Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Jessevieve

Wireless connection to broadband

Can anyone tell me what I need to buy in order to connect my laptop to the internet without having cables running about the house? And, where can I find prices etc. of such things?
nora

Hi Jeseveve, I have a wireless enabled laptop. I have a Belkin wireless router which plugs into the broadband connection (telephone line) this means I can use my laptop anywhere in the house. I also have a belkin wireless gadget that plugs into my printer so that I can wirelessly print things too without having to take the laptop to connect to the printer. I got all these from pc world. Very Happy

Oooh, wireless printing, now that would make life a lot easier! Off to see the PC world website now. Thanks Very Happy
Deedee

I need to get one of those thingies too (had to get our old pc rigged up for Scott for homework)..did get a bit worried about security issues though can anyone advise what safeguards I have to have as I do all my banking etc online.I read somewhere they can intercept the signal is that right and if so how can I protect my vast fortune Laughing (I WISH Exclamation Exclamation )
Treacodactyl

Deedee wrote:
I read somewhere they can intercept the signal is that right and if so how can I protect my vast fortune Laughing (I WISH Exclamation Exclamation )

AFAIK it's true about intercepting the signal, some signals can go for miles. Shocked Often people just use you internet connection to download whatever they wish. I don't know what you can do other than not go wireless. I'm sure there's some good software out there, anyone use anything?
dougal

Ahem - I think you've missed them!
http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=4001

Security:
In order to get the signals to go "miles" you need at least a rather special aerial. A normal range of 50 yards in clear air (less with walls, especially if earthed metalwork is involved) is a reasonable expectation.
You can encrypt the network traffic to protect against evesdropping - although this is not necessarily protection against the most determined, well-equipped and patient evesdroppers.
As a different matter, you would hope that the router would allow access only to specified MAC numbers (identified pieces of equipment, yours!) and be able to hide the network name. (The Aldi one does Very Happy ). These will prevent "guests" joining your network and stealing your internet connection bandwidth, let alone anything more nefarious.
wellington womble

Is that a wireless LAN? Himself has promised me one so I can listen to radio on demand in the kitchen (but only after threatened to drill a hole in the floor for the speaker!)
dougal

wellington womble wrote:
Is that a wireless LAN?
Yes. Very Happy
"LAN" stands for Local Area Network - your own, on-site network.
Today's wireless networks use the 802.11b and 802.11g standards. b is slower than g. b and g devices can talk to one another but only at b speed. Even b is rather faster than domestic broadband. "Centrino" is just Intel's branding of the 802 standards, as incorporated in their chipsets. 802 is an alternative to ethernet. Almost every wireless router "routes" between the internet (a wide area network, WAN), and 802 AND ethernet - so you can mix, and interconnect between wired and wireless network devices.) 802 is about *networking*, which involves *sharing*. Sharing of internet access, access to special devices (like a printer) or stored data of whatever sort - family photos, company accounts, web pages, music...
Its worth bearing in mind that this is different in principle to Bluetooth, another short range radio ("wireless"!) replacement for a different sort of wired connection, such as USB, used between a controller and its own private peripheral device. Bluetooth can also be 'insecure', as I believe I read Paris Hilton discovered when her mobile phone was hacked into...

Edited: corrected 802 for 801 - Doh!
Hedonists

It's not difficult to secure a wireless network. Many times it can involve little more than selecting the "Make this connection secure" option. You might need to do a little more than that in setting up the router, etc, but it's not difficult Surprised

There's a mass of information on the web about this sort of thing. Whenever I want to buy a new piece equipment I always spend half a day (probably more) trawling through Google. You'll finds a lot of websites dealing solely with this topic. That way you can find out about other users experience of both the product and customer support.
wellington womble

Thanks, guys - if you ever want to know what the inside of your knees look like, I'm your gal, but ekeltrickery has never been my suit!

I still think it'd be easier to drill a hole in the floor, but I guess a wireless LAN is more fun!
dougal

Hedonists wrote:
It's not difficult to secure a wireless network. Many times it can involve little more than selecting the "Make this connection secure" option.

Errrr. No.
There is an encryption option in the 802.11 standard called "WEP" supposed to give equivalent security to a wired connection.
Unfortunately, it doesn't achieve anything like that.
It shields traffic from the most casual evesdropping BUT when I said "this is not necessarily protection against the most determined, well-equipped and patient evesdroppers" that is *exactly* what I meant!

Clicking on a comfortingly named setup option could easily give a false sense of security - which is actually more dangerous than a real understanding of the risks.

Let me quote from this paper:
http://www.isaac.cs.berkeley.edu/isaac/wep-draft.pdf

"The primary goal of WEP is to
protect the confidentiality of user data from eavesdrop-
ping. WEP is part of an international standard; it has
been integrated by manufacturers into their 802.11 hard-
ware and is currently in widespread use.
Unfortunately, WEP falls short of accomplishing its se-
curity goals. Despite employing the well-known and
believed-secure RC4 [12] cipher, WEP contains several
major security flaws. The flaws give rise to a number of
attacks, both passive and active, that allow eavesdrop-
ping on, and tampering with, wireless transmissions. In
this paper, we discuss the flaws that we identified and
describe the attacks that ensue."

If you still have any faith in WEP then see:
http://securityfocus.com/infocus/1814 (Dec '04)
(just read the intro...)

