

I am onto another two quilts, one for my son, basically black and yes with crows on (I am trying to work them out of my head) and another for a friend who is getting married at the end of March. No crows, how dull.

I made a quilt for Nenna in a day! That was fun. I want to make other's for children.

Any chance of some pics of the quilts Cathryn?...pretty please Very Happy
jamanda

The crow one sounds fun. Yes - photos! mochyn

I AM ON THE FIRST DECREASE ROUND! 64 sts fewer per round.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home