There is a newer protocol called "WPA" which is more secure, but not all routers can handle it.
So, reiterating
- lack of range is good security! (and so btw is a rural location - less anonymous neighbours within range!)
- use WEP
- hide your network name (so you aren't advertising your wireless network)
- restrict your wireless network to your own machines
and use a non-trivial password...
Many security experts would also want you to run additional encryption - but if you yourself aren't a bank, don't be too bothered.. Laughing
It IS damn difficult to completely secure a wireless network. Don't believe anyone that tells you anything different.
Deedee

Shocked I think I might just leave it as it is and move over when he wants to do his homework! Laughing I'm not that great on the technical side of things so would rather play it safe.I was chatting to a neighbour about this a few days ago though ,she's just got hers set up and she had no idea people could hack in.I remember my brother telling me to set up passwords if I did it as you suggested Dougal Very Happy Now I'm not working online I don't hog this one so much so for the time being I'll just stay as I am thanks everyone for bringing these points up this is something people need to be aware of.
Lloyd

Re: Wireless connection to broadband

Jesseveve wrote:
Can anyone tell me what I need to buy in order to connect my laptop to the internet without having cables running about the house? And, where can I find prices etc. of such things?

Dammit, Jesse, just sold the whole setup last week on Ebay!
Jessevieve

Never mind Madman, at least now I know it's called a router, before this posting I didn't even know what it was called let alone where to find it Laughing Anyway, I shall be off to PC world for some advice otherwise I'll probably buy the wrong thing! Smile
Jonnyboy

dougal wrote:
Ahem - I think you've missed them!
http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=4001

Security:
In order to get the signals to go "miles" you need at least a rather special aerial. A normal range of 50 yards in clear air (less with walls, especially if earthed metalwork is involved) is a reasonable expectation.
You can encrypt the network traffic to protect against evesdropping - although this is not necessarily protection against the most determined, well-equipped and patient evesdroppers.
As a different matter, you would hope that the router would allow access only to specified MAC numbers (identified pieces of equipment, yours!) and be able to hide the network name. (The Aldi one does Very Happy ). These will prevent "guests" joining your network and stealing your internet connection bandwidth, let alone anything more nefarious.

I have a Wireless node less than 10 metres from my office but have no signal due to the number of walls between my laptop and it.
joanne

My wireless router is supposed to be one of the better ones - It cost enough when I bought it but will it let you connect - will it hell - I can use the ports on the back of it with no problem at all but that sort of defeats the object.

I have to admit total and utter ignorance where wireless is concerned - I can throw together a normal lan with my eyes shut but this wireless stuff has me phazed - I got it sorta working in our old house but this new house doesn't want to play ball at all - I even bought extra long arials for it - I'm suspecting that they aren't connected up correctly inside the box as when I opened it up to tighten the screws on the arial they weren't connected to the main board - instead they just lay on top of it.

It means that my DD's PC can't connect to t'internet or the lan despite having a wireless network card in it which drives me mental as they (DD & DS) then hog my PC all the time.

At the moment it looks like I'm either going to have to buy a new router or resort to a traditional Cat 5 wired lan

Joanne
Lloyd

Shocked No idea what DD or DS mean. I ended up with Cat5 cable as I had no end of problems with my wireless connection. Cable is I believe, also quicker than wireless.
dougal

Treacodactyl wrote:
Deedee wrote:
I read somewhere they can intercept the signal is that right and if so how can I protect my vast fortune Laughing (I WISH Exclamation Exclamation )

AFAIK it's true about intercepting the signal, some signals can go for miles...

dougal wrote:
Security: In order to get the signals to go "miles" you need at least a rather special aerial. A normal range of 50 yards in clear air (less with walls, especially if earthed metalwork is involved) is a reasonable expectation.
... lack of range is good security!

Jonnyboy wrote:
I have a Wireless node less than 10 metres from my office but have no signal due to the number of walls between my laptop and it.

jocorless wrote:
... I got it sorta working in our old house but this new house doesn't want to play ball at all - I even bought extra long arials for it - I'm suspecting that they aren't connected up correctly inside the box ...

Wireless can involve a certain amount of black magic. *Excessive* range is rarely a problem.
As the distance increases, the system will step down in speed in order to maintain a working connection.
Different routers and laptops etc have differing range capabilities. Within Apple's range (with which I am most familiar) the upmarket PowerBooks (with their metal casings) offer distinctly *less* real range than their downmarket plastic cased iBook siblings - from the same basestation! (Lets gloss over the signal "strength" displays...)
Basestations with *internal* aerials can perform differently when sitting on desk or hanging on a wall - aerial vertical or horizontal!
Attaching longer external aerials can extend the range - but to get properly long range you have to use aerials that focus the signal into a narrow and highly directional beam, which then needs very careful aiming!. Note that the aerial cable is *very* delicate.

Walls - some walls are relatively transparent to the radio signals while others effectively block them. Materials, thickness, moisture content all probably matter. (Plasterboard with aluminium foil for thermal insulation might have been designed as a screen...)
Another problem is reflection. The waves bounce around - and this can mean that moving just a few inches can make or break a connection. For this reason, some better base stations have multiple ("diversity") aerials and use whichever has the best signal from moment to moment. Repositioning the base station is worth trying in order to bring a location within range.

Interference: Obviously it will work better in an area unpolluted by other radio transmissions - intended or not. So, mount the base station at least a few feet away from crt monitor screens, cell phones, cordless phones and their bases, etc... And wireless networks can operate on different channels - using a different one can sometimes give better results.

Setup: Do any laptop setup right next to the base station so that range doesn't add additional complication. Then walk it away while displaying signal strength...
joanne

Madman wrote:
Shocked No idea what DD or DS mean. I ended up with Cat5 cable as I had no end of problems with my wireless connection. Cable is I believe, also quicker than wireless.

Darling Daughter & Darling Son Very Happy
Lloyd

Embarassed Thanks, Jo!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home